PDA

View Full Version : film question?

thart2009
12-Dec-2009, 15:30
As a newbie, I have a question... I am traveling to Tucson next week and hope to spend some time photographing. I only have two film holders and one Grafmatic back for my Graflex. Is there an effective method to store exposed negatives after they have been removed from the holders? As it stands now, I can only carry 10 4x5 sheets of film loaded and ready. Thanks for ideas! :confused: :confused: Tom

bobwysiwyg
12-Dec-2009, 15:36
Empty film boxes are a good bet, but I'm assuming you don't have any or you wouldn't be asking. Not much time to find any, perhaps a member here has some available. :confused:

Gem Singer
12-Dec-2009, 15:40
Locate an empty 4X5 three piece film box. Put the exposed film back into the three piece box. Tape it shut.

Be sure to handle the film in total darkness.

While you are in Tuscon, try to include a visit to the Center for Creative Photography, located on the campus of the University of Arizona.

thart2009
12-Dec-2009, 16:02
Ah.. I do have one empty film box (and changing bag). Thank you! And a visit to the Center for Photography is now on my list. :)

ki6mf
12-Dec-2009, 16:39
Freestyle photo sells a white cardboard mailer and black 3mm poly bag starting with 5X7. You can store exposed film safely in these bags. When i shoot a back up negative I keep the first of each N-3,-2,-1 etc in a 4x5 film box and each back up negative along with exposure notes in separate bags and mailers.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?resultpage=2&rfnc=1603&mfg=160&

Mark Sawyer
12-Dec-2009, 19:15
Cardboard film boxes aren't meant to be light-proof. The plastic or foil container inside is what protects the film. Use that in conjunction with the box, or save an 8x10 paper envelope to put the film box in.

If you use a changing bag to load film, expect dust... :(

ki6mf
12-Dec-2009, 20:52
Ditto what mark said. I do keep the white cardboard from unused film boxes inside the poly bags then put everything in the cardbpard mailer. I can ship my exposed film UPS ground which also eliminates X Ray contamination when going through security at airports. Also a changing tent is better than a changing bag. I tend to vacuum my gear including film holders and inside of my camera a lot!

Bob McCarthy
12-Dec-2009, 20:59
Cardboard film boxes aren't meant to be light-proof. The plastic or foil container inside is what protects the film. Use that in conjunction with the box, or save an 8x10 paper envelope to put the film box in.

If you use a changing bag to load film, expect dust... :(

I have not found that to be true, I've used film boxes for years w/o fogging.

The plastic bags Ilford uses are reusable as they are folded and not sealed on one end, but the Kodak paper inner bag usually is not reusable.

Air flush your changing bags with canned air (no new dust introduced) and dust issues will be minimized.

bob

rguinter
13-Dec-2009, 09:19

The plastic bags Ilford uses are reusable as they are folded and not sealed on one end, but the Kodak paper inner bag usually is not reusable.

Air flush your changing bags with canned air (no new dust introduced) and dust issues will be minimized.

bob

My apology for the off-topic comments. But everyone should remember that dust-off and other canned-air products are not air. They are fluorocarbons and they come out of the can very cold due to adiabatic expansion. With liberal spraying inside a changing tent one can easily create a stratified atmosphere with areas of oxygen deficiency inside the tent. Bottom line: don't go sticking your head in there soon afterward to inspect for cleanliness. Bob G.

Gene McCluney
13-Dec-2009, 10:30
Not all film boxes are created the same. Some brands, such as Foma are just 2-piece boxes with the film inside a black plastic bag. Others, such as Kodak are 3-piece boxes and the film inside a sealed foil pouch. The 3-piece boxes are more likely to be light-proof. In any case, the film should also be inside the original bag or pouch. If you are careful when you open the sealed pouch (of Kodak films) you can have enough of a lip to fold the pouch over the enclosed film when you put it after exposure back in the pouch.

Mark Sawyer
13-Dec-2009, 12:20

bob

Some cardboard boxes might be light-proof enough for darkroom storage, but I wouldn't want to put them out in sunlight for an extended period with film inside. It seems a simple enough precaution to use a truly light tight bag around them.

I avoid "canned air" for environmental reasons, but that's a whole 'nuther set of issues...