vinny
11-Dec-2009, 15:12
Gear:
cpp-2
3005 drum
3010 drum
2500 series drum for 120 film
kodak 5 liter e6 kit.

I've read up on this stuff a bit but still have some questions for e-6 films.
1. When doing 5 sheets of 8x10 in the expert drum, should I use 1000ml? I know that's well over what jobo recommends but kodak recommends 250ml per sq. ft. of film. I'm only going to rotate in one direction with expert drums.*
2. My lift has a lot of tension that seems to be built in. So much that I'm afraid to lift it w/o grabbing the cradle even when there's no drum attached. The previous owner said it was always like that. (I plan on attaching a "lift helper" anyway) Is there an adjustment to make the lift raise freely?
3. I was told that storing e-6 chems in the fridge (I'll use nitrogen too) makes them last longer. Is that for mixed chems or the raw kit chems themselves?
4. What are the recommended times for push/pull? Is there a kodak pdf on that? I shoot a lot of velvia, provia, epp, 100vs, etc.
5. Which are newer, the black 120 reels or the clear ones? They look very similar, is there a difference?

thanks

vinny

*because bi-directional rotation isn't necessary for these drums

Jan Pedersen
11-Dec-2009, 15:33
Look for Kodak puplication J-83, it should give you the details about push pull and anything else abut the Kodak Chems.

Greg Blank
11-Dec-2009, 15:47
I agree with Jan about reading the Kodak publication. I think Kodak says 250ml per sheet mainly meaning that to adquately cover the film surface 250ml is required for a sheet. Since the sheet is changing position to same place each rotation probably half "a liter" will work well.

"How much is required for a single 35mm 36 exposure roll?" There is the answer...
HC110 we used to mix about 16.5 Fl Oz. which is about 500ml that was adequate for a larger Patterson type tank...so I think the Kodak requirement is plentiful for the Expert Drum. One 8x10 = 4 sheets = one 35mm roll.

As I have stated many times, you can halve the time of a step, use half the developer, drain and do the other half.... if in doubt. 500ml "is" going to adequately cover your film.....for proper development only you can test :)

Gear:
cpp-2
3005 drum
3010 drum
2500 series drum for 120 film
kodak 5 liter e6 kit.

I've read up on this stuff a bit but still have some questions for e-6 films.
1. When doing 5 sheets of 8x10 in the expert drum, should I use 1000ml? I know that's well over what jobo recommends but kodak recommends 250ml per sq. ft. of film. I'm only going to rotate in one direction with expert drums.*
2. My lift has a lot of tension that seems to be built in. So much that I'm afraid to lift it w/o grabbing the cradle even when there's no drum attached. The previous owner said it was always like that. (I plan on attaching a "lift helper" anyway) Is there an adjustment to make the lift raise freely?
3. I was told that storing e-6 chems in the fridge (I'll use nitrogen too) makes them last longer. Is that for mixed chems or the raw kit chems themselves?
4. What are the recommended times for push/pull? Is there a kodak pdf on that? I shoot a lot of velvia, provia, epp, 100vs, etc.
5. Which are newer, the black 120 reels or the clear ones? They look very similar, is there a difference?

thanks

vinny

*because bi-directional rotation isn't necessary for these drums

vinny
11-Dec-2009, 16:47
Okay, I read the kodak publication. I'm sure someone who processes e-6 with push/pulls can give me their times for +/- 1/2 stop increments. While I'll try 500ml of chemistry, I'm sure someone here has done it so I don't have to do a bunch of testing.

Greg, how about the lift question? You must know.

jeroldharter
11-Dec-2009, 18:01
I have a CPP-2 and I always use my spare hand to help lift the drum. The lift handle and mechanism is under-engineered - no use tempting fate. Also, when dropping the drum down I use my spare hand so as not to plop the drum.

John Brady
11-Dec-2009, 18:25
I use 500ml for 5 sheets 8x10 without a problem. Sorry I use straight development for e-6 so can't help with +- dev. I always lift the drum with one hand on the lift and one on the base of the drum. I also turn the motor off when I lift and turn it back on when I set it down. One time I forgot to turn the motor back on for one of the steps but I was drinking, thats a story for another day.

www.timeandlight.com

vinny
11-Dec-2009, 18:25
I have a CPP-2 and I always use my spare hand to help lift the drum. The lift handle and mechanism is under-engineered - no use tempting fate. Also, when dropping the drum down I use my spare hand so as not to plop the drum.

It's Way under-engineered but that's not the issue I have with it. Is it supposed to be stiff or should it drop down easily like a hinge?

jeroldharter
11-Dec-2009, 19:40
Easily like a hinge.

Bjorn Nilsson
12-Dec-2009, 08:42
About the reels, the black ones should be the newer ones. I recon they've made from a more durable kind of plastic (ABS?). I use both types of reels and have found no difference between them.

//Björn

Denis Pleic
13-Dec-2009, 02:07
Vinny, if the Kodak J83 publication says +/- 2 minutes for 1 stop push/pull, and +/-5 minutes for 2 stops push/pull, then it would be a fair guess that 1/2 stop should be somewhere around 1 minute...

BTW, Fujifilm in their leaflet/instructions that come with their E6 6X kit gives precisely the same times (2 minutes for 1 stop, 5 minutes for 2 stops). I have the Fuji kit, and can provide a scan in PDF format...

Regards,

Denis

vinny
13-Dec-2009, 12:22
Thanks everyone. Now there's #2 and #3. Is there a way to loosen the lift?
Do you guys keep your chems in the fridge?

Also, where can I buy a replacement lift handle?

Greg Blank
13-Dec-2009, 14:46
It's probably damaged internally or at least we will say misaligned. It's a big task to take one apart by experience and not cost effective for me to offer as a service. I tell people to buy a new one, because it will easily consume 4 hours of my time. There are no secrets, just unscrew and look for misalignents, once you take a & b sides apart though you will need silicon sealer and there is a silicon grommet that is most likely missing or out of place...trust me its next to impossible to put it back or replace it.

The lift handle is sold as a complete piece, I want to say its about $38.00 USD you can contact me at Omega via gblank>omegasatter.com or 800-777-6634

I would not put E6 chemicals in the refrigerator.

Thanks everyone. Now there's #2 and #3. Is there a way to loosen the lift?
Do you guys keep your chems in the fridge?

Also, where can I buy a replacement lift handle?