PDA

View Full Version : Emil Wünsche AG Reicka Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5

renes
11-Dec-2009, 14:47
Hello,

This is an Aplanat lens I got offer to buy but could not find much information about it. Hope someone could help with identification. The shutter is signed Emil Wünsche AG Reicka and the lens is Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5 - f/51. I know Emil Wünsche was a one of German camera producers (later was a part of ICA) and used to buy lenses from Steinheil, Voiglander and Zeiss. That's all I found.

I would like to know:

1. What focal lenght it could be?
2. Does it cover 4x5, 5x7?
3. Was it a prime Emil' Wünsche lens or just ordinary?
4. Is it any chance to recognize which company produced the cells?
5. What is it worth?

Thanks.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3423/aplanat.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1120/57242378.jpg

Wimpler
11-Dec-2009, 15:15
The shutter brand is 'compound'. The camera makers name was engraved onto it.

I don't know anything about this specific maker.

It is hard to judge the scale with no reference, I'd guess it was a 135mm or 150mm lens.

135mm would probably not cover 4x5, 150mm probably would.

You can measure the focal length by opening the shutter on B or T setting, and measuring the distance between the diafragm and the surface it projects a sharp image at infinity onto.

Also, the No.2 is an indication of the focal length (or format to be used on). Somebody else on the forum might be able to tell from this number...

renes
12-Dec-2009, 16:22
Thank you Wimpler.
I have not yet the lens, just consider if to buy it.
Hope someone knows the answers.

domaz
12-Dec-2009, 18:55
So probably a rapid rectilinear as well- thus the rapid? Some people like RRs- but they don't really swirl or anything.

Glenn Thoreson
12-Dec-2009, 19:37
It really is extra rapid. Most extra rapid Aplanats/Rectilinears would be in the f/6 range. That is probably quite a rare lens. The value is what a willing buyer would be willing to pay a reasonable seller. I don't think there's any other way to value it. What is the seller asking for it? It's a beautiful thing and would probably make very sharp images.

Steven Tribe
13-Dec-2009, 02:18
Reicka is the name given to a range of cameras made by Wünsche. Most famously, a large SL reflex with FPS. Popular, as the name was continued after mergers (see figure). German size 2 should cover at least 4x5" without difficulty. It could be for 10x15cm or 13x18cm if the efl approaches 200mm. There are 1,000's of these lens around that have lost their camera bodies. Unfortunately, these splendid compound shutters are often difficult to fit to more exciting lenses. Probably not a very well known lens maker (like Steinheil or Meyer) - as the name would have been good selling point for even a well thought of company like Wünsche.

renes
13-Dec-2009, 13:09
Thanks.

Hope the lens is about 180-200mm, I have already Heliar 150mm and 165mm, do not need another in that focals.

The owner asks $70.

Were Aplanats a soft lenses? Are they good for b&w portraits or landscape?

Steven Tribe
13-Dec-2009, 13:33
Get a confirmation that the compound shutter works evertime (also at lower speeds).

renes
14-Dec-2009, 15:05
Today I received the lens. It looks much bether than above pictures show. I measured the focal lenght and it's 220mm! It fits to my Bergheil's 6x9 front plate too!!! Shutter works properly, blades are like new, also cells, it looks like it was not used much (hope not becouse of the poor image quality). Need to make a mounting ring and bayonet flange to use it with my two Bergheils (second one is 9x12). Than I will test the lens.

Steven Tribe
14-Dec-2009, 15:47
So it will cover 13x18 - so you have to buy a new Bergheim (or a 10x15cm)! Do you make the patent bayonet flange for the Bergheils or do you have a stock of them. I have only seen the system in rather bad photos.

renes
14-Dec-2009, 16:42
So it will cover 13x18 - so you have to buy a new Bergheim (or a 10x15cm)! Do you make the patent bayonet flange for the Bergheils or do you have a stock of them. I have only seen the system in rather bad photos.

I will be using the lens with 6x9 and 9x12 Bergheil. The cameras are in very good shape. For the 6x9 one I already have 2 Rada rollfilm baks, Angulon 65/6.8, Heliar 105/4.5, Heliar 135/4.5 and soon should receive a Heliar 83/4.5 (its from 1920' Voigtlander 5x8 folder camera, f/16 stoped should cover the Rada 56x82mm size). All are with bayonet flanges made for me by a man living here in Warsaw. I am going to buy two lenses more to have my planed set: 165-168mm lens (petzval/meniscus/Dagor or - dream to find - a Wollensak Verito 165/6 :) ) and Tele-Dynar 200/6.3.

I complete also a 9x12 Bergheil, own lenses fited with bayonet flange too: Angulon 90/6.8, Heliar 120/4.5 (stoped f/16 covers 9x12) and Heliar 150/4.5. Own 12 film holders too. Having plan to buy smal petzval/meniscus/Dagor 190-210mm and Tele-Dynar 255/6.3

I took me a bit time to gather it and bring it to usage. Next week I start taking photos with it. First with 6x9.

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2009, 03:08
I would image that there is a market for Bergheil bayonet flanges worldwide so owners could fit alternative lenses - if your Warsaw contact is interested?

Rob Lilley
15-Dec-2009, 12:41
I would image that there is a market for Bergheil bayonet flanges worldwide so owners could fit alternative lenses - if your Warsaw contact is interested?

I just received back the bayonet flange a local machinst made to mount a 150mm 1:4.5 Goerz Dogmar on my 10x15 Bergheil. The Dogmar is mounted in a Compur dial shutter No. 258646. Unfortunately I do not have the 16.5cm 1:4.5 Heliar that came with this camera. The flange I made is serviceable but is not like the smaller one I have on my 9x12cm Bergheil. I would like to find the proper flange mount for the 10x15cm so to have my machinist make me one. Once he has made the new flange, he will store the information in his computer. His milling equipment is computerized and can turn out exact duplicates. Perhaps someone would be willing to trust me with theirs? If so I would have an extra made for the lender as well

Rob

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2009, 13:20
I would suggest you start a new thread as I am sure that there would be a response. Otherwise, it will be lost here unless they do a search for Bergheil. I have always admired the 9x12 and 10x15 - but they were always a bit pricey for me - so I have been stuck with "lesser" 9x12 offerings!