PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 field cameras that are comfortable holding 300mm or 360mm modern plasmats

John NYC
10-Dec-2009, 20:02
I know, I know... "why do you want to do that?" But humoring me for a moment, which wooden field cameras would be the best suited for this?

Jeremy Moore
10-Dec-2009, 20:08
My 4x5 chamonix has no problem with a 360mm f6.3 Fujinon or 360mm f/6.8 Caltar-IIn. I don't think you should have any problems with any of the modern 8x10 offerings and I know I never had any problems using one on an 8x10 Deardorff or Kodak Masterview (I know, I know, not wooden).

Vaughn
10-Dec-2009, 20:15
My Zone VI 8x10 hardly feels the Fuji W 300/5.6 when it is on it. No problem at all -- that is a "normal" lens.

John NYC
10-Dec-2009, 20:25
Great. Good to hear I can pick a camera without regard to considering this an issue then. Thanks muchly for the quick feedback!

Jeremy Moore
11-Dec-2009, 08:23
John, some of the older wooden cameras, such as an Empire State, *might* have a problem, but that's more from not being too stable to begin with due to age and possible hard use (I've seen a few older wooden 8x10s with wobbly standards). If that's the case, though, a tune up by one of the camera repair guys (like Ritter) should take care of the problem.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
11-Dec-2009, 09:32
My 8x10 Deardorff can hold the Symmar 360/5.6, which is significantly larger (although not much heaver) than either of the lenses you mentioned. The only problem I have identified with this lens is that when loosening the front rise/fall/tilt adjustment, the lens tends to quickly tip forward, making precise adjustments difficult, but then again one wouldn't buy a field camera for precision, so perhaps I am using the wrong tool.

Anyhow, you won't have much of a problem with any plasmat up to and including 360mm. I wouldn't put a 480mm plasmat on it, but the 450mm Nikkor-M works perfectly.

Oren Grad
11-Dec-2009, 09:52
My 8x10 Deardorff can hold the Symmar 360/5.6, which is significantly larger (although not much heaver) than either of the lenses you mentioned. The only problem I have identified with this lens is that when loosening the front rise/fall/tilt adjustment, the lens tends to quickly tip forward, making precise adjustments difficult, but then again one wouldn't buy a field camera for precision, so perhaps I am using the wrong tool.

Anyhow, you won't have much of a problem with any plasmat up to and including 360mm. I wouldn't put a 480mm plasmat on it, but the 450mm Nikkor-M works perfectly.

Yes. At the risk of saying the obvious, with a decently built camera the issue isn't so much whether the front standard is going to collapse, but that as the weight of the lens goes up you need to pay more careful attention to handling - making sure everything is tightened securely, that the lens is properly supported when you're loosening controls to make adjustments, etc.

I've put a 480mm plasmat on a big Phillips and it was OK. But it's a very deliberate operation - leave anything the slightest bit loose or let the weight distribution on the tripod head get out of whack, and just brushing the thing the wrong way can send the whole contraption crashing.

ic-racer
11-Dec-2009, 10:14
I agree with Vaugn on the Fuji.
Big 300 Fuji is my main lens. I don't think twice about it. The Shen Hao is made for this kind of lens.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=508825&postcount=71

I used this lens on my Century without problem also, though it was 'pushing the envelope' of what can be done.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=502079&postcount=115