PDA

View Full Version : which sekonic light meter?

e2aa
10-Dec-2009, 19:35
i'm wondering which one (308, 358, 758?) would be best for use with my 8x10? i shoot a mixture of landscape, fashion and still life in the studio with flash and/or strobe, etc...so something that works with all these would be ideal.

did the 358 replace the 558?

http://www.sekonic.com/products/

welly
10-Dec-2009, 19:39
If you can afford the 758, get the 758. It does everything including making the tea.

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2009, 19:49
Mine makes coffee, but refuses to grind the beans. Perhaps I just haven't figured out how to program that mode.

BrianShaw
10-Dec-2009, 19:50
758 replaced the 558

anchored
10-Dec-2009, 19:52
Had the 758... replaced it with the 609, which is similar but has a zoom feature to the spot (variable from 1 to 4 degrees). Would definitely spend the extra and get the 758 or 609 over the 358.

e2aa
10-Dec-2009, 19:59
what makes the 758 better than the 358 for large format? i'd like to hear from someone using it...i see the tech differences but more interested in practical implications of having the "advanced" model.

thanks everyone for the input.

John NYC
10-Dec-2009, 20:12
I have the 758 and while it is a great meter, I have to say that -- at least in my hand -- the ergonomics are awful. I'd handle one in a store to make sure you like it. Especially the memory button is awkward. To get enough pressure to push it, you have to watch that you don't accidentally take another meter reading with the opposing button your thumb is on!

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2009, 20:41
This is another one of those questions where it depends entirely on your handling preferences.

My favorite meter is my Sekonic 308. It's small and lightweight, stuffs into whatever pocket is handy, runs for a long time on a single AA battery, is simple to set up and use, and serves admirably as an incident meter in the field and a flash meter back home. Mine's still going strong despite taking quite a beating over the years.

Renato Tonelli
10-Dec-2009, 20:49
Mine makes coffee, but refuses to grind the beans. Perhaps I just haven't figured out how to program that mode.

:D :D

Mine (the precursor to the 758) would suddenly be inaccurate by 3/4 of an f/stop; I've had it recalibrated a few times and now I don't trust it anymore. I think I just had a bum one - I know a couple of people who are very happy with theirs. Too bad - I liked the digital read-out and memory feature. I went back to using the Pentax Digital.

For what it's worth, the Pentax Digital doesn't make coffee or tea...

Frank Bunnik
10-Dec-2009, 22:18
I have the 758 that I like a lot. Never had a misreading with it. Bought it new over the internet last year for about 275 euro. Before that I had an older model for about 10 years that I sold for 250 euro. If I am not mistaken, you can swap the function of the meter and memory buttons when you do spotmeter readings.

e2aa
10-Dec-2009, 22:22
anyone know the practical advantages of the 758 over the 358 for large format film?

anchored
11-Dec-2009, 05:47
The L-358 is a reflected/incident/flash light meter.

The L-758 has the same PLUS spot meter and far more abilities that you may or may not need or use.

A note about the L-758: More complex to use than many others, and certainly more complex than the L-358. one will need to study the manual a bit in order to be sure to pick the right mode for what you are trying to do. Pick the wrong mode for the job and you'll get "inaccurate" readings.

ki6mf
11-Dec-2009, 06:50
Big question is do you need a spot meter for ambient lighting? If not the 308 or 358 will do the same job reading the light as the 758. The 758, I do have one, may have more features like multi memory or wireless for pocket wizzard etc. I totaly agree with how wide the 758 is to hold in you hand! The 358 is newer than the 308 and only lacks the spot meter capability. I have seen the 358 used for under $200. I would take a 358 over a 308 if the 758 is out or the running. I do like the slimmer 358!

dfoo
11-Dec-2009, 07:08
I have the 558 which I like, however, it is pretty damn big! With my 35mm cameras I normally use the 208 in incident mode.

Diane Maher
11-Dec-2009, 07:23
I have an L-608 which is the only meter I've ever used with LF. I use the spot meter frequently.

John NYC
11-Dec-2009, 11:15
One more thought... while I like my 758, I find I hardly ever use the incident meter and the spot meter in conjunction. I am either in my zone system frame of mine or in my incident light + experiential knowledge frame of mine. With that said, I think if I were to do it over again, I'd opt for two meters... one very small incident meter and one very small spot meter. If both of these were bought used, you'd probably come in at under half what a new 758DR costs.

e2aa
11-Dec-2009, 11:43
thank you.

Lee Christopher
11-Dec-2009, 11:49
I've had the 308, 328, 508, and now use a 558. My friend who shoots only digital uses the 758.

Just a very quick pros and cons of each

308 - Does ambient and reflected. Existing and flash. Great entry level meter. Accurate and affordable. Especially attractive prices on used markets. Limited.

328. Old model that does what the 308 does, albeit, had a dinky and awkwardly protruding post for the light receptor.

508 - Highly capable and accurate. Very versatile. Has 1-4 degree spot zoom. If complex flash work is involved, can be a bit limited by the 3 memory readings. Has no viewfinder display for spot readings, and spot flash reading is limited.

558 - Think of it as one step down, but only slightly from the 758, and a step above the 508, or 608 which addressed the inherent design limitations of the 508 flash spot metering, and lack of viewfinder reading. Has only 1 degree spot metering, but features a percentage reading expressed in the analog bar and as a numerical value for ambient light/flash balancing needs. I find this especially attractive as I have to very carefully balance fill-flash with existing lights to get 'natural' looking results.

758 - In short, which might be too quick a way to describe it, it's very similar to the 558, but it's most useful feature is that you could upload the response curves from your particular digital camera into the meter's memory. Bear in mind that film and digital sensors respond differently in that digital is linear whereas film has a curve. So, if you shoot both digital and film, and do complex flash work for fashion, in both digital and film, you might want to look at this model.

I did not mention anything about the wireless flash metering triggering because I never found a need for it, If I needed to trigger my flash that were far awaw from me, I just stood where I needed to and triggered my Skyport trigger in my hand and that worked well. For those who rely heavily on Pocket Wizard's advanced functions, the in-built or optional wireless trigger module might make more sense, but I have no idea of the actual capabilities of this, since I never had a need to find out.

In short, if you need a very basic ambient and flash meter, NO spot metering, and you're comfortable doing whatever maths in your head, save money and go for the 308. One of the 308 versions has provision to do reflected light reading. Can't remember whether it was the 'B' or the 'S' model.

If you need an ambient light meter, flash meter, NO spot metering, and you need the speed and convenience of multiple flash readings stored in memory, and things worked out for you, go for the 358. 1, 5 or 10 degree spot metering can be added with an optional accessory. http://www.sekonic.com/images/files/SekonicL-358_L-558RBrochure.pdf Look to the end of the pdf document. The add-on spot meter accessory seems to reduce the low light sensitivity of the meters by quite a bit.

If you need all the bells and whistles and work mainly in film, go for a used 558.

If you need all the bells and whistles and work a lot in both digital and film, go for the 758.

While no means complete, hope this summary helps.

If I made any mistakes in my offhand recollection of the meters, please help me by letting me know, and correcting what I shared. :)

Oren Grad
11-Dec-2009, 12:46
Lee, very helpful summary overall. A few minor points:

308 - Does ambient and reflected. Existing and flash. Great entry level meter. Accurate and affordable. Especially attractive prices on used markets. Limited.

328. Old model that does what the 308 does, albeit, had a dinky and awkwardly protruding post for the light receptor.

There is also a 318 which is similar to the 328, only without the flash support. I have a 318, but stopped using it in favor of the 308 because the cover of the swivel-housing for the meter cell kept breaking off under rough handling.

In short, if you need a very basic ambient and flash meter, NO spot metering, and you're comfortable doing whatever maths in your head, save money and go for the 308. One of the 308 versions has provision to do reflected light reading. Can't remember whether it was the 'B' or the 'S' model.

My original 308 can do reflected light readings - just slide the diffuser dome aside. I believe the same is true of the later B and S versions.

Andre Noble
12-Dec-2009, 03:33
I have the 758. It is too big.

ki6mf
12-Dec-2009, 05:22
I agree with John NYC. While i have a 758 its used for the dark side (Digital) and for most of my zone I use a Pentax V. The 758 is a large beast compared to all other light meters. I did just buy the Gossen Digiflash which does flash reading, incident, ambient, and is very small.

Mike1234
12-Dec-2009, 11:23
I opted for the 778 because I don't need incident reading. Also... I found a really good deal on one that I couldn't pass up.