PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid dilemma

Dave Beckwith
10-Dec-2009, 14:52
I totally rely on Polaroid type 54 film to analyze strobe setup and exposure for my interior room shots. I set up one light source at a time starting with the key light and adding infill lighting. I shoot a Polaroid for each light added to judge the effects. When I'm satisfied, I shoot 4x5 color negative film. I used up the last of Polaroid stock a several monthes back and am at a lost as to what to do. Is there another way to do this, or should I dump by 4x5 equipment and jump on the 35mm digital bandwagon?

D. Bryant
10-Dec-2009, 15:22
I totally rely on Polaroid type 54 film to analyze strobe setup and exposure for my interior room shots. I set up one light source at a time starting with the key light and adding infill lighting. I shoot a Polaroid for each light added to judge the effects. When I'm satisfied, I shoot 4x5 color negative film. I used up the last of Polaroid stock a several monthes back and am at a lost as to what to do. Is there another way to do this, or should I dump by 4x5 equipment and jump on the 35mm digital bandwagon?

Can't you use the Fuji instant products?

Don Bryant

darr
10-Dec-2009, 15:22
Can't you make use of your light meter readings and make a quick diagram of the f-stops and adjust accordingly?

D. Bryant
10-Dec-2009, 15:31
Can't you make use of your light meter readings and make a quick diagram of the f-stops and adjust accordingly?

Good points by Darr but I think this is also a case where shooting a digital proof via a tethered computer is quite handy. Using both a meter and digital proofing for the light is quite effective.

Don

Bill_1856
10-Dec-2009, 17:48
Get a Polaroid 405 holder and use Fuji pack film.

SteveKarr
10-Dec-2009, 17:58
I'd use FujiRoid or I got a DSLR. Shooting tethered is one too many thinks to bring along for me (and I DigiTech for a living)

Digital has a place ... as a test for real photography!!

Frank Bagbey
10-Dec-2009, 18:38
Hey Steve, that is the best slogan I have heard in recent years.

Digital has a place...as a test for real photography! Wow!

Gene McCluney
10-Dec-2009, 19:21
I too, totally relied on Polaroid film for my testing in my studio for 4x5 transparency shots. I easily made the change to Fuji instant film products (I already had an unused pack-film back for 4x5), and I am rewarded with improved quality to the instant prints.

None of the other methods suggested in previous posts takes into account the bellow factor for close up product photography, or the transmission loss of "some" older but still excellent studio lenses. To be sure, shoot an instant print.