PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy the nice Durst L1840 on e-bay?

ic-racer
9-Dec-2009, 19:38
Looks like a Durst L1840 with CLS1840 head has sold. I was just curious if it sold to anyone on the LF forum.

Either way good luck with your new enlarger.

mhulsman
10-Dec-2009, 07:57
It was not me.
But I bought an motorized L184 chassis with an CLS1840 head :)
3 lenses, 4 mixing boxes, glassless masks etc
The downside: I broke the plastic gear that is needed to lower/rise the head.

Mike

Renato Tonelli
10-Dec-2009, 08:44
I wish it had been me. I'm still conflicted (torturing myself): 5x7 or 8x10, using the 8x10 negatives for contact printing only.

ic-racer
10-Dec-2009, 08:53
This is a picture of the one that sold in California, USA.

gary mulder
10-Dec-2009, 08:57
mike,

next time we meet I can dig up a Hotub lensboard for you. That way yo will not have a excuse for not printing jour brilliant 66 negatives.

ic-racer
10-Dec-2009, 10:48
Another inexpensive option for 66 that I just found is to put a recessed Lapla in the Tripla. The Tripla won't spin, but it will get an 80mm lens far enough up there to focus mural size projections without any binding.

gary mulder
10-Dec-2009, 10:56
Another inexpensive option for 66 that I just found is to put a recessed Lapla in the Tripla. The Tripla won't spin, but it will get an 80mm lens far enough up there to focus mural size projections without any binding.

mike and I both live in the netherlands. We meet in person I do not expect money will swap form owner.

ic-racer
10-Dec-2009, 11:23
If either one of you would like any of the pdf files I have collected send me a PM. I also have a few knobs extra knobs I picked up with the intent of getting them into the hands of someone with broken knobs.

mhulsman
10-Dec-2009, 15:10
Gary,

We will swap the hottub for an 205 AN :)

mhulsman
10-Dec-2009, 15:12
ic-racer,

I broke the plastic gear that is on the motor end (or handcranc) that drives the uppper part.
I try to fix it, but do you know that plastic gear is available somewhere ?

Mike.

ic-racer
10-Dec-2009, 15:43
ic-racer,

I broke the plastic gear that is on the motor end (or handcranc) that drives the uppper part.

Mike.

On USA ebay a seller named "photodarkroom" had almost all the pieces of a Durst floor-standing enlarger for sale over the last month. I could not tell if the pieces were from a 138 or 184. It might be worth contacting him.

Brian Ellis
10-Dec-2009, 18:12
Are you sure this sold? I was curious about the price so I checked both the completed sales and current listings by doing a search for "L1840" and nothing came up.

ic-racer
10-Dec-2009, 19:41
It was just listed as "1840", not "L1840." It was item 200413441155, supposedly went for a 'buy it now' at $3900 USD. As with all things "e-bay" not know if it really sold.

It seems like a lot, but even though I got all my stuff for 'bargain' pricing, when I add up transportation costs and the cost of all the original Durst accessories I have acquired in the last few years that is not a bad prcie.

Brian Ellis
11-Dec-2009, 17:16
It was just listed as "1840", not "L1840." It was item 200413441155, supposedly went for a 'buy it now' at $3900 USD. As with all things "e-bay" not know if it really sold.

It seems like a lot, but even though I got all my stuff for 'bargain' pricing, when I add up transportation costs and the cost of all the original Durst accessories I have acquired in the last few years that is not a bad prcie.

Thanks. Although darkroom prices are generally low, for such as fine piece of equipment as this $3,900 doesn't seem bad.

Blair Ware
12-Dec-2009, 15:01
Well, Toronto Image Works was selling their L1840 with a CLS2000 head and three lenses for $800 Canadian. I thought that was a great deal (as was my L184 for somewhat less). In the end, the head and lenses were sold separately and I think the body went into the trash.

Blair

Noeyedear
17-Dec-2009, 02:40
There are two 10x8 aero enlargers on ebay at the moment, I can't think they will fetch the price being asked, I would think knocking a nought off the end might help, even then in todays climate it could be too much.
I have ended up with two big Durst 5x7 floor standing enlargers, I keep telling myself I will build a darkroom again soon.
Kevin.

gary mulder
17-Dec-2009, 10:19
todays climate

You hit the nail on the head. Making prints with these beasts is what is all about. I have (large format) 6 enlargers all for irresistible low prices but my dark room has only place for 2. :o

kpphoto
25-Feb-2010, 22:49
Yeah...1840 at TIW !!! What a bust that was...heres my story.

Im in Toronto and saw the 1840 on eBay back in the fall of 2009. The lab that Ed Burtynsky operates -Toronto Image Works- was getting rid of his workhorse complete with a CLS2000 head /mix boxes /2 lenses / laraneg, etc. The ad stated that it had undisclosed issues. So although it had a starting bid of only $500 it was no wonder it received no bids...

So I call the lab and go see it. Turns out the head didnt move up down - they were using it horizontally so they never bothered to fix it properly - and the focus and head all worked. Hmmm, I think... well this beast does have provenance and who wouldn't want to keep this alive and running? I shoot B&W portraits and would be proud to continue using this in the fine art tradition. OK fine. I make an offer to little Miss Lab manager #1. She agrees to my offer. She is interested in selling it to me as a complete package rather than splitting it up into pieces or putting it into landfill/scraping it.

Fine, great, when can you get it out of here? yadayada.... But then Miss-"I don't come out of my office" Lab manager #2 starts yakkin that there is someone from the US of A who wants just the head for more than I am offering for the whole package! OK, so I offer a bit more....Back and forth, OK its a go, no I have to wait till Monday...more calls, left messages, no return calls, ok call back in an hour, can you offer more? blah blah blah....The whole deals starts to smell like the monkey cages at the zoo on a hot day. So, enough with with these 2 broads pretending to know whats going on and trying to be in charge, I bail. It was like I was in that play Waiting for GODOT (in the zoo). I am just down the street and moving it would have been a breeze. Oh well, another will come along...and it did... but its a several hour trek to pick it up. More on that later.

Although Ed is all against pollution etc., as far as know, the chassis and power unit etc all ended up in landfill or scrapped. I hope he never finds out that his award winning, prize producing Italian Stallion could have had a second chance to play freely but instead got drawn and quarted for the almighty buck...and in Canadian funds to boot! I feel part of Ed Burtynskys' legacy ended then.

ic-racer
26-Feb-2010, 06:42
Here is the interesting conclusion to that story posted by kpphoto (or as Paul Harvey used to say "...the rest of the story" ):

As it turns out that chassis was toast. I was going to go back and get it and put my Aristo head on it, but after checking out its power supply and control unit on my own chassis it was evident there had been major mechanical and electrical issues with that chassis. I did strip the chassis of all usable parts, knobs, power supply, controller, bellows, even the big "LABORATOR" logo plate. However, many things (like the wheel locking knobs and the cosmetic bellows, the table locking mechanism etc.) were trashed or missing.

I hate to see enlargers wasted as much as anyone but I can say that , most, if not all of that enlarger chassis's usable parts did get recycled. Also, the CLS head and power supply had fried components but I had the Durst schematics and service manuals already and was able to get it back to perfect working condition. (so kpphoto, you were wise to pass on this one ;) )

So, in the end, by spending considerable effort (and a good deal of $$) in repairing and restoring that CLS2000 head and power supply and fitting it to a freshly serviced and rebuild chassis, the legacy of that enlarger continues to live on, now in perfect working condition!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/Installed.jpg

neil poulsen
26-Feb-2010, 07:50
Are you sure this sold? I was curious about the price so I checked both the completed sales and current listings by doing a search for "L1840" and nothing came up.

I kept an eye on this one. It sold for $765!

I had a chance to purchase a new Omega F with color head, but without the negative carrier, for $700 and turned it down. It was local, too. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake. At the same time, I have a Zone VI 8x10 that's a lot more convenient. So, I felt I didn't need the bigger, heavier enlarger.

raizans
26-Feb-2010, 10:28
Here is the interesting conclusion to that story posted by kpphoto (or as Paul Harvey used to say "...the rest of the story" ):

As it turns out that chassis was toast. I was going to go back and get it and put my Aristo head on it, but after checking out its power supply and control unit on my own chassis it was evident there had been major mechanical and electrical issues with that chassis. I did strip the chassis of all usable parts, knobs, power supply, controller, bellows, even the big "LABORATOR" logo plate. However, many things (like the wheel locking knobs and the cosmetic bellows, the table locking mechanism etc.) were trashed or missing.

I hate to see enlargers wasted as much as anyone but I can say that , most, if not all of that enlarger chassis's usable parts did get recycled. Also, the CLS head and power supply had fried components but I had the Durst schematics and service manuals already and was able to get it back to perfect working condition. (so kpphoto, you were wise to pass on this one ;) )

So, in the end, by spending considerable effort (and a good deal of $$) in repairing and restoring that CLS2000 head and power supply and fitting it to a freshly serviced and rebuild chassis, the legacy of that enlarger continues to live on, now in perfect working condition!

that is the kind of awesomeness i aspire to. too bad i don't know anything about mechanics and electronics.

Allen in Montreal
26-Feb-2010, 11:33
One hell of a nice renovation job on that unit!
Well done.

Jan Pedersen
26-Feb-2010, 12:07
As Allen said, this is one impressive and good looking enlarger.

jbrianfoto
23-Nov-2010, 11:26
ic-racer,

Mike.

I had a broken Pinion Gear #2 on my 1st L184 (that's the Durst part name for that gear attached to the business end og the carrige arm). Cost me $175 from Durst-Pro. At the time I asked if I could get the metal version instead, but was told the metal version would not fit, I had to get the nylon (white) type.

A month ago I got a second L184 with an electric drive. Out of curiosity I pulled the motor assmeble out and compaired the two gears (metal vx. nylon). They both were exactly the same size (all dimentions) and had the same number of teeth. So then I put the motor on my first enlarger and it worked perfect. This leads me to suspect one of two things; 1) My first enlarger had the wrong type of gear, which is why it broke. 2) Either gear type will work on the enlargers I have.

Hope this helps!

mhulsman
23-Nov-2010, 12:09
I had a broken Pinion Gear #2 on my 1st L184 (that's the Durst part name for that gear attached to the business end og the carrige arm). Cost me $175 from Durst-Pro. At the time I asked if I could get the metal version instead, but was told the metal version would not fit, I had to get the nylon (white) type.

A month ago I got a second L184 with an electric drive. Out of curiosity I pulled the motor assmeble out and compaired the two gears (metal vx. nylon). They both were exactly the same size (all dimentions) and had the same number of teeth. So then I put the motor on my first enlarger and it worked perfect. This leads me to suspect one of two things; 1) My first enlarger had the wrong type of gear, which is why it broke. 2) Either gear type will work on the enlargers I have.

Hope this helps!
It is fixed now.
I contacted a friend with a lathe.
He made a brass fixed for that.
I am happy now, and he is happy with his bottle of Lagavulin :)

And I guess that either gear will work.

David Phillips
11-Dec-2010, 10:26
It was not me.
But I bought an motorized L184 chassis with an CLS1840 head :)
3 lenses, 4 mixing boxes, glassless masks etc
The downside: I broke the plastic gear that is needed to lower/rise the head.

Mike

Mike those gears are easy to replace. I replaced mine with a metal gear.
David Phillips

jbrianfoto
17-Dec-2010, 15:51
It is fixed now.
I contacted a friend with a lathe.
He made a brass fixed for that.
I am happy now, and he is happy with his bottle of Lagavulin :)

And I guess that either gear will work.

Thats great news.....wish I'd had a good friend with a lathe. Have him make a few more, bet you can sell 'em.

mups
4-Aug-2011, 08:41
Hello, does someone know if the CLS 2000 head's pre-heating keep the bulb a little on all the time or if it just makes for a slow progressive turn on ?
Thanks.

ic-racer
4-Aug-2011, 17:04
Hello, does someone know if the CLS 2000 head's pre-heating keep the bulb a little on all the time or if it just makes for a slow progressive turn on ?
Thanks.

Neither. It does not glow and the preheat provides a rapid onset of illumination. Preheat voltage should be about 20V.

ic-racer
4-Aug-2011, 17:22
Just to be more clear. There is 20V applied to the bulb when the unit is turned on, but the bulb does not glow. When the unit is signaled to start an exposure, the lamp gets 220V and illuminates for 0.8 seconds before the shutter opens.

mikestr
4-Mar-2012, 15:38
If anyone is still looking in...

I recently acquired an L1840 with a CLS 1840 head. The nylon pinion gears that link the one of the filter adjustment wheels to its control rod have disintegrated. Has anybody found a source for these?

Thanks,

Mike