PDA

View Full Version : Looking at making a purchase

welly
8-Dec-2009, 20:54
I'm looking at making a purchase on this camera:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Film-cameras/Other-formats/auction-258143295.htm

I've read a little about the Tachihara cameras on this forum and the name crops up pretty regularly. Would this be a good starter camera to get into LF photography?

Cheers,

Welly

Michael Wynd
8-Dec-2009, 21:22
Absolutely. Either this or a Shen Hao. I had a Shen and I think the Tachi would be slightly easier to use but it doesn't have as many movements. If you're thinking of buying a new camera, Badger Graphics are really good to deal with and with the Aussie and NZ dollars doing so well against the US dollar now is the time to buy from America. You can pick up a Shen from Badger for around $695.00 US.
Mike

welly
8-Dec-2009, 21:30
Absolutely. Either this or a Shen Hao. I had a Shen and I think the Tachi would be slightly easier to use but it doesn't have as many movements. If you're thinking of buying a new camera, Badger Graphics are really good to deal with and with the Aussie and NZ dollars doing so well against the US dollar now is the time to buy from America. You can pick up a Shen from Badger for around $695.00 US.
Mike

Ah well, there's a thought. I notice they do intro packages with camera, lens, lens board, film holders etc. which could be a nice and easy way to get into it. I'll do some thinking tonight!

Bill_1856
8-Dec-2009, 21:41
Good camera, but the price is higher than a brand new one.

Gem Singer
8-Dec-2009, 22:02
Previously owned Tachi's sell for $450-$550 in the USA.

I know someone who is willing to sell his Tachi in that price range.

Shipping to NZ will probably add $50-60 to the total price.

welly
8-Dec-2009, 22:14
I've done a bit of searching and it appears this guy tried to sell that camera before. It seems it doesn't have ground glass but some kind of ground plastic for focusing. I think I might pass on that and buy new from Badger Graphics as suggested by Michael. I think that'll give me a bit more confidence.

Vaughn
8-Dec-2009, 22:57
I have questions on that camera -- the back being one of them and the description of the condition (as new in shop stock -- or something like that). Price is definitely high.

Good Luck!

lenser
9-Dec-2009, 04:01
Welly,

Besides the plastic "ground glass" and the very high price for this one used, the bellows on this one has relaxed to the point where it looks like you might get some vignetting at certain focal lengths and bellows extensions.

Besides that, check into whether these allow for interchangeable or replacement bellows. If you get into Wide Angle lenses and want to keep all camera movements, you will want a camera that can take a bag bellows like the Wistas, Zone VI, etc.

I use a Zone vie with great satisfaction and they are going for about this price range and less on the used marker. I bought mine used over 15 years ago and have done countless architectural shoots with it as well as field use for pleasure. It has never let me down.