PDA

View Full Version : DLC 45, MQC 57, or Chamonix 45N

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 15:16
Weight/bulk/quality/reliability are all serious concerns.

This is for a dedicated 6x12cm roll film camera... never any sheet film. I'm buying a 5x12 Korona for large sheet photography.

I'm aware of the idiosyncrasies of each of these cameras. I already have the MQC 57 and have been planning to sell it and buy a Chamonix 45N (with new focus panel) to save weight/bulk. The DLC is not out of the running but it weighs nearly as much as the MQC... only 12 ounces lighter... but it's a bit less bulky.

My gut feeling has long been to opt for the Chammy due to it's lesser weight/bulk. What concerns me is the smaller lens panels so using a 38mm may be a problem even with the 10mm recessed board. That said... the MQC will allow use of the KBC 6x17cm RFH. However, I'm a bit concerned about film flatness with such a long roll film image. But... that's yet another question.

I'm rambling... someone please slap me out of my hysteria. :eek:

David Karp
8-Dec-2009, 15:25
Personally, I would keep the camera you have.

It gives you the widest options: 5x7, 4x5, various panoramic formats. It is still pretty light, if not as light as the Chamonix.

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 15:28
Well, if I keep the MQC I "might" shoot 5x7 but never 4x5. Plus I'll probably sell the Horseman 6x12cm holder and buy the KBC 6x17cm... this is assuming it holds that long 17cm bit of film as flat as the Horseman does.

brianam
8-Dec-2009, 15:44
Crazy idea: if want a camera for 6x12cm use only, and you'll already have a 5x12 for large format panoramic with movements, why not go for a 6x12 medium format camera?
I've used the Linhof 612 on a few occasions, like it. I bet the Fotoman is probably much cheaper if you can find one. And there's a Horseman as well. Oh, and an Alpa.
(Can any of those take 220? That would sure save changing rolls so often.)

I love the 1:2 ratio. wish the Nikon Coolscans could do 6x12cm w/o stitching..

BradS
8-Dec-2009, 15:59
Just get the damned roll film back and start shooting for peet's sake! use what you have.....get the horseman 6x12 roll film adapter back and SHOOT, SHOOT, Shoot! Less talk and more action! Life is short, get to it!

(how's that for a bitch slappin' ? )

BradS
8-Dec-2009, 16:48
Well, if I keep the MQC I "might" shoot 5x7 but never 4x5. Plus I'll probably sell the Horseman 6x12cm holder and buy the KBC 6x17cm... this is assuming it holds that long 17cm bit of film as flat as the Horseman does.

wait...do you already have the Horseman 6x12 roll film adapter?

Just slap that puppy on a Crown Graphic with a decently accurate rangefinder and go to work!

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 17:52
Just get the damned roll film back and start shooting for peet's sake! use what you have.....get the horseman 6x12 roll film adapter back and SHOOT, SHOOT, Shoot! Less talk and more action! Life is short, get to it!

Thanks, Brad. I feel much better now. I mean that in a very innocent way.

Bob Salomon
8-Dec-2009, 18:02
Crazy idea: if want a camera for 6x12cm use only, and you'll already have a 5x12 for large format panoramic with movements, why not go for a 6x12 medium format camera?
I've used the Linhof 612 on a few occasions, like it. I bet the Fotoman is probably much cheaper if you can find one. And there's a Horseman as well. Oh, and an Alpa.
(Can any of those take 220? That would sure save changing rolls so often.)

I love the 1:2 ratio. wish the Nikon Coolscans could do 6x12cm w/o stitching..

The Linhof 612 PCII and the 617S III cameras both take 120 and 220 film.

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 18:03
wait...do you already have the Horseman 6x12 roll film adapter?

Just slap that puppy on a Crown Graphic with a decently accurate rangefinder and go to work!

I have Crowns running out my ears but I want rear swing/tilt. Also, I will only be using GG composing. I already have the MQC and a Horseman 6x12 RFH but it seems such a waste to shoot such small film on a 5x7. If I'm going to keep the MQC it makes more sense (to me) to get the KBC 6x17 back and use rise/fall to shoot two images to stitch if I want a squattier image (100x168mm). It's a bigger/heavier camera so I might as well use bigger film.

The thing to keep in mind is this was SUPPOSED to be a very light/compact kit for when I can't carry the 5x12 behemoth. So an ultra-light 4x5 with a 6x12cm RFH was INTENDED to be something I could carry at those times.

That said, I want an ultra-light that can easily take lenses ranging from 38mm up to at least 300mm. The DLC can easily do this and I "think" the Chamonix will too but with much less weight.

Lachlan 717
8-Dec-2009, 18:24

Good on you, Brad, for bringing some sense to this self-indulgent thread.

Gee, do I drive the Porsche, the Lambo, the Masa, the Bentley, the Rolls or the Aston?

All will get you the final destination with no fuss. It's not like you're trying to decide between 2 non-European cars...

Unless you're a) self flagellistic and/or b) too cashed up, I'd suggest less typing and more shooting.

Uust use what's at hand and stop posting seemingly pointless questions.

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 18:41
Lachlan... you and Brad have hurt my little feelings. But I think that's just what I needed. I'll start shooting and buy/sell as I go. :D

Anyone interested in a really nice Canham MQC 57 with 4x5 reducing back, bag bellows, GG protectors, several LB's, etc. and a LNIB Horseman 6x12 RFH (never used)?

Lachlan 717
9-Dec-2009, 00:04
Lachlan... you and Brad have hurt my little feelings. But I think that's just what I needed. I'll start shooting and buy/sell as I go. :D

Anyone interested in a really nice Canham MQC 57 with 4x5 reducing back, bag bellows, GG protectors, several LB's, etc. and a LNIB Horseman 6x12 RFH (never used)?

Both sorry and you're welcome. What a strange mix of emotions!!

Hope all goes well with the shooting.

Lachlan

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 08:51
Both sorry and you're welcome. What a strange mix of emotions!!

Well, as my daddy always told me, "Son, this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you". :D

Jeremy Moore
9-Dec-2009, 09:19
The thing to keep in mind is this was SUPPOSED to be a very light/compact kit for when I can't carry the 5x12 behemoth. So an ultra-light 4x5 with a 6x12cm RFH was INTENDED to be something I could carry at those times.

Why can't you carry the 5x12 all of the time?

Lachlan 717
9-Dec-2009, 10:43
Well, as my daddy always told me, "Son, this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you". :D

I've heard the same things said by Proctologists...

r_a_feldman
9-Dec-2009, 11:01
Mike,

No offense intended, but I suggest you read Kevin Bourque's short article at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/chasing-magic-bullet.html.

Bob

Frank Petronio
9-Dec-2009, 11:57
Jeez how come you guys are such Puritans? Let the guy spend his money and keep the camera industry going!

I love guys that buy and sell nice equipment, myself included, because it passes on good deals to the next photographer.

Personally I'd go for a Linhof 612 and a couple of lenses. They are sweet cameras. Sure you can get a wooden or tin piece of Chinese crap but how about helping out our European Allies?

But... the Puritan cheapskate in me thinks that a Crown and Horseman 612 would do the same thing and even give you more options.

And face it, you may think you want back movements... in theory. But I bet you'd never use them in practice, unless you're doing something really odd.

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 12:31
Why can't you carry the 5x12 all of the time?

Physical limitations... comes and goes. :rolleyes:

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 12:32
Finding a Fotoman is no problem, everything is in stock.....they are in business as "FOTOMAN CHINA" http://www.fotomancamera.com.cn/

You can contact them to order at ... fotomancamera@yahoo.com.cn . My friend bought the 150mm cone there, everything was fast, smooth, in English. The Fotoman also can focus closer then Horseman/Technorama/Goaersi/etc (with use of a 10mm cone spacer you can reduce the near distance by 1/2....with a larger spacer even more).

The Fotoman stuff is nice but I don't want to carry all the cones for a half dozen lenes. :)

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 12:37
Guys, I really want a lightweight 4x5 dedicated to 6x12cm roll film with lenses ranging from 38-300mm. This is a backup for when I just can't physically carry the 5x12in kit. When I CAN carry the 5x12 that'll be what I use but something smaller/lighter is needed for those not-so-good days. :)

BradS
9-Dec-2009, 13:04
Guys, I really want a lightweight 4x5 dedicated to 6x12cm roll film with lenses ranging from 38-300mm. This is a backup for when I just can't physically carry the 5x12in kit. When I CAN carry the 5x12 that'll be what I use but something smaller/lighter is needed for those not-so-good days. :)

Then the choice is exceedingly easy....the Canham DLC. Don't even trouble yourself agonizing about it any longer. Just get yourself a DLC, slap that Horseman back on it and shoot man, SHOOT!

The DLC is just a wonderful, marvelous camera....life is slipping by....just get it an go! Call Fred or Denis ( or is it Dan?) at the View Camera store and trade in the MQC for a new DLC....Keep throwning in stuff from your stash until it works out to be an even trade (or nearly so).

Don't waste another moment worrying about whether it is or isn't all things to all men. Perfection is way overrated. Just get the Damned thing! Do it NOW!

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 14:23
You're right!! I'll trade in the MQC for a DLC so the 4x5 (6x12cm) kit will be complete. Now... just to find an affordable 5x12 Korona and tripod/head combo that'll keep the behemoth steady... for those days I can actually lug the thing around. :D

Thanks everyone!!

Diane Maher
9-Dec-2009, 14:45
Mike,

No offense intended, but I suggest you read Kevin Bourque's short article at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/chasing-magic-bullet.html.

Bob

I agree.

GPS
9-Dec-2009, 15:02

Oh, blessed be roll film! Who needs film holders? ;)

Mike1234
9-Dec-2009, 16:01
I truly appreciate everyone's input here. But I've been done chasing magic bullets for some time now. At least I think I have been. I settled on two systems... a 5x12in kit for when I'm physically capable of carying it and a lightweight 4x5 (6x12cm) for when I can't. Lens choices for the 4x5 kit were settled on and bought months ago. The 5x12in lens kit was more difficult especially for the 210mm... corner-to-corner sharpness was the issue... setttled on a Graphic-Kowa. If making final decisions on what will best suit my needs is chasing magic bullets then perhaps I still am (was). However, that's over with. I only lack the 5x12 Korona and a tripod/head to support it. I have everything else except for trading in the MQC for a DLC. :)