PDA

View Full Version : color processing

e2aa
7-Dec-2009, 18:03
are there many who develop their own color 8x10 films? i have a professor at school who keeps raving about safety issues around sensitization, etc, and so i'm debating whether i should have all my color negs lab developed.

if doing it at home, what ways and equipment help cut down the negatives of chemical exposure?

any advice would help.

thanks.

Mark Barendt
7-Dec-2009, 18:59
Latex gloves, plastic apron, and decent ventilation.

Ektagraphic
7-Dec-2009, 19:22
I am not even sure if you can use 8X10 film in them (I would imagine that you could) but how about a Jobo processor?

e2aa
7-Dec-2009, 21:25
what qualifies as decent ventilation?

Latex gloves, plastic apron, and decent ventilation.

Mark Barendt
8-Dec-2009, 04:02
what qualifies as decent ventilation?

Probably a bathroom fan for mainstream developers, fixers, and the like; same for printing.

When you get more exotic, say mixing the powders used in the Pyro or using an older plate process, much more care may be needed. It is still doable, just takes more stuff.

Dave Langendonk
11-Dec-2009, 19:12
Kodak C-41 chemistry. Jobo ATL-2300 processor. Jobo 3005 expert drum. Wonderful results. I don't do anything special about ventilation but I do wear latex gloves when mixing the chemistry and when handling the negs. I do the latter more to protect the negative than my hands.

ronald moravec
17-Dec-2009, 13:27
You can get sensitized to metal in developer. People who do get it can be in the same room with metal ever again. It happens, but is rare. I met one person in 50 years.

The precautions of apron, gloves and fan are adequate.

JRFrench
17-Dec-2009, 13:57
Ronald do you mean Metol?

I've been using the Tetenal Colortec c-41 and it is less nasally offensive to me than d-76 and Rapid Fixer. I do use gloves with the c-41 tho, probably because the blix looks so nasty rather than any other reasons.