PDA

View Full Version : Need a new 150mm lens

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 11:33
Took my wista out yesterday to get some use before the bad weather sets in for winter. Too my horror i discovered that it was struggling to focus at all, i swapped to my 90mm to check it wasnt just my eyes going weird, and had no trouble at all, have since double checked the 150 again and there is definitely something wrong.

So I look for a replacement (2nd hand), ideally I'd be getting a schieder or rodenstock, but i dont have much in the way of funds, what other lenses can people suggest, and anywhere in the UK thats good value for large format stock since MXV went bust over the summer.

Toyon
7-Dec-2009, 11:45
Try KEH and MPEX in the U.S. and Robert White in the U.K.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 11:48
Try KEH and MPEX in the U.S. and Robert White in the U.K.

I do keep an eye on robert white's 2nd hand section, but not often much on there, and i cant afford the new prices., thanks though

Ulrich Drolshagen
7-Dec-2009, 11:54
Hi Tom,

I have a spare Sinar selected Schneider Symmar 1:5.6/150mm in good shape. Would 120€ plus shipping be all right?

Ulrich

Eric Woodbury
7-Dec-2009, 11:57
Consider Caltar, which are Rodenstock.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 11:58
Hi Tom,

I have a spare Sinar selected Schneider Symmar 1:5.6/150mm in good shape. Would 120€ plus shipping be all right?

Ulrich

it could be, any chance i can get back to you, also how much would shipping be to the UK?

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 11:58
Consider Caltar, which are Rodenstock.

will look into it, many thanks

Tom

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 12:11
I have two 150's for sale... a Apo Symmar-L and G-Claron. Both are nearly mint with flawless glass but the G-Claron needs the appropriate aperture scale (available from Schneider). I also have a nice coated 152 Ektar with perfect glass but some moderate (cosmetic) wear on the shutter. Any interest? Of course, shipping fees and VAT are a concern for you.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 12:14
I have two 150's for sale... a Apo Symmar-L and G-Claron. Both are nearly mint with flawless glass but the G-Claron needs the appropriate aperture scale (available from Schneider). I also have a nice coated 152 Ektar with perfect glass but some moderate (cosmetic) wear on the shutter. Any interest? Of course, shipping fees and VAT are a concern for you.

Hi mike, it really does depend on prices, I havnt had much paid work of late so i need to work out my budget.

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 12:18
I'll have to research a bit and reply tonight but I'll be more than fair... I have some financial woes of my own here so I need to sell some things.

Frank Bunnik
7-Dec-2009, 14:22
Try Peter Walnes in the UK. He has a Rodenstock 180mm (copal 1 shutter) at the moment for a nice price. I recently bought 2 lenses from him in the same condition as this 180mm and both were great.

Ed Richards
7-Dec-2009, 14:34
Figure out what is wrong with your current lens - unless there is a big crack or obvious separation, it might be something simple, like the rear element has unscrewed a bit.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 14:34
Try Peter Walnes in the UK. He has a Rodenstock 180mm (copal 1 shutter) at the moment for a nice price. I recently bought 2 lenses from him in the same condition as this 180mm and both were great.

will have a look, thanks

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 14:36
Figure out what is wrong with your current lens - unless there is a big crack or obvious separation, it might be something simple, like the rear element has unscrewed a bit.

plan of tonight, there doesnt aprear to be any signs of a crack, if anything it might be one of the optics has slipped abd adjusting the central point of the focus...going to spend tomorrow evenign afterwork working it out, and taking it apart if necessary.

Lachlan 717
7-Dec-2009, 15:42
Have you looked for a Fuji 150mm?

Can't fault mine, nor the prices these are (or aren't) getting nowdays...

Lachlan.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 16:25
Have you looked for a Fuji 150mm?

Can't fault mine, nor the prices these are (or aren't) getting nowdays...

Lachlan.

What i have is a D.O Industries 150mm 5.6, D.O industries was a company that was part of Fuji prducing lenses mainly for scientific use, the lens has been great for the last 2 years, but after stripping it down just now, i have found that the only thing thats been holding it together seems to have been the lens panel!!! Going to find out how much a repair ans service in London will cost, but i think its going to cost me close to that of replacing it with some good ol german optics at 2nd hand value.

Michael Wynd
7-Dec-2009, 16:33
I'll second the Fuji 150. I used to have one for my old 4x5 outfit. Very sharp, a little slow at 6.3, but stopped down to 64, and very light.
Mike

kev curry
7-Dec-2009, 17:15
Tom, you might be hard pushed to find a better deal than the one on offer here from Ulrich... the shipping would be very reasonable and theres no Import duty/VAT or PO handling fees to worry about.

Dont forget that the Symmar is a convertable lens, you get two lenses in one, 150mm plus 265mm.

tombob
7-Dec-2009, 18:09
Tom, you might be hard pushed to find a better deal than the one on offer here from Ulrich... the shipping would be very reasonable and theres no Import duty/VAT or PO handling fees to worry about.

Dont forget that the Symmar is a convertable lens, you get two lenses in one, 150mm plus 265mm.

Hi Kev, I didn't realise it could be converted easily into a 265mm, I'm going to look at the prices of getting mine repaired tomorrow and go from there, though i am sorely tempted by this offer i will admit.

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 18:40
The 265 must be closed down to 22 or more. Convertibles are not that sharp without both elements. They "can" make decent portrait lenses if fuzzy is what you want.

Frank Bunnik
7-Dec-2009, 22:19
Ffordes also has 3 150mm lenses in their used large format section.

tombob
8-Dec-2009, 02:28
Thanks Frank will have a look

kev curry
8-Dec-2009, 02:32
Tom, if you decide on the Symmar convertable make sure that its in the correct shutter with the 256mm f12 aperture scale (written in green)
If you do a search here for ''symmar convertable'' you'll find plenty info.

tombob
8-Dec-2009, 04:03
cheers kev, ulrich is going to send me some pics of it laer, and i'm callin some repair places today.

kev curry
8-Dec-2009, 04:17
Tom, you might find this interesting...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/schneider/150.htm