PDA

View Full Version : Ever had one of those days

johnschlicher
6-Dec-2009, 17:10
Just wondering if any one else has a day that nothing worked--at least not up to your expectations

All this money we've spent on our gear, lenses, film backs, camera, boards, lights, meters, film, props---( I want to curse here )

In four years I've only framed 1 picture--

I see people post there first large format picture---( I'm thinking son bitch thats a great shot)

Sorry for venting, was looking forward to posting something spectacular with my new Verito---Not

Tired and weary signing off

Ed Richards
6-Dec-2009, 17:23
I am sure many of us do. For me, I try to get out and take pictures again as soon as I can, to remember that I am doing this because I like to take pictures.

Nathan Potter
6-Dec-2009, 17:23
My true condolences John. But it sounds not like one bad day but maybe four years of bad days! Best to take a break, perhaps some alcohol (not too much) and then re-evaluate where you're going with all that equipment. Perhaps focus narrowly and proceed systematically.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2009, 17:24
John,

I've had many of "those kind" of days during my past sixty-three years as a photo hobbyist.

However, If I had spent four years and a considerable sum of money and only had one picture worth hanging on my wall, I would have given up photography and looked for a more satisfying hobby.

Perhaps you need to attend a photo workshop?

Tiziano
6-Dec-2009, 17:37
Don't give up. The difficulties are part of the fun. If you wanted it easy, you would be using a digital point and shot camera!

johnschlicher
6-Dec-2009, 17:38
Thanks Ed--I am a perfectionist

My family and friends have several of my prints hanging on there walls--Once I get a scanner I would like some constructive criticism--you can't hurt my feelings I'm a construction worker.

I love photography because it is a beautiful way to express ( in detail, and not so much detail ) how you see things

I'm looking for tone, value, contrast, image perspective, and over all Man thats a great shot--

Just didn't happen today

BarryS
6-Dec-2009, 17:39
Maybe you just need more frames. :) Seriously, who's productive every day they go out shooting? There are two possibilities here. One is, you're being too hard on yourself and you probably have more good photos than you think. The second possibility is that your photographs are falling very short of where you think they should be.

My personal mantra is Albert Einstein's oft-quoted definition of insanity--Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I have to repeat it to myself, because it's easy to forget. Change something.

Blumine
6-Dec-2009, 17:49
Yeah, I have had many a day like the one you are describing......................usually I call them Monday. They never go right for me regardless of what I am doing.

Blumine

Eric Rose
6-Dec-2009, 18:05
How many images have you exposed in LF in the past 4 years? When talking with Bruce Barnbaum he mentioned if he gets a half dozen good images a year he is happy. Given all the images he creates in one year that must be a small percentage.

Preston
6-Dec-2009, 18:05
When you look at the work of others and say something like, "Man, that's a great shot!", ask yourself why it hits you the way it does and in what ways it inspires you.

Next, grab a camera and put that inspiration to work!

-Preston

windpointphoto
6-Dec-2009, 18:12
Not me. My life is great.

Allen in Montreal
6-Dec-2009, 18:27
John,

Everybody has bad runs,
Everyone shoots some completely horse%$# pictures, ( I am just about to post one :) )
Most everyone sees how they can make a picture better as soon as they have processed it.
Sure there are always better shooters out there, and there are always worse too.
But in the end, it is not about them and their pictures or how you compare.
It is all about the love of the art and the enjoyment you feel while shooting and printing.

You and your work will be judged here (imho) by the level of passion you have and how hard you apply yourself.

Never surrender if you are enjoying the medium.

I bet you have framed only one image because you are a perfectionist and your own toughest critic, which is a very good thing, just don't let that spoil your love for the art.

Someone once posted a great quote about the greatest artists have the most self doubt and the most self confident are the almost always the lesser artists! :) :)

Take a breather, load some holders and shoot completely fresh subject matter!
A place you have never been, an item you have never seen.

Never surrender!

Juergen Sattler
6-Dec-2009, 18:43
Not me. My life is great.

You are my Hero!

Vaughn
6-Dec-2009, 18:51
Well, I got out and photographed today. Drove the 50 miles up to my favorite area in the redwoods. It did not look to promising -- sunny and a very slight, but rather consistant breeze. Hiked through the redwoods with my 60 pounds of equipment a couple miles. Set the camera up a couple times, but the light was shifting fast and the breeze was too much. Always seems to be a little disappointing to set the camera up and not get an negative exposed (I do a lot of "editing" before setting the camera up)

But it was beautiful under the Redwoods. A small group of hikers passed by while I had the camera up and enjoyed talking about the camera and photography for several minutes.

I mentally repeated one of my favorite sayings "A bad day of LF landscape photography can still be a good day of exercise!" and started back towards the car.

Normally, the light under the redwoods sort of dies and becomes less interesting once you get past 2 pm or so. Almost back at the car, I turned around and saw the possibility of a great image that might be the first of a series that I have been thinking about for awhile. Set the camera up and made 3 exposures. Got back to the car and decided to walk a little on another trail -- and ended up taking another exposure (now about 4pm).

So I am glad I did not "give up" early. Still have to develop the negs and see if I got what I hope I did. If not -- I still had a great day out there. No naked ladies this time (might be due to the frost that was still on the ground in places at 4pm!)

My point? Hell, I don't know -- just using your post as an excuse to tell about my day, I guess.:D

Vaughn

lenser
6-Dec-2009, 19:13
Leonard, you are truly a scamp. The only thing wrong with your life is that you need to share more of it.

John, Try going out a time or two without the camera and just "look". One of my favorite authors, Colin Fletcher of "The Complete Walker" fame, spoke of being freed from the "tyranny of the camera" after shattering his on a boulder during his hike from one end of California to the other. During the week or so he had to hike sans camera until a spare was sent in, he spoke of finding a whole different vision for the world he was seeing and a whole new appreciation for the images once he had the replacement and was shooting again.

Sometimes just looking wakes us up to what we might have been missing while trying to force an image through the lens.

Good luck.

Mike1234
6-Dec-2009, 19:14
John, if you're not already scanning/manipulating/printing your own then I suggest it's time you start. Same goes for analog wet process if that's the route you want to take. You cannot "perfect" someone else's work.

Mike1234
6-Dec-2009, 19:19
Leonard, you are one sexy dude. Whos the ugly guy next to you wearing the hat?

johnschlicher
6-Dec-2009, 19:31
John, if you're not already scanning/manipulating/printing your own then I suggest it's time you start. Same goes for analog wet process if that's the route you want to take. You cannot "perfect" someone else's work.

I do--Not so much scanning--but I do develop and print

There's no one else to blame

Thanks for all the kind words to every one else--some of you really hit it on the head.

I have a lot of self doubt--one of my favorite bosses when I was a apprentice always
said" Never let them see you sweat" --

Sorry for sweating a little here

Mike1234
6-Dec-2009, 19:42
John, why don't you post a few you DO like and tell us why you like them? Then post a few you're not quite happy with and explain why.

Brian Sims
6-Dec-2009, 19:51
John, Think of all that frustration and tension building up to that first great print as foreplay. It's always better the longer it lasts....

One more thing. I was a gymnast in school, and everytime I tried for that 9.9 routine, I'd fall off the pommel horse. If, however, I just tried to improve one thing that I knew I could do better, I'd score a couple of tenths higher than before. Dream high, but work incrementally.

Good luck.

Craig Roberts
6-Dec-2009, 21:38
Len, Nice hat!

David Karp
6-Dec-2009, 22:19
Take some of those that you think are good, but not "perfect" and mount them on a white board, and live with them a while. See if there is something you might want to do in the darkroom. Over the years, I have had photos that grew on me. After a while, I get over what I wanted in the photo and saw what I had instead. Sometimes what I had was better than what I wanted. Sometimes I see things that I want to do in the darkroom that "makes" the photo. Don't be too hard on yourself. That will make it harder to see when you are out looking for photos.

johnschlicher
7-Dec-2009, 04:34
Most of you guys have some very good advice, I think I have to many formats i'm all over the board shooting expired film, expired glass negatives, paper negatives. now that i'm back to work I think I want to buy some hp5 and stay with my 8 x10.

I don't have a consistent system, I shoot basically with old brass, and my favorite 12" Dagor.

I just need to figure it out, before I buy my 8 x 20 next month

Kind of amazing how 4 years ago I started with a beat up speed graphic 4x5, this stuff is very addicting

It's also amazing before I started shooting I was basically a drunk and a brawler, after sitting in jail for the third time for being in a barfight--I starting looking for a different avenue--1--quit drinking 2--not putting my self in a situation were violence could erupt 3--find a hobby

Basically what I am trying to say it Thanks--thanks to this forum and it's members some of you over the past year --Have changed the way I see things--open my eyes up to alot of beautiful opportunities

This better then an AA meeting anyday

Once again Thanks

John

Allen in Montreal
7-Dec-2009, 05:41
John,

One film, one developer and one paper for the next little while, really get to know those inside out first before venturing down any other roads.

GPS
7-Dec-2009, 05:49
Thanks Ed--I am a perfectionist
I'm looking for tone, value, contrast, image perspective, and over all Man thats a great shot--

Just didn't happen today

Looking for beauty will settle you down...

Chuck Pere
7-Dec-2009, 07:12
Do you have any sources for local photo feedback? It helps to get some feedback from people in any kind of local group. You also get to see their work and how they print. And I find that for large format you have to enjoy the process. The end result is only one part of that.

Preston
7-Dec-2009, 07:16
"Looking for beauty will settle you down..."

Seeing beauty will help you grow.

-Preston

Robert Hughes
7-Dec-2009, 08:28
I love perfectionists - they leave the field wide open for the rest of us! :p

Robert Hughes
7-Dec-2009, 08:29
Len, Nice hat!
What hat? :confused:

Brian Ellis
7-Dec-2009, 09:03
"Better to have a good memory than a bad photograph."

"Photography is 90% drudgery and 10% Christmas."

John Sexton

"Better to have a nude model next to you than in front of your camera."

Leonard Peterson

John Jarosz
7-Dec-2009, 09:29
Happens all the time.

I call it "King Midas in reverse day"

johnschlicher
7-Dec-2009, 17:08

Ok Verito ---wide open paper negative--5 min exposure--

My scanner is the cheapest one you can buy used hp scan jet 3300 c

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 17:10
John, that's a beautiful shot. Tell us though... do you always use paper negs?

johnschlicher
7-Dec-2009, 17:15
Only b/c I was laid off for 10 months and couldn't afford film--us Germans are resourceful--I'm looking for a nice slow to medium 8 x 10 film, any suggestions

eddie
7-Dec-2009, 17:23
--I'm looking for a nice slow to medium 8 x 10 film, any suggestions

arista.edu.ultra100.

it is all i shoot...............

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 17:28
Well, although they have merrit in the cost-saving arena, paper negs just can't match high quality film. Perhaps this is your dissatisfaction with the final product?

johnschlicher
7-Dec-2009, 17:53
Well, although they have merrit in the cost-saving arena, paper negs just can't match high quality film. Perhaps this is your dissatisfaction with the final product?

Paper negatives have nothing to do with it--I was just in a funk probably should have never posted this thread.

Thanks Eddie, I will look for that, unless you have some you want to sell?

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 18:26
Come on, John. Stand up and be counted. We all get in a funk. In fact, I just lost my home and this after I have no more family left to lose. Life goes on for us survisors, John. Make of it what you can. I mean this as kindly as I'm currently able to... stop being a wuss.

johnschlicher
7-Dec-2009, 18:41
Come on, John. Stand up and be counted. We all get in a funk. In fact, I just lost my home and this after I have no more family left. Life goes on. Make of it what you can. I mean this as kindly as I'm currently able... stop being a wuss.

Mike --Sorry for you misfortune

There is no wuss or puss here, in my drinking days you and I would have a major problem right now--

If you want to fight try it in person sometime, it's alot more satisfying than online name calling--if I were you, I would be mad at the world right now too.

I've lost and then lost some more, you have no clue who your talking or what I've been through in my 44 years of existence, basically everyone has a story.

Sorry for posting mine here-- don't be a dip shit.

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 18:52
* thinking *

Jim Cole
8-Dec-2009, 09:53
Come on, John. Stand up and be counted. We all get in a funk. In fact, I just lost my home and this after I have no more family left to lose. Life goes on for us survisors, John. Make of it what you can. I mean this as kindly as I'm currently able to... stop being a wuss.

Mike,

Do you ever post anything that doesn't seriously piss people off?

kev curry
8-Dec-2009, 10:59
Hey Johnschlicher theres no argument on who's standing here... pull a chair, you deserve it;)

Mike1234
8-Dec-2009, 11:43
Mike,

Do you ever post anything that doesn't seriously piss people off?

I meant it as a "chin up" and "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" and "get back on the horse" and "stand up and brush yourself off" sort of thing. I didn't intend to hurt or piss off. If that's what I did I'm sorry.

Louis Pacilla
8-Dec-2009, 19:58
Hi John

Hey man that is a very nice image. I like the sharp rim around the front rose's & the dark fall off. very cool man.

Peace
Louis

BTW- I was looking again what I said earlier sticks.Very nice image buddy!