PDA

View Full Version : Dallas/Fort Worth + Michael and Paula?

William McEwen
5-Dec-2009, 07:16
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Vision_and_Technique_Workshop.html

I've always been interested in taking Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee's "Vision and Techniques" workshop, but one of the barriers has been getting to rural PA.

Here's an idea -- how about trying to get M+P to come here to teach it?

Might there be seven more of you in DFW that are interested?

Gem Singer
5-Dec-2009, 15:26
William,

I'm interested, but Michael and Paula might not be interested.

Give it a try.

William McEwen
5-Dec-2009, 16:23
William,

I'm interested, but Michael and Paula might not be interested.

Give it a try.

They've taught their workshop on several continents -- so I'm guessing they might not mind coming to sunny DFW. I'm hoping we can get a group together that's interested, then we'll see if we can recruit them.

Doug Howk
5-Dec-2009, 18:07
We were able to convince them to come to Daytona, FL for a workshop this past Spring. With Paula being from Texas, it might be an easier task. You do have to have suitable facilities, etc.. But the workshop itself was definitely worth our efforts.

Bob McCarthy
6-Dec-2009, 08:13
Certainly timing is an issue? When were you thinking this might come off?

BTW, this is right up Michael's alley, he traveling, but I would consider him a good prospect.

bob

bigdog
6-Dec-2009, 12:53
You do have to have suitable facilities, etc ...

And what would those requirements be?

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2009, 13:16
David (bigdog),

The size of the facility would depend on the number of attendees we can gather.

There are many hotels here in the DFW area that would be happy to rent us a meeting room.

But first:

1. Michael and Paula would need to agree to come to DFW.

2. They would need to quote a fee for their presentation (including their transportation , lodging, and expenses) that we can afford.

3. We would need to recruit a large enough group to pay their fee and still keep the cost for each individual attendee at a reasonable amount.

If Michael and Paula can make room for us in their busy schedule, I believe that this could be a dooable project.

Doug Howk
6-Dec-2009, 13:45
Facilities - Daytona State College has a rather large photography department/building. For both M&P's and Tillman Crane's workshops we used their alt process room suitable for contact printing and processing and large enough for up to 10-12 attendees. M&P also demonstrate negative developing by inspection. We also used the school's matting/framing rooms and a room suitable for displaying/evaluating prints.

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2009, 14:15
A darkroom? Hadn't considered that need.

I'm certain we can come up with a solution to the problem.

There are several universities and community colleges in the DFW area, Surely, at least one of them maintains a darkroom. I'm aware that Northlake College in Irving has a photography dept. Perhaps TSU or SMU?

if we can generate enough interest, we should be able to find a proper facility.

J.Medlock
6-Dec-2009, 16:44
A darkroom? Hadn't considered that need.
There are several universities and community colleges in the DFW area, Surely, at least one of them maintains a darkroom. I'm aware that Northlake College in Irving has a photography dept. Perhaps TSU or SMU?

I live in New Mexico now, but I first learned B&W Darkroom at Richland Community College in Dallas. They have very nice facilities; I forget how many enlargers (maybe 15 or more).

From their website:

"When you experience our high quality darkroom, photography studio, print finishing equipment, and computer labs, combined with continuous instructional supervision and lab maintenance, you will understand the pride we have in our facility and why we feel that your time with us will be A Unique Experience. If you have any questions about our program, please call the Photography Department at Richland College. (972)238-6985"

http://www.rlc.dcccd.edu/photography/

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2009, 16:52
I forgot about Richland College.

Jerry Ulesmann presented there a few weeks ago.

That's probably the fist place we would contact if Michael and Paula agree to come to Dallas.

Need to know approx. how many would be interested.

Bill_1856
6-Dec-2009, 17:04
For me, a considerable part of the pleasure in their workshop was the ambience of their home in Bucks County.
I consider that weekend a highlight of my 60+ years in photography.

Gem Singer
6-Dec-2009, 17:10
It would be very difficult to get twenty, or twenty-five people from Dallas to travel to Bucks County,PA to attend a Michael and Paula workshop at the same time.

Not to mention the cost and hassel of transporting and housing that many people.

Can they handle such a large group at their facility?

Bill_1856
6-Dec-2009, 20:08
I think there were a maximum of 8 (or 10?) at the workshop I attended.

henrysamson
7-Dec-2009, 13:28
I think there were a maximum of 8 (or 10?) at the workshop I attended.

Eight for the workshops in PA.

Rick Floyd
7-Dec-2009, 14:15
Count me in.

RF

William McEwen
8-Dec-2009, 08:07
Workshop fee is something of the order of $700. We'll need eight committed participants + a darkroom with room for all of us to watch demonstrations. I'll pursue it.

Jeremy Moore
27-Jan-2010, 20:53
Any more movement on this?