PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara 4x5 questions

StuartB
4-Dec-2009, 11:22
Hi,

This is my first post, so be gentle....

I've just moved up to large format after many years of 35mm and medium format. I bought a Tachihara 4x5 field camera, which came with a Fujinon 180mm f5.6 in a copal 0 shutter. I'm slowly getting the hang of the movements and what they do, but I have a question, which may well be very simple.

On the front standard, there is a brass rail with three lugs on it. The bottom of the lensboard slides behind these lugs and is then fastened at the top. However, I've noticed that the centre lug protrudes so far over the lens board that it fouls the lower of the two iris indicators, effectively stopping the iris from closing down past f32. Is this a known issue with these cameras?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

J Ney
4-Dec-2009, 11:31
Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the forum! I have a Tachihara and - if I'm understanding your issue correctly - I think the problem could be remedied if you rotate the lens on the lensboard such that the aperture toggle range does not overlap with any of the other fasteners. I have a similar issue with a 300mm lens on a Copal 3 shutter but the fastener doesn't completely impede the travel of the aperture toggle.

I hope this response makes sense... the only tool you'd probably need for adjusting the lens on the lens board is a spanner wrench (if that).

Good luck... and let us know how it goes!

-J

J Ney
4-Dec-2009, 11:32
If your issue is different and someone smarter than me (just about everyone) can't figure it out, perhaps you could post a picture of your issue.

-J

Gem Singer
4-Dec-2009, 11:33
Hi Stuart,

I have owned a Tachi and used it with Fuji lenses.

From your description, I have no idea what you are referring to.

Is it possible to post a picture?

StuartB
4-Dec-2009, 11:51
Thanks, rotating the lens on the board will solve it. I suppose it's just one of those weird quirks that cameras have...

drew.saunders
4-Dec-2009, 12:00
I had that problem with a size 1 shutter (I think the 180/5.6 uses a size 1 shutter instead of a 0) and my Tachi. I bent the middle tab out a bit to make it clear. If you ever go to a size 3 lens, you'll want to use a flange (which will push the lens out a bit from the lensboard) instead of a retaining ring, a statement that will make no sense to you now, but may later.

Mike1234
4-Dec-2009, 12:08
Maybe you can just rotate the lens to a different viewing angle that avoids that problem. If not, I'd just cut it off and file it smooth. It seems unnecessary/redundant to the far stronger outer clips. If anyone sees a reason to not do this please correct me.

Brian Ellis
4-Dec-2009, 15:19
Just rotate the lens and shutter in the lens board so that this doesn't happen. There's no magic to the way the lens and shutter are positioned in the board. You should be able to orient them in a way such that this doesn't happen and that's also convenient for you to use. I've owned two Tachiharas and never had a problem like this.

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2009, 21:40
I agree with rotating the lens. Is it mounted with a flange or retaining ring? Likely it's held on with a retaining ring since it is a newer lens and you can loosen the retaining ring with a spanner, rotate the lens so it won't foul and re-tighten the retaining ring. There might be a protruding screw on the back of the shutter to prevent rotation. If there is you can remove the screw or else make a new recess for it (a piece of cake with a wooden lensboard)
If it is mounted with a flange, remove the lens and unscrew the flange from the lensboard, then rotate the flange so the wood screws will be in different screw holes before remounting the lens. That should do the trick nicely! Your back will also thank you for having the aperture selection lever where it will be easier to see! :)

Enjoy that Tachi!

Jon Wilson
7-Dec-2009, 22:39
Ditto the replies of rotating the lens by loosening the retaining ring or shifting the flange. I have this 4x5 camera and if your has the fensel (sp) with the gg it is extremely bright. You will find that the maximum bellow extension will accommodate a 12 inch/300mm lens. If you which to use a longer lens or closeup, you will need to obtain the front extension lensboard.

Enjoy and welcome to the addiction. Us addicts to LF love new users. I started with MF years ago and now I have 4x5 thru 11x14, including 2 recently acquired WP (whole plate) cameras. That large gg is more addictive as the eyes grow old.

Jon