PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this?

Pawlowski6132
4-Dec-2009, 10:53
Would you buy THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400088470994&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)? Why or why not?

Assuming you had $500 and could p/u and didn't already have an 8x10 AND shoot many portraits in a studio with a 4x5.

Robert Hughes
4-Dec-2009, 11:02
Yeah, I'd buy it for that price. It looks like it's been refurb'ed along the way, so if you're expecting it to be all original, you may be disappointed. But if you are going for function, it may be just the ticket.

Math
4-Dec-2009, 11:14
It's an auction, just because it starts at 500$ doesn't mean you can buy it for that price... Do keep that in mind! :)

Louis Pacilla
4-Dec-2009, 11:18
Hi There

I would buy her if I really wanted a Century. The stand has been painted & that kind of sucks but the stand is a century Semi-Centennial #2. that's bigger & more robust than the #1. It was meant to go w/ the Century #8 11x14 camera. They made far less 8's than they made all the other models. So it stands to reason (no pun intended)that there are far fewer # 2 Semi-Centennial's around as well.

The camera seems to be #7 Century which has shorter bellows around 29" versus the 10 0r 9 which are around 36-38 & maybe 40 but i don't think so. Still a great camera just a bit limiting on lens focal lenght you can use & all. The bellow seem to have a sag which pisses me off. If it where to be stored w/ the bellows racked in this would not have happened. Bummer.I did not read if they are light tight or not but that is not a big deal either way.Better if no holes . but small corner holes can be worked around. No big gaping holes though. not much to if that's the case except replacement & that will coast ya.

Over all I think it's a fine Century & hell for $500 I believe that is a steal . But that could be me. As I think all century & alike Studios are under valued. I would not sell any of mine for less than $2000.00. & up each ( I may through in a lens if it gets high enough) Which I will would never get. so I'll just keep 'em:D

Hope this helps, now I have to get out the door before the sun goes down & I have no images to show for the beautiful day here in western PA.

Peace
Louis P.

Louis Pacilla
4-Dec-2009, 12:57
Hi

Yea That's a 10a that looks like it may be missing it.s pedestal . That my be another reason why there is a sag in the bellows. other than that the camera looks nice enough.
Peace
Louis

Steven Tribe
4-Dec-2009, 13:40
Nice lens and it comes from South Bend - home of Graf Optical!

MIke Sherck
4-Dec-2009, 13:41
Nope. I passed one up at an estate auction a couple of years ago: it sold for $20. It needed restoration, I'm not a woodworker (wife claims I'm not a worker at all!) and including the stand it was 'way too large to fit into my compact car. *Shrug* I don't regret it.

I think the one I passed up on was an 11x14, with an 8x10 back.

Heh, should have read it closer. This might be the one I passed up on: the auction was outside of Edwardsburg, Michigan, which is just north of South Bend.

gregvds
4-Dec-2009, 14:35
I wouldn't.

Too big and cubersome for me. Still on the 4x5"...

goamules
4-Dec-2009, 15:01
If I was close I certainly would. Figure the camera even on a bad day is worth $200, the stand $200, the lens and shutter...about $200. On a good day, you could sell one or two of the items and it would pay for the one you keep.

I'd strip that ugly brown paint off the stand to reveal it's mahogany though. I waited about 2 years before I found a stand close enough to drive to. Some people try to sell these setups for like $1799.99 but they really are more common than that...just hard to ship.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
4-Dec-2009, 15:03
The only reason to buy one of these (aside from aesthetics) is if you have big portrait lenses, if so you need a sturdy front standard and a 9x9 lensboard. If you don't have any of these, run away, because this can turn really expensive really quickly. Also read careful what Louis writes, as he points out that this only has 29" of draw. That is really quite short. That means a bit over 1:1 with a 14" lens, which is IMO a bit short for 8x10".

BarryS
4-Dec-2009, 15:23
I think it's a fair deal at $500, but I probably wouldn't go over that. There's very little demand for old studio cameras and even less if the seller won't ship. On the plus side, the camera looks like it's in very good shape and the 2a stand is a plus, but that paint job is fugly. The shutter isn't working, so I'd assume a a value of $50 for the Radar--they go for peanuts in a barrel. It's a 10a, so the bellows should be 36"--plenty long. The camera does look like it might have been refinished, but aside from the bellows sag, the wood is in very nice condition.

Frank Bagbey
4-Dec-2009, 19:00
I have a similar one with the tilting bed covered in red velvet. I have all the backs for it and have shot 8x10 and 5x7 in the studio. Even with old Wollensak lenses in Betax shutters, I made some great negatives. Made me feel like George Horrell, or someone from the Hollywood days. A camera like this makes a great conversation piece in the waiting room of a modern studio. Every one with a studio should have one.

Brian Ellis
4-Dec-2009, 20:38
For decoration and a conversation piece, maybe. For use? No.

goamules
4-Dec-2009, 21:25
The only reason to buy one of these (aside from aesthetics) is if you have big portrait lenses, if so you need a sturdy front standard and a 9x9 lensboard. If you don't have any of these, run away, because this can turn really expensive really quickly. Also read careful what Louis writes, as he points out that this only has 29" of draw. That is really quite short. That means a bit over 1:1 with a 14" lens, which is IMO a bit short for 8x10".

I would agree on these two main points. I don't use the Century because it is inherently good. I use it because lenses such as a large Vitax or Verito don't really fit anything cheap I've found. I also have run into the problem with too short bellows, some of the other Century models with double bellows would be better. I had to sell a nice 11x16 rapid rectilinear because it's 28" focal length wouldn't do with this camera...

But otherwise, I love using it and the stand. Nice for wetplate and large petzvals.

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2009, 00:32
Nope. I'd hold out for an 11x14. Contacts of 11x14 portraits in platinum are something very special. 8x10 is fine, but unless you need something to handle big heavy lenses I think a lighter 8x10 camera would be far less cumberous to play with and far more useful for other types of potography.
But,
if I had the room and the means to obtain an 11x14 studio camera, holders, and a big soft lens, that would be my preferred portrait set up.:)

goamules
5-Dec-2009, 08:28
For decoration and a conversation piece, maybe. For use? No.

I'm surprised at the responses that say these cameras aren't good to use. I don't concur, but everyone gets an opinion. To me, I like the Centennial stand because it is hardwood, solid and robust, inexpensive (I paid $200 for mine, they are sometimes cheaper). It has good adjustments, and you can put a 50lb camera and lens on it if you wish.

I like the Century cameras because they use a 9" lensboard which about 8 of my lenses need. The front standard is strong enough for the weight. Being a traditionalist, there is something about a wood and brass camera that I like more than a ....(what would be a good studio camera, for around $200, that would support a 19" Petzval?).

Use? I use mine all the time.

Garrett

77seriesiii
6-Dec-2009, 14:27
I'm waiting for an 8A w/ Century 2 stand to show up at my place, so my answer is YEP! A camera examination would be great if possible. There are other cameras available on ebay for the looking. Eddie seems to come across these fairly often and may have something available, I would contact him to see what he has if that auction falls through.

Bellows replacement, if they have to be replaced is roughly $400 and the 9x9 boards are great if you are looking for something that will hold big old heavy lenses. If you are not planning on shooting these type of lenses or shooting studio shots then I would save the money and look for a different camera.

erick

Gene McCluney
7-Dec-2009, 09:38
These style of cameras are great in a Studio situation, but practically useless for location work. If you want a great camera for studio exclusive use with large lenses, then this may be your onion.

The photo depicted in your link shows the camera sitting backwards on the stand. No big deal, as the camera just sits there, it is not attached to the stand at all.

As far as a short bellows is concerned. You can have a longer bellows made as a replacement, but I doubt you can get it in red anymore.