PDA

View Full Version : Large brass universal lens chuck iris clamp flange identification

Math
4-Dec-2009, 09:27
Posting this here because I'm not quite sure on the background of this universal iris. I realize that like most, the original manufacturer is unknown nor does it matter, but I have yet to see one like this. It is one of the most beautiful I have seen. Perhaps anyone knows it's origin? It's quite large, the diameter of the whole thing is 13.5cm, largest opening is 8.3cm, and smallest is 4.7cm, as far as I can measure accurately.
Closing it down is done by holding the base which would be mounted on a board, and holding both knobs and turning the whole thing, locking would have originally been done by the knob, but is no longer working. It has been replaced with two screws on both ends, which do not see to be original. Though even without locking, it holds the biggest lens I could fit in it very firm (Cassar 21cm).
I doubt I will use it, as it's much too large for my camera. I'll probably end up selling it as I'm pretty broke, large format is not too cheap on a student like me. Nevermind them glass plates that have been luring at me lately... :rolleyes: Otherwise I'd think of a trade: I'm still saving a smaller iris up for a speed graphic... :o What would be a reasonable price? It's not in perfect condition, the blades are straigt but have a bit of oil on them? However it is useable for sure.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4963/largebrassirisforpostin.jpg

With kind regards,
Mathijs.