PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss 171mm bellows question

Acheron Photography
4-Dec-2009, 06:35
Slightly technical one for those Arca experts out there - your help would be much appreciated.

I have the older style 171mm Arca. The bellows attaches by going under a bar at the top of the front standard, then two clips screw in at the bottom. I recently bought a wide angle 171mm Arca bellows but am having difficulties fitting it as it does not slide in easily: the problem is that there are two pieces on the sides of the standards which it can't get past. My standard bellows has cut outs to accommodate these pieces.

So - am I being stupid? Or is there an incompatibility between the 171mm F line stuff and the older C type bellows?

Many thanks.

David.

RK_LFteacher
4-Dec-2009, 09:11
Slightly technical one for those Arca experts out there - your help would be much appreciated.

I have the older style 171mm Arca. The bellows attaches by going under a bar at the top of the front standard, then two clips screw in at the bottom. I recently bought a wide angle 171mm Arca bellows but am having difficulties fitting it as it does not slide in easily: the problem is that there are two pieces on the sides of the standards which it can't get past. My standard bellows has cut outs to accommodate these pieces.

So - am I being stupid? Or is there an incompatibility between the 171mm F line stuff and the older C type bellows?

Many thanks.

David.

David,
Is your camera F line? Or older 171 style?
The rounded channels on an f-line I think are what you are referring to when you say they interfere with installing the bellows. Also all 171 bellows always have a silver dot on one edge of the bellows. This should be at top of bellows when installing.
A little emory cloth on th edge of frame may make it slip in easier. Or they usually wear in after a dozen or so installations.
Rod

Acheron Photography
4-Dec-2009, 10:21
David,
Is your camera F line? Or older 171 style?
The rounded channels on an f-line I think are what you are referring to when you say they interfere with installing the bellows. Also all 171 bellows always have a silver dot on one edge of the bellows. This should be at top of bellows when installing.
A little emory cloth on th edge of frame may make it slip in easier. Or they usually wear in after a dozen or so installations.
Rod

Thanks for the message Rod. My camera is the older style - it was sold to me as a 'Pro 3' but I think it is more properly described as a C. The rear standard looks exactly like this
http://img253.imageshack.us/i/arcaswiss2.jpg/

My old bellows, which fit, do not have a silver dot or rounded channels but they do have cut outs. The bag bellows which I am trying to fit has a silver dot, rounded channels, and no cut outs.

Kind regards

David.