PDA

View Full Version : square image-square frame?

Eric Brody
3-Dec-2009, 11:31
I sometimes find myself with square images, either from cropped 4x5 or from 6x6. Is there a "rule" or tradition about framing/matting these? I have framed them in both square frames and in rectangular frames, eg 8x8 in an 11x14 frame or 11x11 in a 16x20 frame. I have a hard time deciding which I like better.

Thanks.

Eric

Alan Davenport
3-Dec-2009, 11:43
There is no rule. As soon as you decide which framing format you prefer, use that one. The next time, you might prefer something else.

It's your photo, and it's your presentation of that photo. You get to do it your way.

shileshjani
3-Dec-2009, 11:44
I personally prefer square images in a rectangular frame (portrait orientation), and I also like rectangular images in a square frame.

h2oman
3-Dec-2009, 12:13
I have a couple square images that I matted to 16x20 (portrait orientation) with a moderatley strong bottom weighting, and I think they look great like that. One advantage to that is that they would look OK hung along with rectangular images in portrait orientaion, matted to the same size.

Gregg Waterman
Lazy but not even close to retired bum

William McEwen
3-Dec-2009, 12:22
My framer HATES putting square images in square frames -- he insists on rectangle frames, with the image placed vertically. That looks good to me, too, but sometimes when I see a square picture in a square frame, it looks more finished.

Jeremy Moore
3-Dec-2009, 13:01
I prefer small square pictures (8" square and smaller) in vertically oriented rectangular frames, but prefer large square pictures (16" square and up) in square frames.

I don't know about between 8 and 16, though, but I never print in that range myself so I haven't tackled the issue.

tiggert
20-Feb-2013, 22:27
I prefer small square pictures (8" square and smaller) in vertically oriented rectangular frames, but prefer large square pictures (16" square and up) in square frames.

I don't know about between 8 and 16, though, but I never print in that range myself so I haven't tackled the issue.

+1 I like those shapes for those sizes.

C. D. Keth
20-Feb-2013, 22:38
I like square photos in mildly rectangular frames. If the top and sides get space with measurement that we'll call one unit, I like to give the bottom 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 units of space.