PDA

View Full Version : PhaseOne on LF camera.

beddon
3-Dec-2009, 08:50
Hello.
Could someone help me?
I own a phaseone H20, and want to jump to 4x5. Iīve been checking out on ebay to get the equipment, but not really sure if its compatible.
I know I would need an adapter for my back but donīt know if it is universal 4x5 or made to measure depending on the brand. I also wanted to get a 150mm lens for product photography. Any advices on that? I have the cambo SC and maybe a sinar on my mind, but donīt really know where to start. Linhoff could be a good one too.
Many thanks.

Robert Hughes
3-Dec-2009, 09:28
Sorry to disappoint you, but the measurements don't line up. The PhaseOne is measured in pixels, but film is measured in English units (except for that fake Euro film, which is measured in milliliters per centigrade). The units just won't mix. You ever tried to screw a normal bolt into an old English motorcycle, you'll know what I'm talking about...

RPNugent
3-Dec-2009, 09:43
Use the search function to find Bob Saloman's email and email him for a more reasonable answer.

Oren Grad
3-Dec-2009, 09:58
Linhof offers an adapter that allows the use of V-mount digital backs on 4x5 cameras with Graflok fittings, though I've never seen a picture or detailed specifications.

Fotodiox offers a V-mount sliding back adapter:

http://www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111

You'd have to test these to see whether the machining is precise enough to keep the focusing screen aligned correctly with the sensor plane.

Joerg Krusche
3-Dec-2009, 09:59
robert,

that was a nice one ... could not stop laughing !!!

joerg

beddon
3-Dec-2009, 13:03
Thanks for your answers!
:)

Qzone
4-Dec-2009, 11:30
I just recently received one that I bought off their ebay site - I think they call it the Widepan adapter. I bought the V version, not the H. I plan to use my P20 on the adapter. Mine has a seperate Focusing screen with the Film/DB mount adjacent to it. So no need to remove the back for focusing, just slide to the right to focus, slide to left to capture. The price was about $360. There are similar ones from other sellers for around the same price.

The build quality is very good for the price. Way cheaper than the Phase One adapters. All metal construction. slides smoothly. no jiggly play. lockable in position. markings for reference for stitching. The Focusing screen will accept the Hasselblad viewfinders. My Chimney finder fits just fine, as does the folding finder - just slides in.

I haven't tried it on camera as yet. But if the weather doesn't cooperate, I might set it up indoors and test it. It's fairly heavy, so I don't know how it will fair on my field camera (Horseman FA). I do have the bigger 4x5 rail camera (Horseman LX) which should handle the weight no problem.