PDA

View Full Version : Canham Traditional 5x7 & Horseman 120 RFH use on 4x5 Back

Dave - Landscapes
3-Dec-2009, 01:00
I'm looking at getting a Canham wood 5x7 with 4x5 back and need to use my Horseman 120 roll film holder on the 4x5. Does anyone know if this is possible?

On Keith's website he says the 5x7 back will take his 617 rfh by sliding it under the ground glass (with protector in place of course). I want to use the same approach with my Horseman on the 4x5 back.

Anyone tried this or know the answer?

Dave

R Mann
3-Dec-2009, 02:30
Yes, it will work and the Horseman back has ridges that keep the ground glass off its back so you can use it without the protector if you are careful.

Dave - Landscapes
3-Dec-2009, 05:04
Thanks for confirming what I hoped would be the case. Do you use that combination yourself? How do you find it works in the field? IMHO not having to take the ground glass off each time makes life that little bit easier.

I know in another camera system I used to have, I dropped the light meter on top of the ground glass im my backpack while I had the RFH in place. Luckily nothing broke!

Anyone else using this method for 612s with the 4x5 back on the traditional?

Dave

Phil Hudson
3-Dec-2009, 09:38
I've not tried this but it sounds interesting.

One question - how would you wind the film on? Wouldn't the g/glass obstruct the advance lever? Not a problem with the motorized Canham back but......?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Dave - Landscapes
3-Dec-2009, 14:39
Yes Phil, I think you have hit on an issue that I'd missed! Duh! :o You would have to put in the dark slide and remove the RFH and then wind on ...and then reinsert. Unless you were very sure you had nailed the shot (and didn't need to bracket etc), my idea would be a real pain in the butt.

Other RF holders that have wind on knobs may still work the way I suggested but it would depend on design and any conflicts with the placement of the spring arms etc on the ground glass backs.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Dave

Bob McCarthy
3-Dec-2009, 14:47
I'm looking at getting a Canham wood 5x7 with 4x5 back and need to use my Horseman 120 roll film holder on the 4x5. Does anyone know if this is possible?

On Keith's website he says the 5x7 back will take his 617 rfh by sliding it under the ground glass (with protector in place of course). I want to use the same approach with my Horseman on the 4x5 back.

Anyone tried this or know the answer?

Dave

I was chatting with Gemsinger, I think he's decided to sell his Canham 4x5/5x7 which is in near new condition. I think he's decided to use his Canham 8x10 with various backs.

I can vouch for it being a beautiful example. He got a whole brace of Fujis, some may be for sale.

bob

Dave - Landscapes
4-Dec-2009, 01:27
I was chatting with Gemsinger, I think he's decided to sell his Canham 4x5/5x7 which is in near new condition. I think he's decided to use his Canham 8x10 with various backs.

I can vouch for it being a beautiful example. He got a whole brace of Fujis, some may be for sale.

bob

Many thanks for the heads up Bob. I've been looking at another but could be interested once I come to grips with the 4x5 RFH issue. I may have to consider buying a different RFH instead, which of course is more expense!

Jim from Midwest is also following up on the issue with Keith C for me.

Dave