PDA

View Full Version : Opposite of Rodinal shaken to death!!

SteveKarr
1-Dec-2009, 22:53
Ok,
So if you warn-up some Rodinal and shake the Ba-Jesus out of the tray for 8 min. you get Contrast Galore.

Say you want the opposite of that... as long a tone range as you can from high contrast film ( I'm still goofing with X-Ray film you know...)

So something like Diafine comes to mind for longer tone range, but there must Surly be some secret brew.
Some form of stand?

I just need something to run 810 sheets on hangers thru ... Oh, cheap would be nice.

What do yea think?

Thanks!
Steve

sun of sand
1-Dec-2009, 23:32
Secret brew type of thing might be a glycin developer stand
I'll just leave that alone for others

Might be worth a try

csant
2-Dec-2009, 01:01
How about some staining developer? (I have not worked with Pyro, but Tanol gives beautiful smoothness and tonalities)

Clement Apffel
2-Dec-2009, 05:24
I used to use a home-made version of Kodak Technidol to get low contrast index with technical pan.

I was using phenidone alone as developer agent with an antioxidant.

As a matter of fact, for low contrast rendering, look for a developer without the traditional hydroquinone/genol or hydroquinone/phenidone couple but with Genol or phenidone alone.

And minimal agitation. but that can be tricky when it comes down to do it. It often resulted with zoning effects on my sheets.
I ended doing standard agitation. i.e. 5s every 30s (I was developping in opened trays)

Pyro developers are also known for low contrast rendering. But I never used any of them.

hope it helps.
regards,
CA

P.S. I miss technical pan ;)

Mark Sampson
2-Dec-2009, 11:39
Using a low-contrast developer on high-contrast film is a difficult path. Unevenness and streaking will usually be the problems you face. I'd try Photographer's Formulary TD-3 developer to help cope with those issues.

Glenn Thoreson
2-Dec-2009, 11:56
D-23, maybe? Cheap. Just two ingredients, Metol and sodium sulfite.

Jim Michael
2-Dec-2009, 12:03
Rodinal 1:200 (several references on this site)

Robert Hughes
2-Dec-2009, 12:11
Stirred, not shaken ...

BetterSense
2-Dec-2009, 12:46
D-23, maybe? Cheap. Just two ingredients, Metol and sodium sulfite.

D23 uses a lot of metol and metol is expensive though, so D76 etc. is actually cheaper than D23...not like any of them are expensive. You can't beat the simplicity of D23, though. I use replenished D23 with most stuff including xray film; I consider it a low-contrast developer.