PDA

View Full Version : Another G'day from Aussieland

SteveR
1-Dec-2009, 19:07
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop my head in and say 'hi', and thanks for the wonderful forums here! I've popped in here and browsed the forums on an off over the past couple of years but since my most recent projects have seen me spending more and more time with my 4x5 than any other format, I could just picture myself spending a lot more time here. So, time to get out of the shadows and sign myself up.

I'll give a brief intro, my name's Steve, I live in sunny (for this minute at least) Melbourne, in Australia. I've been here for coming on ten years now, but being born and raised a country boy I have to say the city really does drain me... as good as it is for a spot of street photography, I love nothing more than loading up the car with dog and cameras and heading bush for a month or so.

I'm looking forward very much to learning a lot from all the folks on this site, looking forward to meeting you all too!

Cheers,
Steve

Lachlan 717
2-Dec-2009, 06:30
I live in sunny (for this minute at least) Melbourne, in Australia. I've been here for coming on ten years now, but being born and raised a country boy I have to say the city really does drain me... as good as it is for a spot of street photography, I love nothing more than loading up the car with dog and cameras and heading bush for a month or so.

It's like looking into a mirror!

Welcome aboard, Steve.

Might see you out and about one day.

Lachlan

Greg Gibbons
2-Dec-2009, 07:05
Welcome!

Vick Vickery
2-Dec-2009, 07:15
Welcome to group therepy! Seems like we're gettin' quite a contengent from "Down Under"! :) ...still can't understand why the image on the groundglass down there isn't right-side-up! :):)

Lachlan 717
2-Dec-2009, 11:17
...still can't understand why the image on the groundglass down there isn't right-side-up! :):)

It has been the right way up since we went Metric in the '60s...

William McEwen
2-Dec-2009, 13:44
I expect the streets are safer than the bush. Helmut Newton writes about Australia a lot in his autobiography -- he wanted to honeymoon with June in the bush after their wedding, but June's mom was terrified of the prospect. He said everthing that moves in the Australian bush is poisonous. True?

Lachlan 717
2-Dec-2009, 14:21
I expect the streets are safer than the bush. Helmut Newton writes about Australia a lot in his autobiography -- he wanted to honeymoon with June in the bush after their wedding, but June's mom was terrified of the prospect. He said everthing that moves in the Australian bush is poisonous. True?

Pretty much.

You don't read about them too often, but the real danger in most country areas are the Dropbears.

I suspect that there is a bit of a media agreement out there that stops reporting on the somewhat frequent Dropbear attacks. I have a friend who has some police forensic photos of a Croatian backpacker who got attacked by one. None too pleasant...

kev curry
2-Dec-2009, 14:53
Skippy's best mate suffering his fate at the claws of a Dropbear!

R.I.P...

Michael Wynd
2-Dec-2009, 16:02
Geez Lachlan, you're not supposed to tell him about the dropbears until they start falling on him.
Steve, welcome to the forum. Large Format Pat has started an email notification thingy for as many Aussie LF photographers with the intent of having a print go round.
He has a thread here about it. The APUG LF photographers had a meeting in Melbourne earlier this year and we all brought our gear. A few of us actually went to the Otways and did some shooting at Yannathan Falls which is a bit of a hike with LF gear. It looks as though we're going to have to have another LF meet up.
Mike

SteveR
2-Dec-2009, 18:59
Thanks for the welcome guys, it's good too see LF alive and active down here! I got in touch with Pat, as I mentioned to him, I think something liker what he is proposing might just be the kick in the butt I need to get my printing back up to speed!

...and yes, yes it is pretty deadly out here :P

OldBikerPete
2-Dec-2009, 20:21
Welcome from another Melbournian. I shoot, develop, scan and digital print 5x4 color neg. See you around.

PS. I searched this site for Pat and didn't find him. Can sombody give me an extra clue please?

SteveR
2-Dec-2009, 21:14
PS. I searched this site for Pat and didn't find him. Can sombody give me an extra clue please?

I think his handle is actually "apt", not "pat"

OldBikerPete
3-Dec-2009, 05:12
I think his handle is actually "apt", not "pat"

Yes, I found 'largeformat apt' and all his posts but did not find any threads as described.

Lachlan 717
4-Dec-2009, 15:18
Skippy's best mate suffering his fate at the claws of a Dropbear!

R.I.P...

I really don't find these young ones as scary as their parents...

Currently sitting in Manchester, UK. The weather here makes the idea of winter in The Otways seem like paradise...

Can't wait to get home and get my hands on my new camera.

Happy to have a beer and talk some sh#t with the Melbourne crew when I get home.

Lachlan.

Kevin Parratt
5-Dec-2009, 17:20
G'day from another Aussie, stranded nearer the North Pole.

Grew up in the outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Ringwood when it was orchards, Upwey when it was still serviced by Puffing Billy from Ferntree Gully, and Warrandyte before the Yuppies moved in and started clearing the bush.

When my educated contemporaries finished Uni, they all went to Europe or the Himalayas. I stayed home, bought a Jeep (pictured here with me in 1974) and went bush. The Grampians, The Little Desert, Maree, Oodnadatta, Alice Springs and up to Darwin. My cameras were crappy, and I was for the most part focusing on survival. Later years I fell in love with the Great Dividing Ranges, studied Art at Bendigo and lived out beyond in the flat, wheat, sheep and cattle districts.

The Horn at Mt Buffalo my favourite place from whence to see the sun rise. I had only a TLR Yashica then. Next time I will be there with the Technika 4x5.

Never fussed by all those supposedly poisonous beasts, I've slept rough everywhere. Never been bitten. Have a great admiration for snakes of all kinds, and I've met many of them. Just let them go there way.

Now in Norway and England. I miss the most peaceful times and places in Australia, sitting by a camp fire, or on the veranda at sunset, listening to the Magpies and Kookaburras. I sometimes hear a Currawong in my dreams. Ohhh, and the smells of the bush.

In Melbourne it is regular visits to the Astor, a beautifully kept Art Deco cinema, and Sunday morning breakfasts with friends in Chapel street.

(Do you get the impression I'm homesick?)

Back to the Technika, I could also bring a 5x7, but I think I'd be hard pressed getting film.

Cheers, Kevin

SMBooth
5-Dec-2009, 17:49
Yes, I found 'largeformat apt' and all his posts but did not find any threads as described.

Try here Pete
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum214/68057-roll-up-roll-up-large-format-shooters-aust.html

jim kitchen
5-Dec-2009, 18:18
Dear Steve,

Welcome to the group... :)

jim k

Lachlan 717
5-Dec-2009, 20:37
(Do you get the impression I'm homesick?)

Yep, and you're kinda making me the same!

"Watching" the cricket on the computer is not the same as being there...

Lachlan

PS,

My Dad misspends his retirement working on Puffing Billy, and I misspent my youth playing footy and baseball for Upwey!

SteveR
7-Dec-2009, 17:34
Wow, sounds like there's a whole lot of homesick Aussies out there in the world! My lady is determined to get me on a plane and off of this island next year, maybe I will show her this post as a good plea in my defence of "why would you ever want to leave this place?!"

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone, looking forward to seeing you all around, in the forums and possibly in 'real' life too.

Cheers,

briand
8-Dec-2009, 21:36
Great to see we are getting a few Aussies, Welcome to the group, I live out of Mansfield Vic :D

Chris Dunham
11-Dec-2009, 07:17
G'day Steve,

Welcome from the other side of the Island (Perth).

Chris.

Lachlan 717
11-Dec-2009, 14:17
Back in Oz at midnight. What a great feeling.

Now for a steak at least 2.54mm thick, a real beer (Coopers' Sparkling, perhaps) and a wait for the 3rd Test to start.

Life is SOOOO good!

Anthony Lewis
12-Dec-2009, 03:09
Steve,

Hi from Sydney.

Love your signature, "My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am."

SteveR
14-Dec-2009, 06:37
Welcome Back Lachlan, must be great to put your feet on some real red dirt again!

Thanks Chris, I was at a family wedding over the weekend (with a sad lack of any 'real' photography, but not for lack of trying!) and talked to some folks from over your way, sounds like somewhere I will definitely have to visit one day soon.

Anthony, thanks, I like to think my dogs eyes are the best judge of character, I try to turn them on myself whenever I feel the need for a 'moral upgrade'.

Lachlan 717
14-Dec-2009, 22:24
Welcome Back Lachlan, must be great to put your feet on some real red dirt again!

Spot on!!

I like to think my dogs eyes are the best judge of character, I try to turn them on myself whenever I feel the need for a 'moral upgrade'.

Or perhaps a "Mongral upgrade" if you'll excuse the spelling...

munz6869
20-Dec-2009, 06:24
Hi Steve, from another Melburnian!

Marc