PDA

View Full Version : the Sinar e

Discoman
1-Dec-2009, 11:38
I know the e is an upgrade of one of the p series, is it p or p2? i found a place still offering the control module, the back, metering back, and standards. has anyone here used it? i know about the basic use of it, but i was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to use it. also, does anyone have a pic of it, or can describe/sketch/post the system diagram?
would it be worth it to upgrade my P2 into an e?
also, it takes a special meter back, does the e do its own metering and shutter settin, or does it take a separate shutter (expolux, mechanical, or older digital) that does not recieve commands from the e control module? if it doesn't, does it interface to the lens shutter or will it connect to and control one of the universal shutters?
any information would be appreciated, from the little i have heard it sounds like a great camera. Im fed up with manual depth of field calculations or the just a little more, oh wait too much, turn it back.
it is not autofocus, just auto sets the ideal depth of field, right?

uhner
1-Dec-2009, 15:36
Well, I have never seen one, but I have an old Sinar publication (Urs Tillmanns, Basics and applications, Creative large format, 1992) that has a short description of the Sinar e camera:

Page 23: The Sinar e features an integrated electronic computer, and in the studio offers a maximum of convenience and optimum computerised image setting. The user-friendly software guides the photographer through the shot without technical confusion. The photographer selects the perspective (camera viewpoint) and the lens, and chooses the areas in the subject that are to be shown sharp with a probe. From these scattered points the Sinar e calculates the optimum position of the plane of focus, the working aperture needed, and informs the photographer of the settings needed. The same probe is also used for the sophisticated exposure programs. The Sinar e is fully integrated in the Sinar system, and with the computer switched of can be operated like a Sinar p2.

Page 77: (regarding the Sinar e) The exhaustive menu of this computer programme naturally also incorporates exposure control, and the photographer has the options of various modes – single spot, multiple spot, contrast and information readings with single flash, multiple flash, continuous and mixed light, with reciprocity failure and correction factors.

….

An integrated electronic computer no less; the pictures in the book shows the camera hooked up to a pc. I wonder how compatible this system is with modern operating systems?

Discoman
1-Dec-2009, 22:12
thanks, that's quite useful. hmmm...i got to get some of the sinar publications, they seem to be useful if rumors are to be trusted

to quote the first part, "The Sinar e is fully integrated in the Sinar system, and with the computer switched of can be operated like a Sinar p2"

and to go from the website, they sell the control module. im guessing it works with a computer but may be capable of working on its own?

well, most pc OS are backwards compatible, it should work if it is a windows...apple isn't very good about backward compatibility.

the slightly ironical thing is that the module, front, and rear supports will total less than parts for mine to take mine to P2, my mistake, i have a C2. dislike the front support, loving the rear one :-)

Discoman
17-Mar-2011, 14:05
well, I'm a fool.
updating this old topic is much less of a waste than starting a new topic.
not only does the Pro Photo Sourcebook (out of print) go into detail about the camera, it listsed all accessories that were made.
not only that, but one recently appeared for sale via auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-E-4x5-View-Camera-Computer-P2-45-Complete-kit-Box-/110602923827
ACTUALLY, IT IS A BUT IT NOW OR MAKE AN OFFER. THIS IS NOT A BIDDABLE ITEM.
now if only i had the ability to scrounge up 5k...
for those who care or are interested, enjoy.

EdSawyer
23-Mar-2015, 12:47
Bringing this thread back from the dead... I have a friend who has a complete Sinar E system in good working order that he is looking to part with. Any ideas on ballpark value? It sounds like a pretty unique system, rare and pricey back in the day. Has it held value well? If I was more of a studio shooter I would be tempted myself. Here's a quick picture:

thanks for any input.
-Ed

fishbulb
23-Mar-2015, 14:52
The only way you'll be able to find anyone who wants to pay a lot for it is if you can find someone whose studio or laboratory workflow is completely dependent on the Sinar E system, and they want it for parts/spares/backup. You could try listing it on eBay to see if there is such a person out there. Who knows?

Another option would be - if it is possible - to remove the computer components and convert the camera into a regular Sinar P, since there is still some demand for one of those.

Otherwise, for most people that is a really antiquated piece of technology that doesn't have much usefulness for modern photography, especially for a professional studio. Not to mention that I wouldn't want to come to depend on it, since it would be very difficult to get a computer to run the software on, much less find replacement Sinar E hardware.

djdister
23-Mar-2015, 15:04
Read this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?120714-How-to-Value-LF-Equipment

8x10 user
23-Mar-2015, 15:05
I always thought the Sinar sounded fun and I hear the computer based calculations can often allow one to use the lens at stop higher then with the regular 2 point focusing system.

If its cheap I might be interested but I have concerns about the computer and software. I dont think the e is supported with the version of capture shop that I now use for my digital work. Can you tell me more about the software?

There was once a sinar e fully automated camera stand.