PDA

View Full Version : decided to experiment with filters

rhyno
30-Nov-2009, 19:16
i was at my grandmas for thanksgiving and decided to take a few pictres. i just got a 25a red filter, and combined that with a circular polarizer, push processed 1 stop and this is what i got. tell me what you think.

Mike1234
1-Dec-2009, 07:16
That's a beauty, Ryan!!

I often don't like the dramatic contrast and loss of shadow detail resulting from using a deep red filter and I think polarizers are often overdone. But you pulled it off with this one. :)

ljsegil
1-Dec-2009, 08:58
Very successful experiment, nice drama with all that filtration. Maybe it's a combination of the heavy red filtration with whatever other light may have been removed by the polarizer (did you set it for maximum polarizing effect or use it more as a neutral density filter?) gives the shot an almost infrared look. Perhaps the combination had a light transmission curve that approaches that of an IR filter. Sweet.
Larry

bobwysiwyg
1-Dec-2009, 09:19
gives the shot an almost infrared look.

My first thought on viewing it also. Nice!

Mike1234
1-Dec-2009, 09:21
Larry, I had the same initial supposition regarding the IR look. But this look is simply due to the dramatic dark sky combined with the absence of live vegetation... the dead grasses are quite light in tone. Had the grass been green and the trees full of green leaves the affect would have been different.

Bradford Armstrong
1-Dec-2009, 09:40
Nice composition and content. I like the photograph. Personally, it is a little to contrasty for my taste. My computer calibration isn't great but it also appears there is uneven burning in the sky around the hanging branch on the upper right side of the frame. I may be wrong, but I think you go back in there and fix that or just let it fall naturally in its tonality. My two cents.

Ken Lee
1-Dec-2009, 09:55
"im 20 years old and wanting to learn"

Great attitude !

"tell me what you think."

Are you looking for aesthetic critique ? (As an experiment with in technique, you proved how it works).

rhyno
2-Dec-2009, 08:04
That's a beauty, Ryan!!

I often don't like the dramatic contrast and loss of shadow detail resulting from using a deep red filter and I think polarizers are often overdone. But you pulled it off with this one. :)

thank you

Very successful experiment, nice drama with all that filtration. Maybe it's a combination of the heavy red filtration with whatever other light may have been removed by the polarizer (did you set it for maximum polarizing effect or use it more as a neutral density filter?) gives the shot an almost infrared look. Perhaps the combination had a light transmission curve that approaches that of an IR filter. Sweet.
Larry

yes i set it to maximum polarization, i wish it didnt have a filter factor because it was a 1/4 second exposure and i had to wait between wind to take the shot, that was what i thought when i first saw it, but no one else that i have shown the picture to thinks that its infrared

Nice composition and content. I like the photograph. Personally, it is a little to contrasty for my taste. My computer calibration isn't great but it also appears there is uneven burning in the sky around the hanging branch on the upper right side of the frame. I may be wrong, but I think you go back in there and fix that or just let it fall naturally in its tonality. My two cents.

i will go back later and see how it comes out, unfortunately i have work school and friends to deal with

thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts

rhyno
2-Dec-2009, 08:07
"im 20 years old and wanting to learn"

Great attitude !

"tell me what you think."

Are you looking for aesthetic critique ? (As an experiment with in technique, you proved how it works).

well technically im 21 now, im too lazy to go back and change it

and i am looking for anything to improve my picture taking skills, whether its critiquing the aesthetics, composition, processing, or what ever else might come up

Ron Marshall
2-Dec-2009, 08:49
Lovely! What film did you use?

rhyno
2-Dec-2009, 14:13
Lovely! What film did you use?

efke 100 shot at 200

Ken Lee
2-Dec-2009, 16:46
...and i am looking for anything to improve my picture taking skills, whether its critiquing the aesthetics, composition, processing, or what ever else might come up

My "critique" approach - for the 2 cents it's worth - is to ask questions. I try to treat everyone with the same respect, whether they started yesterday, or 50 years ago.

Which part(s) of the photo work(s) best - and which part(s) would you replace if you could ?