PDA

View Full Version : Wonky studio shutter?

swmcl
30-Nov-2009, 16:24
Hello all,

I must inquire of the learned community again ...

What is going on with this recently acquired studio shutter? The aperture hole is quite certainly NOT round and there are 2 pairs of leaves doubling up on each other ...

Is this normal? Have I a shutter that someone has been fooling with? Are there some leaves missing? Have some leaves been placed in incorrectly?

The stamping on the shutter says, "Wollensak Studio Shutter Style B No 1"

Rgds,

Steve

Mark Sawyer
30-Nov-2009, 18:07
Studio shutters have that saw-tooth edge by design. The rounded tips must stick into the aperture opening to act as a shutter and close completely, whereas other apertures can use the sides of the blades but cant't close all the way. (The Volute shutter is the only other shutter I know of that works like this, and it does a better job at staying round by depending more on that one "out-of-place" blade to cover the last little bit of aperture.) Yours is rounder (or at least more symmetrical) than most I've seen. Kinda funny for a shutter designed for "bokeh" lenses... For a round aperture in an early Wollensak lens, get one with a Betax, or better yet, a barrel lens with no shutter.

Tony Karnezis
30-Nov-2009, 18:19
Yours is rounder (or at least more symmetrical) than most I've seen.

I agree--my shutter has a much more irregular opening.

Louis Pacilla
30-Nov-2009, 19:32
Hi

Looks right to me. It's O. K.

Yours is rounder (or at least more symmetrical) than most I've seen. Kinda funny for a shutter designed for "bokeh" lenses... For a round aperture in an early Wollensak lens, get one with a Betax, or better yet, a barrel lens with no shutter.

You know I have an 18"Verito in Barrel & an 18"Verito in studio shutter. Maybe its time for some comparison shoot's. If I do I'll try & post the results.

Peace
Louis P

Toyon
30-Nov-2009, 20:04
Yep, you have a pretty good one.

swmcl
30-Nov-2009, 21:40
Well there you go...

It's obviously the first I've ever seen. Thanks guys.

Cheers,

Steve

Jon Wilson
3-Dec-2009, 21:19
Hello all,

I must inquire of the learned community again ...

What is going on with this recently acquired studio shutter? The aperture hole is quite certainly NOT round and there are 2 pairs of leaves doubling up on each other ...

Is this normal? Have I a shutter that someone has been fooling with? Are there some leaves missing? Have some leaves been placed in incorrectly?

The stamping on the shutter says, "Wollensak Studio Shutter Style B No 1"

Rgds,

Steve

Does anyone know which wollensak lens fit this studio shutter?

Jon