PDA

View Full Version : Verito 18" without aperture -- problem?

Dirk Rösler
30-Nov-2009, 00:30
Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a Verito at a decent price, but it has no aperture (don't know why). I know the mantra "you'd shoot it only wide open anyway", but isn't there a time where maybe you'd want to stop it down at least a 1-2 stops?

SteveKarr
30-Nov-2009, 00:38
Hi Dirk,
I have and Love my Verito, BUT it is not even useable wide open. It is SO soft. Is it in a Studio shutter, if so the f-stops are there ... If not I would not spend $20 on it. Really. I shoot my f/4 at at-Least f8. To start with.

PM me with your real email & I'll send you some tests I did today of my coffee and You'll see. It's a soft focus lens - first and for-most.

I first thought with mine, "Great an f/4! No ... it's really an f/8 or better"

Steve

Dirk Rösler
30-Nov-2009, 00:41
I think the whole shutter is gone, it is the plain lens in barrel only... thank you. I suppose one could manufacture a "permanent" aperture?

goamules
30-Nov-2009, 07:12
You can make this lens work for you. There are some who always shoot Veritos wide open, to good effect. Yes, they are quite soft at F4, but that's what the lens is made for. If you didn't know, the way the Verito works is it gets sharper as you stop it down.

If you do want it sharper, all you have to do is calculate the size of the holes and make some inserted stops. Take a look at the inside, maybe you will find a way to insert a stop made of cardboard. I like shooting my Veritos at about f5.6....

Gene McCluney
30-Nov-2009, 12:48
The Verito has either a studio shutter, or an iris built into the barrel. If you do not have an iris, then perhaps the middle part of the lens barrel is missing, which would make your lens an incomplete lens. Truly, the Verito is not at its best "wide open" in my opinion. It is so super soft there, that stopping down one or two stops makes it optimum for soft roundness of tone. The beauty of the Verito is the way you can control the relationship of soft and sharp percentages of the image by choosing the aperture.

A Verito is not like a Petzval, which retains its center sharpness wide open.

Louis Pacilla
30-Nov-2009, 13:11
Hi

Ditto,ditto,ditto if it's in barrel lens which is different from studio shutter. You could easily remove the aperture ring which will leave you w/ two slots (more than likely) tape one side up & cut some waterhouse stops really only need a couple 5.6, 8 ,11. or 4.4 4.8 5.6 & so on. But only if it is truly a Barrel & not two halves of a studio.
Peace
Louis P.

BTW- if by cheap you mean $50-150 cheap I say go man go. but again only if true Barrel.

csant
30-Nov-2009, 14:43
I can only confirm what has been said up to here - and I never managed to make anything decent at F4, way too soft. F8 at its widest! But I love the Verito, great lens!

Mark Sawyer
30-Nov-2009, 15:14
If it has a barrel, it had an aperture at some point. But if it's been stripped out, you could have a machinist cut a slot for Waterhouse stops.

I use mine at f/4, but I also use it at f/5.6 to f/11 (where the aberrations pretty much disappear). It's also quite nice down at f/32; surprisingly sharp and soooooo smooth...

Jim Graves
30-Nov-2009, 15:38
I also have a Verito and love soft focus ... but I shoot mine most at f/6, next at either f/4 or f8. I also think it makes a nice general purpose lens stopped down ... I shot all my landscape shots on a recent trip at f /22 and 32 ...very nice.

eddie
30-Nov-2009, 15:51
if you can "steal" it then buy it. i would say $300 or less......you can always tape a piece of paper with a hole cut into it to the rear element to make an iris. i realize you will get a bit of distortion as it is not at the nodal point (maybe that is the wrong word...basically not in the right spot) but i am sure it will work fine and it is SF anyway.

keep us posted.

oh! you r name needs to be galli or the like to get these babies to work really well at f4. i am verito challenged but i am working on ity. it IS possible.

eddie

Charles Hohenstein
30-Nov-2009, 16:02
Judging only by the shots I have seen on the Internet, I like the Verito better when stopped down a little. I would really love to have one.

Tony Karnezis
30-Nov-2009, 16:17
The Verito has either a studio shutter, or an iris built into the barrel. If you do not have an iris, then perhaps the middle part of the lens barrel is missing, which would make your lens an incomplete lens.

Gene, my lens has both because the studio shutter and aperture ring are one in the same. The "shutter" is not a true shutter but rather a lever that completely closes the aperture blades. Therefore, I don't think there's anything incomplete about the lens Dirk is considering.

One more thing to consider if you have enough bellows extension is it becomes a 30" lens if you use only the rear element.

http://www.cameraquest.com/LF_wollensak_verito_18.htm

Dirk Rösler
30-Nov-2009, 17:17
Thanks for all your comments.

The lens is priced at around $300 now. It has been in the shop for years with the price gradually dropping. One thing I need to check whether it is a barrel lens without iris or shutter lens without shutter part and how well it has been removed. I think it would be acceptable to use open plus one or two homemade stops, that seems how most people use it. Also I cannot remember whether it had a flange which is also a point.

Actually looking at the Cameraquest page, the lens does not look like that at all. It is much bigger and the barrel looks really old, almost brass-ish.

jnantz
30-Nov-2009, 18:17
hi dirk

veritos are nice lenses ...
it is easier to focus them stopped down a little bit
( instructions for the veritar suggest stopping down to focus it )

have fun with your soon to be new lens!
john

Louis Pacilla
30-Nov-2009, 22:16
Hi Dirk

They made that lens for many year's as well as many styles that went w/ the fashion of the day. The brass barrel veritos are much older so less are around. Just my guess.
I also would guess based on what you have said the lens your looking @ is a barrel lens.
"Actually looking at the Cameraquest page, the lens does not look like that at all. It is much bigger and the barrel looks really old, almost brass-ish."

We'll see.Keep us posted

Peace
Louis

Gene McCluney
1-Dec-2009, 00:05
Gene, my lens has both because the studio shutter and aperture ring are one in the same. The "shutter" is not a true shutter but rather a lever that completely closes the aperture blades. Therefore, I don't think there's anything incomplete about the lens Dirk is considering.

One more thing to consider if you have enough bellows extension is it becomes a 30" lens if you use only the rear element.

http://www.cameraquest.com/LF_wollensak_verito_18.htm

Well, I have a late coated by B&J 18" true barrel Verito with an iris, not a studio shutter.

numnutz
2-Dec-2009, 12:48
If there is a slot on the barrel it may use Waterhouse stops like these...

Borrowed from a previous Verito post...

nn :)

Dirk Rösler
4-Dec-2009, 02:10
I had a closer look at the lens today. It is indeed the 18" Verito Diffusion Lens. I'll post a picture of it later.

However, there are several deal breakers. For a start the price is closer to $350. Then there is no flange. The front filter ring is a little dented so who knows whether the back thread is sound. This always seems to have been a barrel lens. The aperture ring is still there and moves normally, but no iris inside. No slit for stops. One would have to cut the slit and make a flange which seems setting yourself up for some pain.

So I skipped on this one and went for a Kodak 305 instead, working shutter and mounted on a Sinar board ready to go.

Dirk Rösler
4-Dec-2009, 09:26
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/4158292608_ca7d615d8c_o.jpg

Jim Galli
4-Dec-2009, 09:54
Dirk, the apertures on some of these were made of a thin phenolic material that could bubble if the sun was left going down the throat. I had an identical Vitax with no aperture. That said the 18 Verito is really a marvelous lens. If I wanted one I wouldn't be afraid of that one. The barrel is threaded right at the aperture so inserting a donut aperture isn't out of the question, just a bit more trouble.

Tracy Storer
4-Dec-2009, 10:28
It would be pretty easy dis-assemble the aperture housing and to remove the outer ring.....when you do that, you'll be left with.....wait for it.
A slot.
There is already a slot there where the mechanical linkage (a pin or screw) connected the outer aperture adjusting ring to the moving parts inside.
You can use this same slot for waterhouse stops.

Louis Pacilla
4-Dec-2009, 10:28
Hi Dirk

I agree w/ Jim . that being said ya can't go wrong w/ the Kodak 305 Portrait lens in #5 Ilex. I love using the my 18" verito's but it is a little tricky to nail an exposure out of doors w/ modern film's & a blazing fast max apreture. you will need some ND filters & work out the bugs . don't get me wrong It's a bunch of Fun but extra work.
Again,You will have many a creative moments w/ the 305 KP & the shutter all be it only goes up to 50/10sec which is more than likely 25. but that will help. One more thing. you will also have @ your disposal flash sync. always a good thing

Have fun I,m headed out the door w/ a 14 ' verito & a 305 KP Yea ha. sun just came out & it's quit nice light.you know winter.

Peace
Louis P
BTW- if you ever want to buy a mint 18" verito let me know. It will not be $350 . this one will be a good chuck of change. It is in like new condition w/ flange & cap. The other one I will put up for sale @ one point is nice but not mint , Ex to Ex-(glass is great & has an iris, all functions as it should but is missing a flange I may have this fixed by the time it's put up for sale(the price will go up as well) . This one will be a good bit less than the mint Verito. still more than 350 though. like around 550 mark.That ain't bad really.

Louis Pacilla
4-Dec-2009, 10:35
Hi Tracy

Yea, I already mentioned that. I think Dirk bought a 305 Kodak Portrait instead of the Verito.
Hey Tracy, I wanted to thank you for getting me over to Sandy. He had his woodworkers make some beautiful 7x17 holders for my F&S camera . I don't know if you remember that I was going to buy the 2 7x17 holders you had up for auction. you directed me to Sandy & boy did it work out well:) . Thanks again.
Peace
Louis P

Dirk Rösler
4-Dec-2009, 18:00
Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, it seems doable with some effort, perhaps not excessive. It's just that I am all fired up on a new project and don't want to get distracted by lens tinkering at this point. Perhaps when it gets too cold or hot out again I may change my mind.

Looking forward to the Kodak lens, I hope it'll arrive soon.