PDA

View Full Version : What is the life span of Xtol in Powder?

Andrew ren
28-Nov-2009, 16:30
The reason I am asking is I want to add some stock as we all know that Kodak discontinued it.

I am asking that how long will the xtol stay "fresh" in its package?

Cheers

Andrew

Jan Pedersen
28-Nov-2009, 16:37
Andrew, Kodak is not discontinuing the Xtol, only the large batches. I believe the 1 gallon size will still be available so, please check the Kodak announcement again.

It is the 5L that is going to stay not a 1gallon

Andrew ren
28-Nov-2009, 16:44
Andrew, Kodak is not discontinuing the Xtol, only the large batches. I believe the 1 gallon size will still be available so, please check the Kodak announcement again.

It is the 5L that is going to stay not a 1gallon

Jan, sorry, my bad. I always get sensitive under such circumstance. yes, its the 5L package I care of.

but back to the question, will it stay fresh as long as its sealed?

Thanks

Andrew

btw, my cat's name is Xtol.

Jan Pedersen
28-Nov-2009, 16:51
Andrew, Sorry but i can't answer that question since i have not used Xtol the last few years. I do have a few 5L bags stored so i to would be interested to know how long it will last.

Allen in Montreal
28-Nov-2009, 18:44
Andrew,
While I do not use Xtol,
twice in the last 20 years I have bought huge amounts of supplies at the closing sale of local retailers. I still have loads of that stock and to date I have lost nothing. Kodak is very conservative with expiry dates and their products hold for very long periods.

venchka
28-Nov-2009, 19:26
Stored properly of course. Moisture would be the worst gremlin. Keep the bags high and dry.

5L Xtol is still available people! Amazing how these rumors become the gospel truth.

ronald moravec
4-Dec-2009, 20:38
Two years from date of manufacture. After that it mixes up fine, works for a few days and the dies really fast. Don`t ask how I know. All I feel like typing is I bought some before they were dating the packages and screwed up irreplaceable shots. One of my many calls to Kodak about this product.

My advice is buy a scale and some chems and mix D76. Ther are but 4 components.

Mytol is a home brew Xtol. I am sure there is a formula on line somewhere.

Gene McCluney
5-Dec-2009, 12:59
I believe Kodak had an issue early on with the 1 litre (or 1 quart) Xtol powder mix, that went bad, but that has long been rectified, and the 5 litre pack never had any problems, and should last quite a while as long as the package is factory sealed.

venchka
5-Dec-2009, 13:01
Two years from date of manufacture. After that it mixes up fine, works for a few days and the dies really fast. Don`t ask how I know. All I feel like typing is I bought some before they were dating the packages and screwed up irreplaceable shots. One of my many calls to Kodak about this product.

Insufficient data.

Toyon
5-Dec-2009, 18:11

Are you saying that a Kodak Technician told you this as a fact?

tgtaylor
6-Dec-2009, 11:36
A couple of years back I bought 2 5-liter packs of Xtol for $1 each from a girl living near the UCSF campus that moved to the digital side and was selling her film developing equiptment. I thought that I had used both packs when I was suprised to find one remaining when I went to mix fresh developer in September. The expiration date was one month earler in August but I expected it to be good so I mixed it and used the last of it about 2 weeks ago with no problem. I mix 5 liters at a time and store the stock in a floating lid tank that will hold 10 liters or more. I have used stock as old as 5 months with no problem.

Gene McCluney
6-Dec-2009, 12:29
I've got a 3.5 gallon deep tank with floating lid and cover lid that I mixed up Xtol in, early last spring, and with replenishment I continue to use it with excellent results. There was a period of about 4 months over the middle summer and early fall when I didn't use it at all, but it stayed good. Before starting up I replaced about 1/2 gallon of it with fresh Xtol I had already mixed up in a separate bottle in the spring. Xtol is one of those developers that is replenished with fresh developer, as opposed to "developer replenisher".