PDA

View Full Version : Pyrocat HD and 35mm film

percepts
26-Nov-2009, 15:36
Just curious as to whether Pyrocat HD is good for 35mm film or is it too grainy for enlargement to 12x8 ? Too graiany is subjective I know, but if you have tried what was your opinion at the time?

OK I know its a large format forum but sometimes some of us use smaller formats...

Ken Lee
26-Nov-2009, 16:09
According to this article entitled An Introduction to Pyro Staining Developers, With Special Attention to the Pyrocat-HD Formula (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html) on the Unblinking Eye web site...

"The result is that the stain masks film grain by filling in between silver grains, resulting in both increased acutance and finer tonality in the final print. This effect is seen in negatives of all sizes but the impact is particularly dramatic in 35mm and roll film formats."

"... tests and experiments with Pyrocat-HD have shown that it is also an excellent developer for use with 35mm and medium format films because of its high acutance and tight grain pattern."

lawrence beck
26-Nov-2009, 16:19
Thanks for your response Ken.
Do you have any idea as to whether Pyrocat HD can be used in a Jobo processor (with a film like Rollei ATP or Adox CMS 20) or would agitation be excessive at the lowest setting?

percepts
26-Nov-2009, 16:27
thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I'll give it a go at some time.

Ken Lee
26-Nov-2009, 16:28
Do you have any idea as to whether Pyrocat HD can be used in a Jobo processor (with a film like Rollei ATP or Adox CMS 20) or would agitation be excessive at the lowest setting?

Sandy King developed the formula with Rotary Processing in mind. His article (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html) tells all. :)

Henry Ambrose
26-Nov-2009, 20:43
Using Pyrocat HD, for my taste, 35mm HP5 is a bit grainy but FP4 looks great at that enlargement size.

lawrence beck
26-Nov-2009, 21:04
Thanks for the link Ken. That's great news!

percepts
27-Nov-2009, 09:40
Using Pyrocat HD, for my taste, 35mm HP5 is a bit grainy but FP4 looks great at that enlargement size.

Henry, What speed did you use with FP4 ?

I was thinking of trying with Delta 400 which is pretty fine grained to start with but may not stain as well as FP4.