PDA

View Full Version : Aristo W45 lamp, CC40Y correction?

Ginette
24-Nov-2009, 22:16
I have an old W45 Aristo grid and I wish to put a permanent correction filtration behind the 14x14 diffusion panel.

Ilford Multigrade filters correction suggestion as explained here http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006130201152306.pdf look like the CC40Y is the more appropriate but I don't find it in 20x24 sheet. Someone find this CC40Y somewhere?

Is the Rosco #3304 (CC30 Green) a good substitute ? or the combinaison of #3304(CC30 Green) + 3315 (CC15 Green) as suggested in this topic http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34603 ?
(I posted there but no one answered in the old topic.)

Ari
25-Nov-2009, 01:51
Ginette,
From what I've understood in the past, the yellow filter is the only one to use, and it works quite well. There may be other posts that say green is a decent substitute, but I don't know personally. You should be able to order a sheet from Rosco through Photoservice in Montreal (I could never find it on Ebay), or try KHB photographix in Toronto.
If you feel like replacing the lamp with a VC tube, Aristo (Voltarc) was absorbed by Light Sources, Inc. (203) 799-7877. It cost me about $200 and I had to wire the lamp myself.

ps-merci de ton offre pour le verre, je dois voir l'agrandisseur demain et je t'enverrais un message si j'en aurais besoin; c'est très gentil de votre part.:)

Allen in Montreal
25-Nov-2009, 05:25
Ari,

How long ago did you buy a replacement lamp? Was it from the new firm or just before the sale?
I have tried to buy from the new company and was told "come back in the New Year".

ic-racer
25-Nov-2009, 07:22
I just switched to a CLS Dichroic head from the Aristo, but with my Aristo 1414 with W45 I never had any problem getting all the contrast grades with a Rosco 30cc filter and the standard 6" Ilford filters under the lens.

More info on this page:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32852&page=8

Ari
25-Nov-2009, 11:09
Allen,
I bought it last winter, before the sale of the company; I was dealing with Louise Kessler. Let me know if you find out anything as I may need a 5x7 light source in the future.

Ginette
25-Nov-2009, 13:56
I just switched to a CLS Dichroic head from the Aristo, but with my Aristo 1414 with W45 I never had any problem getting all the contrast grades with a Rosco 30cc filter and the standard 6" Ilford filters under the lens.

More info on this page:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32852&page=8

You means Rosco #3304 (CC30 Green) or if you found a 30Y.
I look at the Rosco website and Lee and didn't found any reference to 30Y or 40Y, can someone point me the exact number that I have to order? Thanks

Erik Larsen
25-Nov-2009, 14:44
check out this link. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118241-REG/Rosco_RS4530__4530_Filter_Yellow.html

I think that is what you could use.
regards
Erik

Ginette
25-Nov-2009, 16:06
check out this link. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118241-REG/Rosco_RS4530__4530_Filter_Yellow.html

I think that is what you could use.
regards
Erik

Thanks a lot Erik, I really search and cannot find :o

So in Rosco brand, the product is: Rosco CalColor #4530 Filter

Specifications
Color: Yellow - 30 Density (1 Stop)
Size: 20" x 24" (51x61cm) Sheet
Transmission: 75%, -0.4s
Application: Photographic lighting filter equal to CC30Y. Enhances green and red transmission by effectively

In the description they told about four densities: 15, 30, 60 and 90, corresponding to the familiar 1/2, 1, 2 and 3 stop calibrations.

Do someone try the 30+15 to be closer to Ilford recommendations or you only use the 30Y.

Erik Larsen
25-Nov-2009, 18:07
Hi Ginette,

I have only tried the 30. I do not know how well it matches ilford's recommendations? I have printed with ilfords contrast filters with this combination (30y) and the print behaves like I would expect it to - meaning that the 00 filter is soft contrast with increasing contrast up to the 5 filter. I do not know if it is an exact match to ilfords recommendations however, but I can find a contrast filter that will work for the print. If you want a 40y gel you can get from freestyle a set of cc filters in the 6inch by 6inch size and use them below the lense. The kit contains gels in yellow, magenta, and cyan in 5,10,20,30,40,50 increments. I could not find a 40y sold by itself only the 30y. Give the 30y a try and see if it doesn't work for you.
good luck
erik

Ginette
25-Nov-2009, 18:38
Thanks for the feedback Erik.
My intention is to fit this correction filter permanently into the Aristo head, over the diffusion panel and forget about it. As it is the D1414 head, I need large filter = 14".

Erik Larsen
25-Nov-2009, 18:52
Ginette, the rosco gel that I gave the link to is a 20x24 so it should fit your head. I put my 30y gel in the head above the diffusion plate just like you want to do. Give it a try, for $6.50 you can't go wrong:)
erik

Ginette
25-Nov-2009, 19:50
Yes I will give a try for shure and maybe a 30+15 combinaison as theses filters are not expensive. Rosco list only CC 15, 30, 60 and 90.
I means I will be hard to find a 40Y in that 14" size. They probably exist in 12" as someone sold some in the SALE section.

ic-racer
26-Nov-2009, 09:25
Thanks for the feedback Erik.
My intention is to fit this correction filter permanently into the Aristo head, over the diffusion panel and forget about it. As it is the D1414 head, I need large filter = 14".

When I was doing split grade printing I had my filters mounted on a piece of plexiglass, so they could slide in and out of the 1414 drawer easily.

When I went to the MG filter set below the lens, I mounted the 4530 yellow on a piece of plexiglass an put it up in the filter holder. I also put a center filter up there to even out the illumination.

In terms of 30ccY vs 45ccY realize that the more stuff in the light path the dimmer it will be, so I'd use the least amount of extra yellow.

In my case I had the 30ccY, the 'center filter' then the under lens MG filters (with built in ND) and my printing times were pretty long. Usually around 60 to 200 seconds at f16.

(as a comparison with the CLS2000 head and light shutter closed 2/3 stop, my usual exposure is 16 seconds).

Ari
27-Nov-2009, 07:52
On page 183 of the latest B&H catalogue, Kodak lists some gel filters, among them a CC40Y, and states that they are also available in 14" x 18".
However, the price for a 4"x4" is nearly $40.00, so I don't really want to know how much they want for a larger size.

Jim Michael
27-Nov-2009, 08:12
You could use filters from a swatch book over the lens to fine tune your filtration selection. Of course if you know the color temperature you have and what you need you can do a mired calculation to get the exact value needed.

HMG
21-Aug-2016, 06:53
Yes I will give a try for shure and maybe a 30+15 combinaison as theses filters are not expensive. Rosco list only CC 15, 30, 60 and 90.
I means I will be hard to find a 40Y in that 14" size. They probably exist in 12" as someone sold some in the SALE section.

Ginette, reviving this old thread. Did you try the Rosco 30Y gel and, if so, how did it work? Did you also try the 30 +15?

I have a old Zone VI cold light head and a Beseler without a light source.

Thanks.

Mark Sampson
21-Aug-2016, 19:11
Well, here is my own experience. c.1990 I bought a Zone VI cold light (a modified Aristo). It had the W45 lamp made for graded b/w paper (the only type available then). It was fine with the graded paper I used then. When at some point I switched to variable-contrast paper, I put a CP40Y filter above the negative to compensate for the blue light. I made good prints without much difficulty. Then at some later point, I decided not to bother with the CP40Y. I found that a Kodak #1 polycontrast filter beneath the lens became my 'normal' instead of the #2. I made good prints without much difficulty. Much later I moved away from that darkroom, and began to print with an LPL enlarger that has a dichroic color head. I am making good prints without much difficulty.
So it may not be as important as it seems. Using the Z-VI, the filter grade spacing may not be perfectly even without or with the CP40Y, and the extremes of contrast may or may not be attainable, but I can think of only one negative in all the years where I could not get the contrast I liked... and that may have been only a lack of persistence on my part... or a decision that the image wasn't worth the work.
I spent enough time doing densitometry tests and engineering photography at Kodak to know the value of that work... but in the end I found a workable way to make good prints without worrying. I may rescue that enlarger and light source and put it back into action. Then i'll find out how it performs with Ilford Multicontrast Classic paper. With any luck, i'll be able to make good prints without much difficulty.

HMG
12-Dec-2016, 20:33
I finally found the Rosco 30y gel locally and did an actual test with an older Zone VI cold light head. Using Ilford VC paper and Ilford Multigrade filters, I was able to achieve (to my eye) a full range of contrast from 1 to 5.