PDA

View Full Version : How can I flip my field camera on my tripod so I can use fall?

t-dan
24-Nov-2009, 10:55
Hi.
Does anyone know if there is an attachment or mount that will allow me to flip my wista metal field camera 180 degrees thus allowing me to use the rise as fall?
Many thanks.
T-dan.

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2009, 11:25
A tripod head that will allow you to point the camera downwards.

Then tilt the front and rear standards to a vertical position.

Steve Gledhill
24-Nov-2009, 12:17
Depending on your tripod you might be able to invert the central column with the head at the bottom rather than at the top. Might be a bit of a compromise with the reduced height and tripod legs in the way - but it might work!

Donald Miller
24-Nov-2009, 12:40
You can tilt the bed of the camera downward and tilt the front and rear standards to perpendicular and achieve fall. According to the specs this camera has 15 degrees back tilt on the front standard and 18 degrees back tilt on the rear standard.

Donald Miller

percepts
24-Nov-2009, 12:43
or tilt tripod head 90deg left or right and then use front shift which should give approx 40mm of fall...

But you will need a very sturdy tripod to do this...

eddie
25-Nov-2009, 11:54
uuummm? why? just get the camera closer to the ground.....smaller tripod.

or drill a lens board with the hole way down low.

again, why?....just curious.

eddie

lenser
25-Nov-2009, 13:29
T-dan,

Level the camera, then drop the front bed and orient the lens standard to vertical =fall.

Then you've still got some rise and fall on the geared adjustment on the front standard as well.

Bruce A Cahn
25-Nov-2009, 13:37
When you do it make sure the lens is safe at that angle. Too loose a lens lock can dump the lens on the ground when you change the camera to it's side.

Peter K
25-Nov-2009, 14:12
Does anyone know if there is an attachment or mount that will allow me to flip my wista metal field camera 180 degrees thus allowing me to use the rise as fall?
Many thanks.
T-dan, there was an outrigger aviable from Linhof to mount cameras up to 4x5" so one can use rise as fall. It is a piece of cast aluminium 23cm long and 5 cm wide with a thread for the tripod at one side and a slot for the camera screw at the other side. Possible you can find a used one.

Cheers,
Peter

Diane Maher
25-Nov-2009, 19:26
If you do this, I would suggest putting the weight of the camera over a tripod leg.

venchka
25-Nov-2009, 20:43
uuummm? why? just get the camera closer to the ground.....smaller tripod.

or drill a lens board with the hole way down low.

again, why?....just curious.

eddie

Many tripods allow the center column to be inverted. I can put the rear frame of my Zone VI camera in contact with the ground. With the rise (now fall, I have both) I can then put the lens frame in contact with the ground.

Robert Hughes
27-Nov-2009, 12:41
You guys make it sound so hard! It's simple, really - just put the tripod on the ceiling!