PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Houston area

Bruce Williams
23-Nov-2009, 16:54
I, like many, have been hanging around for a while. I have an eduction in photography and spent most of my career in another field. I always wanted to re "take up photography" after I retired. I was retired against my wishes earlier this year, but I was almost there anyway. This not working thing seems to agree with me.

Soooo, its time to re take up photography. I lost all my 35mm stuff and my house in Hurricane Ike but had insurance. My policy deals with replacement cost, not film size, so the field is wide open. I have a Durst 138s in storage.

I want to shoot MF to LF. The wet darkroom will be out of commission for a while, but developing film and scanning seems very attractive in the meantime.

Good to be here, in more ways than one.

Thought on digital: Is anybody else tired of buying electronics that are obsolete before you figure out how to operate them proficiently?

Thanks

Eric Biggerstaff
23-Nov-2009, 17:48
Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum, lots of great people with great information here. Happy to have you with us and enjoy!

Yo' Vinny
23-Nov-2009, 20:25
Welcome Bruce. I'm in the Houston area as well and am dabbling in Large Format recently. Enjoy the return and I'd love to compare notes with you.

- Vince

Bill_1856
23-Nov-2009, 22:00
Thought on digital: Is anybody else tired of buying electronics that are obsolete before you figure out how to operate them proficiently?

Happily, we seem to be past that stage (at last).

Vick Vickery
23-Nov-2009, 22:21
Welcome to group therepy! Film is definately the language spoken here!! Actually most of the folks here shoot a little of everything from 35mm thru MF and LF...and, yes, even :( digital. Its all good! Now that you have time, shoot lots and have fun!

William McEwen
24-Nov-2009, 08:01
Good to have you here, Bruce. If you have plans to visit the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we'll be happy to show off our cameras and give you our biased advice!

Valerie
25-Nov-2009, 21:33
Hi Bruce (and Vinny)! There are quite a few of us in the Houston area... and we love to get together !

venchka
25-Nov-2009, 23:21
Hi Bruce (and Vinny)! There are quite a few of us in the Houston area... and we love to get together !

Yep. The Party is at Valerie's! ;)

Welcome aboard! If you're camera shopping, join us some weekend and you'll be treated to a variety of small, medium and large format cameras. Kick the tires, etc. You are correct to assume that film/scanner/inkjet printing is an acceptable way to work. Very space efficient for the space challenged. Like me right now.

Then we can party at Valerie's! ;)

She knows I'm kidding.

dsim
26-Nov-2009, 00:15
Welcome Bruce.