PDA

View Full Version : camera in vertical (portrait) position on tripod head

folsombob
22-Nov-2009, 20:05
Howdy,

I'm having difficulty securing my Crown Graphic in the vertical (portrait) position on my tripod head and keeping it from moving when I insert a film pack after I have aligned the camera and focused via ground glass.

I have a good tripod head (Markins Q-Ball M20) for my Nikon D2X that works well, but primarily because of the custom fit plate.

Would any of you have a suggestion for stabilizing my Crown Graphic -- possibly another head or a bracket?

Thanks,
folsombob

folsombob
22-Nov-2009, 20:08
One quick addition:
As you know, the Crown Graphic has but one tripod hole (thread) at the bottom, which adds to the situation.

Tracy Storer
22-Nov-2009, 20:37
Actually, Crown Graphics have a second tripod hole on the left-hand side, hidden under the leather handle...put there just for shooting verticals.
: )

folsombob
22-Nov-2009, 23:38
Actually, Crown Graphics have a second tripod hole on the left-hand side, hidden under the leather handle...put there just for shooting verticals.
: )

Hmmm. You know, I knew that, but completely forgot and overlooked it.

That having been said, any recommendations for a head or bracket?

Thanks,

folsombob

Herb Cunningham
23-Nov-2009, 08:43
You might get one of the Bogen 3047 (9047?) heads that have three handles, and use the quick release plate. You could keep the plate screwed to the camera, and use it when needed. The head is massive, and no way that will move once you tighten all three handles down. i had used it with a big Toyo 8x10 Studio camera, must have weighed 25 #, and it was solid.

folsombob
23-Nov-2009, 13:35
You might get one of the Bogen 3047 (9047?) heads that have three handles, and use the quick release plate. You could keep the plate screwed to the camera, and use it when needed. The head is massive, and no way that will move once you tighten all three handles down. i had used it with a big Toyo 8x10 Studio camera, must have weighed 25 #, and it was solid.

Thanks Herb,
My problem is not with the head, but with the camera plate: the camera swivels slightly when I shove the film pack up.

The other suggestion I heard (from Tracy) was to simply use the side tripod hole, under the handle.

However, I would like to pivot from landscape to portrait position without have to remove and reset the plate each time.

The plates for my digitals are custom made to wrap around the bottom nooks and crannies of the camera, which prevent the swiveling.

folsombob

Ron Marshall
23-Nov-2009, 13:39
Thanks Herb,
My problem is not with the head, but with the camera plate: the camera swivels slightly when I shove the film pack up.

The other suggestion I heard (from Tracy) was to simply use the side tripod hole, under the handle.

However, I would like to pivot from landscape to portrait position without have to remove and reset the plate each time.

The plates for my digitals are custom made to wrap around the bottom nooks and crannies of the camera, which prevent the swiveling.

folsombob

Either have two plates mounted or have one custom made that will allow mounting the camera in both orientations.

Bill_1856
23-Nov-2009, 14:06
You're really asking for too much. You're either going to need a big, heavy tripod/head which would support a Howitzer, or just use the damn thing mounted on its side (as Gawd intended). Personally, I find the camera easy to use that way.
The other option would be to buy a camera with reversable back (Technika, Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, etc).

Bob Salomon
23-Nov-2009, 14:37
One quick addition:
As you know, the Crown Graphic has but one tripod hole (thread) at the bottom, which adds to the situation.

The Novoflex QPL VR PRO is an Arca compatible L arm that is 7" long on one arm and 9" long on the other. That should let you switch from horizontal to vertical on any decent Arca type QR mount.

Robert Hughes
24-Nov-2009, 10:08
The other option would be to buy a camera with reversable back (Technika, Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, etc).
My Busch Pressman has the orientable back, which is handy. But I do have to remove the camera from the tripod, as the tripod head interferes with moving the back.

Tracy Storer
24-Nov-2009, 12:48
If you put one plate on the bottom of the camera, and add a second plate to the side, and tighten them properly, you can quickly switch without problems. I kept a plate on the bottom of my CG for years without it ever slipping. There is a notch on the outer tightening ring for using a screwdriver or similar as a "cheater bar" to tighten it better.

Tracy Storer
24-Nov-2009, 13:22
It is the Bogen hex-plates which have the notch I mentioned

venchka
24-Nov-2009, 13:59
Thanks Herb,

folsombob

I'm left handed, so it might be different for anyone else.

As many have said, get the QR plate tight.

I orient all of my cameras (including a Speed Graphic) so that the film holder is inserted from the top. I use one hand to open the back enough to get the film holder started. Than I support the camera from below while sliding the holder into place. Opposing forces canceling movement and all that. No wiggles.

John Powers
24-Nov-2009, 15:56
The Austrian company, Lotus View Camera, makes what they call “Vertical mounting devices for panorama cameras” http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/subs/1sub_accessories_e.html

I am thinking of making something like this for my Phillips 7x17. Perhaps something similar with appropriate changes in measurements would fit your needs.

John

Brian Stein
25-Nov-2009, 16:34
The standard markins plate for this is the p67U which has a small secondary screw to prevent rotation of the plate. I find this enough on my CG, even using a lesser head than the M20 (which I love, am saving the pennies for a Q3 to replace the cheap light benro for travel...). Otherwise its a custom lipped or ridged plate: there is fellow on ebay krosno65 who seems to knocking them up (http://cgi.ebay.com/4-QR-rail-for-Really-Right-Stuff-Arca-Kirk-Markins_W0QQitemZ330379542732QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item4cec27c0cc)--you might try him? (no personal knowledge or commission!)

salihonba
25-Nov-2009, 17:02
I'm left handed, so it might be different for anyone else.

As many have said, get the QR plate tight.

I orient all of my cameras (including a Speed Graphic) so that the film holder is inserted from the top. I use one hand to open the back enough to get the film holder started. Than I support the camera from below while sliding the holder into place. Opposing forces canceling movement and all that. No wiggles.

Find a quick plate who has a screw and a pin, for preventing camera from rotating, then drill a small hole beside the tripod socket of camera body, now your camera will not rotate any way.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gvRcWa2LHhg/SwC2t122urI/AAAAAAAADkk/6Jnt-Trrsn0/s288/PB160704.JPG