PDA

View Full Version : Loupe Fogging

rupal
22-Nov-2009, 19:32
Does any one have any problems with their loupe's fogging up ?

I find in the hot & humid weather where i live, especially after a long hike, sweating etc. that as soon as i put my head under the dark cloth & look through the loupe the glass of the loupe fogs up. I find if i hold my breath it is not as bad, but as you can imagine it is a bit hard to focus the camera while holding your breath & having to keep stop to clean the loupes lens. I use a Silvestri 6x tilting loupe without the tilting attachment.

cheers - rupa

Steve Hamley
22-Nov-2009, 19:46
If the conditions are just right - that is bad - as it is in East Tennessee in the "dog days" of summer, nothing is entirely effective. But you can use anti-fog glass cleaner, or just rub some moist gelatin soap like Neutragena on the glass, let it dry and buff it off. Works on the GG too.

Cheers, Steve

Nathan Potter
22-Nov-2009, 22:08
Well I usually don't use a loupe under the dark cloth. I use the dark cloth for viewing the image globally and do approximate focus. Then I do focus touch up without the cloth using a 5X Leitz loupe. Mostly works fine and eliminates the infrequent fogging.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

svlindbe
23-Nov-2009, 00:47
Vapour condenses on cold(er) surfaces. I often keep my loupe in my pocket in cold weather, and it helps. I haven't tried that with my ground glass, though...

Svein Lindberg, Lofoten, Northern Norway

Greg Gibbons
23-Nov-2009, 09:47
Any SCUBA diving place can sell anti-fog solution. I've never tried it on a loupe, but it's worth a try.

cowanw
23-Nov-2009, 11:26
Or antifog from your local Operating room. Mine uses golf.f (glasses or lenses fog. free)
Batrik medical manufacturing 850 Halpern Ave Dorval Quebec H9P 1G6 to keep scopes fog free inside the body.
Regards
Bill

csant
23-Nov-2009, 11:33
to keep scopes fog free inside the body.

No no, the loupe was not meant to go inside the body! :D

keith english
23-Nov-2009, 11:34
I've tried the scuba anti-fog on my glasses, both regular glasses and readers for focusing, and it hasn't helped much. Maybe its me, sweating and cool weather, but their doesn't seem to be a solution for me.

cowanw
23-Nov-2009, 17:01
No no, the loupe was not meant to go inside the body! :D

Oh, I thought we were doing close-ups:p
Regards
Bill

Joseph Dickerson
24-Nov-2009, 09:31
Rupal,

I had serious fogging problems last month at Mono Lake in the Eastern Sierra.

Later I found a product at an outdoor/camping store (REI) called "Cat Crap" (yeah, really!) that is made for skiers etc., to prevent fogging of goggles.
It actually seems to do the job but I haven't had a chance to try it in really cold conditions yet.
Cat Crap (the anti-fog, not the...well you know) is available as a paste or a spray-on liquid. They suggest applying it daily but it seems to work for several days in the cool not cold conditions in Solvang. I'll test it some more when it gets colder around here.

Joe D.

bobwysiwyg
24-Nov-2009, 09:34
I use it on a motorcycle helmet shield. It seems to work for that application.

wfwhitaker
24-Nov-2009, 11:10
I'd throw out the fogging loupe, give up the fogging hobby and go have a fogging beer.

jp
28-Nov-2009, 17:38
I'd personally try to keep the loupe warm so it doesnt create condensation.

A scuba method is to spit on it, and wipe of the spit.

Another option would be to wipe a little rainx on.