PDA

View Full Version : Fiber paper suggestions for hand coloring

vickiarizona
22-Nov-2009, 09:54
Now that Forte (Elegance) is unavailable, and Agfa and Oriental before that, in a matte surface, does anyone have a matte paper that they like and that's available for hand coloring with oils? I've tried Ilford's matte and satin surface, and Varycon, and not happy with results on either.

Toyon
22-Nov-2009, 17:30
There are several you haven't tried, including Fotokemika/Varycon, which has more "tooth" than most glossy papers, and Slavich, which boasts an "embossed" surface.

Toyon
22-Nov-2009, 17:31
Fotokemika/Varycon, which has a semi-gloss surface. Slavich, which has an "embossed" surface.

Bob Keefer
25-Nov-2009, 22:48
Since the (tragic!) disappearance of Luminos Charcoal, I've been searching for hand-coloring papers myself.

Bergger makes a fine art fiber paper that would be great, but it's pretty expensive -- and the last batch I bought was defective (the emulsion seemed to be flaking off). Bergger sent a new batch, which was also defective, and then threw in the towel and refunded my money. I haven't tried it again and probably won't.

Foma makes a decent paper, called Fomatone or something. You want the warmtone version, which has a kind of not-unpleasant greenish cast in Dektol.

Lately I've been trying Kentmere Fineprint VC FB Warm Tone, which isn't half bad. Freestyle is my favorite supplier.

Interested in other suggestions....