PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for touching negatives?

Bosaiya
21-Nov-2009, 15:44
Classic problem of two negatives touching while in the developer, front to back. The one that was touching on its back turned out okay, but the one that was touching on front of course didn't get enough developer and looks like a cigarette burn. Beautiful negative otherwise. Any hope for it?

I can't imagine there's anything I can do for it but thought I'd ask just in case.

Bruce Watson
21-Nov-2009, 15:52
Classic problem of two negatives touching while in the developer, front to back. The one that was touching on its back turned out okay, but the one that was touching on front of course didn't get enough developer and looks like a cigarette burn. Beautiful negative otherwise. Any hope for it?

Truly the only hope for it is that it didn't die in vain -- that you learned what you did wrong and corrected your workflow so you won't do it again in the future. Photography is all about learning from our mistakes, and becoming better photographers for it.

Bosaiya
21-Nov-2009, 15:58
I figured as much, thanks. Still waiting for that learning curve to flatten out a bit.

Eric Woodbury
21-Nov-2009, 16:50
Crop

Bosaiya
21-Nov-2009, 16:59
Unfortunately it's dead center and fairly large.

Robert Hughes
21-Nov-2009, 17:21
Perfect opportunity for that donut fold mounting technique I learned last year! :)

Nathan Potter
21-Nov-2009, 20:10
If it's a beautiful negative you realized the potential at the instant of capture. So process the backup you took at the time.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bosaiya
21-Nov-2009, 21:15
I did recognize the potential at the moment and felt lucky to capture it at all. In the time it took to reload the next sheet it was all over. Fortunately there were, and ever are, more moments but the ones that get away are always the most sweet.

Robert Hughes
22-Nov-2009, 07:51
Of course you took a DSLR backup of it, didn't you? :)

Otherwise, chalk it up to experience and try again later.

Bill_1856
22-Nov-2009, 08:28
If the image is there but of low density and contrast, you should be able to scan and then restore it a pixel at a time in Photoshop. Lots of tedious work, but possible if the final print is worth it.

Bosaiya
22-Nov-2009, 11:03
Of course you took a DSLR backup of it, didn't you? :)

Otherwise, chalk it up to experience and try again later.

Looked up, saw the scene, took the shot, loaded a new sheet, looked up and it was gone. Just a couple seconds in all, there wasn't time for anything more.

I don't mind experience, it's when you think you're doing everything right and something comes along and screws it up for no good reason that makes it frustrating. I make plenty of mistakes and own up to those each and every time and learn from them and then make those mistakes less frequently while moving on to newer and better mistakes - that's okay, that's how it goes. Screwy things happening for no good reason is also the way life is, that's also how it goes. Fortunately there were a few that did turn out quite well so it's not a complete loss, just frustrating.

Bosaiya
22-Nov-2009, 11:08
If the image is there but of low density and contrast, you should be able to scan and then restore it a pixel at a time in Photoshop. Lots of tedious work, but possible if the final print is worth it.

Unfortunately there isn't anything there to work with - it's clear. Looks like the negative buckled in the middle and pressed against the back of the one in front.

It's okay, not the end of the world. I figured it was lost but thought I'd see - sometimes I've scrapped things only to read about how they were actually fixable later.