PDA

View Full Version : Film washing with JOBO expert drums

abiggs
21-Jan-2002, 15:25
I recently upgraded from a Jobo CPE-2 to a CPP-2. Wow. What a difference in size and capabilities.

Anyway, for those who use the expert drums, do you use the drums to wash your fi lm? How confident are you? I would like to get away from using a lucite vertical film washer if I can, but I am concerned as to whether or not the jet tube that Jobo makes works ok. Also, how long would you suggest running the washing proce ss?

Since I bought the CPP-2 unit, a 3006 drum, a 3010 drum and other accessories us ed, no manuals were supplied with them.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

bob moulton
21-Jan-2002, 18:05
Andy, I just started using the CPA/2 drum at my work rather than a hybrid uniroller and 2500 series and an expert series. Jobo suggests than one can wash on the CPA/CPP by using ten washes each 30 seconds long, dumping and puring in new water every 30 seconds. They also suggest you use slightly more water in the rinses than in the processing. Since I use 900ml solution in processing b/w film, I cannot add much more water. But so far the negs look as good as they do when I use my vertical gravity works washer.

One problem: Determining the amount of wetting agent (photo flo) is still a problem. Filling the tank off the jobo is a possibility, but the water used is quite a bit. I am still experimenting with that, since if I must unload film and stick them in the washer for photo flo I might as well use the washer for wash and photo dlo. Hope this helps.

Bob

scott jones
21-Jan-2002, 18:26
I have stayed with my lucite washer. It is faster. 10 cycles works fine but just takes some time. The washer lets you go do something else instead of standing there loading water and dumping ten times. Also JOBO is very specific about NOT using photoflo in any of the JOBO equipment. Apparently it gunks it up after after many uses.

fishfish
21-Jan-2002, 18:41
I too wash my film out of the drums - once the fix is done, I take them out and rince them, followed by hypoclear, and then wash in my 8x10 film washer. Better safe then sorry I would say.

Sal Santamaura
21-Jan-2002, 18:50
If by "jet tube" you're referring to the Jobo Cascade film washer accessory, it can't be used with Expert Drums. According to Jobo USA, you would pressurize the drum and blow the cap off, with possibly harmful consequences.

abiggs
21-Jan-2002, 18:58
An additional comment: I have never used photoflo or any other similar product, should I think about this as an option? If I do, then I definitely will continue to use my lucite washer.

Overall, I am not too thrilled with the idea of filling the drum up with water, dumping it out, reloading, etc. etc. etc. Looks like I might continue the path that I have been on.

Andre Noble
21-Jan-2002, 23:57
Andy, I have CPP-2 also. Something to think about: You can do the 10 rinses for 1 minute each, instead of 30 seconds each. This will leave time in between changes to prepare for your next run or to clean up. You'll have less handling of your fragile negatives if you rinse film in Expert drum, as opposed to removing them to wash in another tank or something. At this stage, who wants to play with the negatives?

Photo flo or Edwal LPN is next. Clip one corner with the awesome Jobo sheet film clip, (when you get them, that is). Finally, squeegee the film: lightly sandwich 4x5 negative between photo-flo moistened index and middle fingers and then run fingers down the film. Hang to dry.

Rob Tucher
22-Jan-2002, 13:39
I don't know if this is an issue because archival stability was not mentioned above but the National Park Service/Library of Congress do not consider Jobo processing archivally stable AS JOBO RECOMMENDS IT, presumably because washing in the drum does not fully remove residual hypo from the BACK of the film adequately. Whether this is true or not I do not know. But they flatly state that Jobo does not produce archival negatives (I believe it is how you do it, not what you do it in). This is why I remove my film from my 3006 and 3010 drums after hypo clear and wash in a separate washer. It is a pain but worth it in the long run. My washer has a separte basket for holding the film that can be removed from the washer loaded, which I dunk in PhotoFlo in an old 5x7 processing tank before drying.

Stpephen Willlard
23-Jan-2002, 01:01
Andy,

I use the expert drums for process my film, and it is a lot of work doing all of those rinse steps. JOBO is got it right, it is not the agitaion that is important, but rather frequent water changes. I use the Gravity Works film washer for my 4x5 film. It can hold up to 12 sheets. It is an amazing device that removes water and dumps new water in every 30 seconds. It is lot of fun to watch. As mention above it does free you up to do other things.

From all of my testing, it does a slightly better job. Goos luck.

abiggs
23-Jan-2002, 01:06
Stephen,

I picked up a Gravity Works film washer today, the same one that you just wrote about.

Wow, what a great unit. After 5 minutes (10 washes), the washing is complete.

Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions.

Andy

echard wheeler
23-Jan-2002, 12:14
Does Gravity Works make an 8x10 washer and where's a good place to find one? I have never liked rinsing and dumping with my JOBO, either.

many thanks to all e