PDA

View Full Version : Film holders for antique cameras

alex.woronow
10-Dec-2001, 20:24
I have a chance to buy a "fully functioning" 4x5 Ica Juwel (c. 1920), but the se ller says he does not have the film holders for it. Does anyone know if there ar e holders that will work and are readily available?

Much thanks.....budding oldies buff.....Alex

Ken Woodard
10-Dec-2001, 21:56
Try trolling Google and eBay. I just picked up some nice Nagle 9 x 12 film holders on eBay. Ken

Thomas Vaehrmann
11-Dec-2001, 03:21
and don't forget that they used glass-plates at that time. So for todays sheet film you need thin plates that were insert first to fix the film in the right position. Another point of weakness is the felt strip at the slide opening.

David F. Stein
11-Dec-2001, 08:15
I believe the Juwel takes a different kind of holder (it snaps in and is released by a button for lack of a better description) versus the ridged plate holders found on the Voigtlander Avus or Zeiss Ikon Maximar, Trona and similar less expensive cameras. I would ask JC Welch at Equinox Photographic, who knows ICA pretty well.

chad krzmarzick
25-Jul-2011, 06:38
I am about to purchase a Russian FKD wooden 18x24 cm camera. There are no plate holders with the camera. Where can I get them? I have not had much luck online and the format is a bit smaller than standard 8x10 antique plate holders.

Two23
25-Jul-2011, 07:04
I've been passing on older cameras that have no holders since the time period I'm looking at (1885-1915) don't seem to have been standardized on the outside dimensions. You might have better luck with your newer model.

Kent in SD

Ole Tjugen
25-Jul-2011, 08:40
FKD cameras take FKD plate holders, I'm afraid. They seem to be reasonably standardised, at least for newer cameras. You should be able to find them on ebay, look out for ex-USSR sellers of camera equipment and drop them a line to ask.

rknewcomb
25-Jul-2011, 10:52
"I am about to purchase a Russian FKD wooden 18x24 cm camera. There are no plate holders with the camera. Where can I get them? I have not had much luck online and the format is a bit smaller than standard 8x10 antique plate holders."

Do a search on German Ebay for 18x24. Seems like I have seen some on there from time to time.

Ole Tjugen
25-Jul-2011, 12:37
German 18x24cm cameras (and holders) tend not to be FKD-compatible. The German cameras may be the original models on which the FKD's were based, but don't expect a German holder to fit an FKD camera. In fact, you shouldn't expect a German 18x24cm holder to fit any other German 18x24cm camera, either...

hoodledoodles
15-Dec-2011, 15:43
I have an FKD 13x18 and also looking for film holders - how do I find details of ex-USSR sellers who may have them to sell?
Best
Heather

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2011, 16:37
I am sorry to say that E**y is your best bet!
I have seen FKD - both 13x18 and 18x24 - on both German and Ukraine (be careful with a few of these) listings.
I can confirm from personal experience what Ole said in July. Makers of German 13x18 and 18x24 cameras made their own individual styled plate holders.
It is likely that FKD holders will have either sheaths for film mounted or were made for film originally. Their production period carried on long after WWII.

Steven Tribe
18-Dec-2011, 13:23
As a follow up to my last post, I would like to point out listing 320815750119. This shows a new 13x18 film holder for FKD. I would NOT recommend at this price, though! There are quite a lot of sellers who are completely out of touch with what people will actually pay!
The style is quite similar to the majority of later German 13x18 with overlaping catches in front and an indent at the back. There are quite a range of both 13x18 and 18x24 FKD backs at the moment. None of them (even the NOS one) appear to have film sheaths fitted!