PDA

View Full Version : Betax No.5

SAShruby
19-Nov-2009, 09:52
I'm a proud owner of betax 5 shutter (I pray to god that will work!!!). They just don't come often and I think it's a must in arsenal.
Betax No.5 (http://cgi.ebay.de/BAUSCH-LOMB-LARGE-FORMAT-CAMERA-WOLLENSAK-BETAX-NO-5_W0QQitemZ370289492665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item5636f942b9)

I have some Veritos but I was curious what other lens fits directly to this beast.
Protars? What else?

Thanks.

Mark Sawyer
19-Nov-2009, 10:09
Twelve-inch f/4.5 Velostigmats and Radar Anastigmats are the two lenses I see most often in the Betax #5. I've heard the Alphax #5 is the same size, but I don't have one, so I can't say for sure. But yes, a big shutter is a good thing to have around!

BTW, lenses in Studio Shutters won't switch to a Betax. The Studio Shutter has male threads, the Betax has female threads.

Toyon
19-Nov-2009, 12:10
There are lots of other, wonderful Wollensak Lenses that fit directly into Betax 5s. Voltas, Varium, Veritar, Vesta and the various other iterations of the Velostigmat (series 1, 1a, III, VI etc.).

Daniel_Buck
19-Nov-2009, 12:47
I use my 12" Gundlach Radar f4.5 in the betax #5 for 8x10, I believe it fits natively, no modifications. I also rubber-band a few of my smaller barrel lenses onto the front of the shutter, that works pretty good, even if it doesn't look to pretty :D

goamules
19-Nov-2009, 14:36
OK, you Wollesak pro's, here's a related question. What lenses go in an Wolly Autex shutter? I've got a nice working one, but no size is indicated. It's close but no banana to the verito that's in my Betax 4. It's a shame to not use such a nice old shutter. It has F4.5 on the scale...

Darren Kruger
19-Nov-2009, 14:54
There's more than one size for an Autex shutter. I have one that's takes 30mm cells and has a Gundlach 5x7 RR triple convertible and another Autex that takes 59mm cells and has a unmarked symmetrical lens.

-Darren

BradS
19-Nov-2009, 16:52
I have a 12 inch Goerz Celor in a Betax #5. Nice lens and bullet proof shutter.

SAShruby
20-Nov-2009, 14:01
Hmm, I thought I could mount more lenses...
Anyhow, if I wanted to mount via SK Grimes, what should I mount there?

Toyon
20-Nov-2009, 14:05
Hmm, I thought I could mount more lenses...
Anyhow, if I wanted to mount via SK Grimes, what should I mount there?

What do you have that needs mounting? Obviously a very long or very fast lens would be the best fit. If it were mine, I would mount a portrait lens to it (Petzval, fast tessar or soft-focus).

SAShruby
20-Nov-2009, 17:08
What do you have that needs mounting? Obviously a very long or very fast lens would be the best fit. If it were mine, I would mount a portrait lens to it (Petzval, fast tessar or soft-focus).

Thanks Toyon, I was thinking the same but I wasn't sure if it would sound too weird or not. I have a beautiful Petzval lens, Veritos, Heliars and I'm aiming for some Cookies.

Jon Wilson
26-Nov-2009, 13:40
Twelve-inch f/4.5 Velostigmats and Radar Anastigmats are the two lenses I see most often in the Betax #5. I've heard the Alphax #5 is the same size, but I don't have one, so I can't say for sure. But yes, a big shutter is a good thing to have around!

BTW, lenses in Studio Shutters won't switch to a Betax. The Studio Shutter has male threads, the Betax has female threads.

I checked my 305mm Radar which is in a Betax #5 shutter and my Alphax #5 shutter and they both have the same diameters for the cells. The cells from the 12 inch Radar will fit into the Aphax #5, but he rear cell is longer and would need the extender ring (for lack of a better descriptive term) for my Radar's rear cell to actually properly seat into the rear of the Aphax #5 shutter.

BTW, both of these shutters will accept the Wollensak 9 inch (229mm) f5.6 Raptar Copy Lens and the Wollensak 11 7/8 inch (302mm) f4.5 Raptar cells.

Hope this sheds some light for these shutters and perhaps these lens.

Jon