PDA

View Full Version : New Grandagon 90 from KEH

snommisbor
19-Nov-2009, 08:14
I just got in my Grandagon 90mm 6.8 from KEH and it is a beauty. They rated it "EX" but I can't tell what it is that they are saying would be a flaw. Very happy with what I got. Now just need to put it on my lensboard and get out and shoot.

After reading many post on here about this lens I decided to go with it for my wide angle. Here is a pic of it. Serial # is 11527XXX which from what I could find puts it a a MFG date of around 1999-2000.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/snommisbor/IMG_0437.jpg

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Nov-2009, 10:59
Good for you! That is my most used lens (of my seven) and is used on more than half of my images. I love it.

Robert Ley
19-Nov-2009, 11:09
I have had the same experience with KEH. They are extremely conservative in rating their used equipment. I have gotten bargain rated that I would rate excellent or better and there prices are very good too. I also have one of these lenses, but mine is in not nearly as good a shape as yours. BTW if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for that very nice looking lens?

Regards,
Robert

venchka
19-Nov-2009, 11:14
I'll be right over to help you check it out. If it's on a Linhof Technika board, so much the better!

Enjoy!

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2009, 11:30
KEH has several Rodenstock f6.8 90 Grandagons, in Ex condition, listed for $465.

Depending on age and condition, they also have a few f6.8 90 Grandagons priced lower than $465.

I recently sold my Caltar version of that lens to a friend for $350.

Steve Wright
19-Nov-2009, 12:07
I was just looking at the KEH bulletin and drooling over those Grandagons! Looks like there is one less now!!! My Caltar 90 just doesn't have quite the coverage I need for architecture shots. Wonder if they'd take a trade....
Steve

Gem Singer
19-Nov-2009, 12:30
Steve,

KEH does take trades. However, from experience, they buy low and try to sell high. Presently, KEH is over stocked. Hence the price reductions.

Good time to buy.

It's probably better to sell your lens on this forum, or eBay, then purchase one from KEH.

snommisbor
19-Nov-2009, 12:41
Robert, I paid $499 for the green striped version. I think it was the only one they had of it. But the MC ones are $465 but I figured why not get a newer one for $30 more.

John NYC
19-Nov-2009, 17:27
I was just looking at the KEH bulletin and drooling over those Grandagons! Looks like there is one less now!!! My Caltar 90 just doesn't have quite the coverage I need for architecture shots. Wonder if they'd take a trade....
Steve

Isn't the Caltar II-N 90mm 6.8 the same lens as the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm 6.8?

venchka
19-Nov-2009, 20:01
Perhaps. KEH has one. Same price as the Rodenstocks. And no green stripe.

Frank Bunnik
20-Nov-2009, 07:55
The Caltar is indeed the same as the Rodenstock.

Keh is great, my bargain Crown Graphic arrived yesterday. Excellent 4x5 camera in fine condition for little money.

Songyun
20-Nov-2009, 08:19
I just have one complain about KEH, basically call them is useless, because all the gears are in the warehouse, if you have any questions about some gear, don't expect any answer. But then their return policy is quite good, so sometimes you just have to guess a little bit especially with no photos on some items.

venchka
20-Nov-2009, 08:29
I don't know if they will still do it, but they would get a particular item from inventory and go over it with you on the phone. Naturally, this required two phone calls and some time between calls.

David Karp
20-Nov-2009, 09:04
I have had the same experience as Wayne. The salespersons ordered the item up from the warehouse, and when it arrived they described it to me in detail and answered all of my questions. In my experience the only better store to buy used equipment is Midwest Photo Exchange.

Sean Galbraith
20-Nov-2009, 09:44
What does the green stripe on the lens represent?

venchka
20-Nov-2009, 09:46
Cool. :cool:

Like the red stripe on Kevin's 135mm lens that he bought here. :cool:

snommisbor
20-Nov-2009, 11:14
I think the green stripe is just the way you can tell what kind of lens it is i.e. Grandagon. A green stripe lens would make it a newer lens but it is not any better then a earlier MC Grandagon that doesnt have a green stripe.

Bob Salomon
20-Nov-2009, 12:10
What does the green stripe on the lens represent?

Green are Grandagon N MC and Apo Grandagon MC lenses.
Red are Apo Sironar S lenses.
Silver were Apo Sironar N lenses.
Yellow were Apo Sironar W lenses.
Blue were Apo Ronar lenses.
Gold are Apo Sironar Macro and the older Macro Sironar lenses.
Magenta are Apo Sironar Digital, Apo Sironar Digital HR, HR Digaron S, HR Digaron W and the Apo Macro Sironar Digital lenses.

John NYC
21-Nov-2009, 03:57
Perhaps. KEH has one. Same price as the Rodenstocks. And no green stripe.

New Caltars have the green stripe.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CL2901/

Songyun
21-Nov-2009, 08:47
I have had the same experience as Wayne. The salespersons ordered the item up from the warehouse, and when it arrived they described it to me in detail and answered all of my questions. In my experience the only better store to buy used equipment is Midwest Photo Exchange.

Oh, they do that? I will cetainly call them twice next time.
Yeah MPEX is the best place for used LF stuff, I think I am spoiled for living in Columbus for quite a few years.

David Karp
21-Nov-2009, 09:39
Songyun,

If I lived in Columbus, I think that MPEX would start charging me rent!

I agree that MPEX is the best. The KEH people are usually helpful, but not likely to know a lot about LF. Several times, Jim has talked me out of something that I thought I wanted. In retrospect, he has always been right, and I ended up with something more appropriate for me, usually purchased from MPEX, but never at the time when Jim talked me out of what I thought I wanted.

venchka
21-Nov-2009, 20:36
Alas, I didn't know about Midwest when my daughter lived in Columbus.

gnuyork
18-Feb-2010, 08:41
I just got the same lens in EX+ condition for what I think to be a great price. And I also did find it to be surprisingly big. I am used to my Kodak Ektar 203mm which is quitr small in comparison.

I can't wait to go out an use it. It will be a little while before I can though.