PDA

View Full Version : T-Max RS dilution??

artflic
18-Nov-2009, 13:37
I haven't used T-Max RS for a while, but am about to mix some up. I bought the ten gallon pack, with two one gallon jugs of developer and two packets. Each makes five gallons for a total of ten gallons for the pack. However, Kodak does not note on the box (no instructions inside) if this is a working solution or if it has to be diluted. Anyone have an answer? If it is a stock solution and needs dilution, what is the ratio? I will be processing 4 x 5 T-Max 100. Thanks, Rob

Heroique
18-Nov-2009, 14:32
TMax100 w/ TMax RS is a splendid combination ― one of my favorites.

Some people make use of the TMax RS replenishment process.

Others (I’d say the majority) use TMax RS as a one-shot developer.

In any case, I’m not sure just how many TMax100 4x5’s you’re ready to develop, but it may be wise to prepare just one 5-gallon amount at a time. (And if you don’t anticipate developing too much film, you might consider getting the smaller, 1-gallon supply instead.)

Your five gallons of stock solution is simply A+B & 1:9. The key thing to remember is that this stock solution is ALSO your working solution. (But with practice, you can dilute this beyond 1:9 and add development time for compensation effects, etc.)

However, what makes Tmax RS developer special is that this 1:9 solution can also serve as your replenisher, if you choose to use it this way:

For simplicity, let’s say you’re using your 1:9 stock solution as your 1:9 working solution. After you develop one 8x10 sheet (or the equivalent of four 4x5 sheets, or one roll of 135-36), you simply add merely 1.5 ounces of (new) 1:9 stock solution to your (used) 1:9 working solution, and presto, your working solution is full strength again.

An example ― You might consider dividing your 5 gallons into two 2.5 gallon containers. Container #1 holds “working” solution; Container #2 holds “replenisher” solution. After you develop your film (with working solution pulled from container #1), add to it the correct amount of replenisher solution (pulled from container #2). Now you have revitalized working solution and can put it back into container #1 as if it’s new. It will go a long, long way. Good for the environment.

*** Alternatively, a "one-shot use" idea is to simply mix A+B, and that's your stock solution. When you're ready to develop film in one-shot fashion, mix it 1:9 for your working solution, use it, toss it. Very simple, even if you're not being as kind to the environment.

artflic
18-Nov-2009, 15:24
Thanks, I have used T-Max RS many, many times in the past, but wanted to double check since I have not used it recently. I had to close up my darkroom almost three years ago in anticipation of a move. We rented for nearly a year as our new house was being built and I just got my new darkroom finished and ready to go. I have about 200 sheets of 4 x 5 I shot recently in the parks in Utah and didn't want to start off by losing any. I also shot a few test sheets this afternoon in my back yard to check times and temps. I shall get to mixing. Regards, Rob

Heroique
18-Nov-2009, 15:47
I have about 200 sheets of 4 x 5 I shot recently.

Now that's a lot of time for the darkroom! Come back and show us some images if you can.

A sheet of well-exposed & properly developed TMax-100 scans beautifully.

artflic
19-Nov-2009, 11:57
I am sure it does, but I will be printing traditional darkroom style with my Beseler 45V XL. T-Max 100 film and T-Max Developer have been my first choice for years. I know that sooner or later I have to get a scanner and digital printer (I do use a Nikon D700) for many work related projects in publishing, but for my fine art I still like to play with the darkroom. Anyone have a good suggestion for a scanner to handle medium format and 4 x 5 (with an occasional role of 35mm thrown in? I had planned to do darkroom work last night but the flu has me, so I have to hold on for several days. Thanks, Rob

Alan Butcher
19-Nov-2009, 12:29
I haven't used T-Max RS for a while, but am about to mix some up. I bought the ten gallon pack, with two one gallon jugs of developer and two packets. Each makes five gallons for a total of ten gallons for the pack. However, Kodak does not note on the box (no instructions inside) if this is a working solution or if it has to be diluted. Anyone have an answer? If it is a stock solution and needs dilution, what is the ratio? I will be processing 4 x 5 T-Max 100. Thanks, Rob

Each of the five gallons is the 1:4 working solution(dilution) . If you want the 1:9 dilution you mix equal parts of the 1:4 dilution with water, for ten gallons of 1:9 dilution.
Kodak Tech Pub F4016 has starting times for development.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/f4016/f4016.pdf

Heroique
20-Nov-2009, 18:23
Anyone have a good suggestion for a scanner to handle medium format and 4 x 5 (with an occasional role of 35mm thrown in)?

Rob, check this current and ongoing Thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=55459) about scanners to help answer your question.

It might be better than asking in a thread about TMax RS.

Remember also to search the forum; yours is a popular concern!

(Thanks for the clarification, Alan.)