PDA

View Full Version : Cambo wide DS flare

jan staller
18-Nov-2009, 11:14
I have been experiencing intermittent flare using my Cambo Wide DS. This happened for the first time when usinga 150mm lens and lateral shifts. I found that I needed to carefully shade the lens, and lessen the shifts. Photographing a dark subject in a landscape on a completely overcast day with using the 72mm XL with a center filter last week brought more flare- the first that I knew of with this lens combo. On a reshoot I fitted a Lee Compendium shade and had the same results. I have taken care when using the 150mm lens to avoid flare, but I was really surprised to find the flare again using the 72mm lens. I also did not see the flare when looking at Polaroid or Fuji tests, before exposing film. Most times I use a horseman 6x12 back but other times I used 4x5 as can be seen int he example. The problem seems to be caused by reflections inside of the camera. The camera interior is shiny black anodized aluminum. At one point I painted some of the surfaces with flat black model paint, but the paint flaked off. And I am reluctant to paint the sliding surfaces of the camera since these contact the light traps. This is an early Cambo wide DS, and I'm waiting to hear from Cambo tech if the finish inside the camera has changed. The flare in the image was circled. Any suggestions of what to do? Thanks.

Jan S.