PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Urgent: Two sizes of Copal 3 for Nikkor/Docter?

r.e.
17-Nov-2009, 08:18
I'm in New York where Lens and Repro is drilling two lens boards for me to copal 3. The store just phoned to say that the size of the hole will depend on the shutter - as they put it, whether it is mounted with a flange or double ring.

I don't have the lenses here. One of them is in the mail. Does anyone know how the factory-mounted shutters are mounted for/size of copal 3 hole for:

Nikkor W 360mm
Docter Tessar 210mm?

Of course, this assumes that there was a standard mount for these.

Sorry if this sounds vague. I haven't run into this before. There is no such issue with the copal 0 board that they are drilling for me.

I need to get this information to Lens and Repro by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks.

Steve Hamley
17-Nov-2009, 08:32
The first think you have to know is if you have a flange or the standard Copal 3 mounting hardware.

If it's a flange, the L&R will know what size hole to drill because they'll have to have the flange to mount it to the board - a flange is screwed to the board.

If it's standard Copal 3 retaining rings:

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/shutmt/index.htm

Cheers, Steve

r.e.
17-Nov-2009, 08:40
Thanks Steve, that helps clarify things.

Both of these lenses came with factory-mounted shutters. Does anyone know whether there was a standard for the factory mounts for these lenses - flange or rings.

From memory, I think that the Nikkor is rings. I don't know about the Docter.

r.e.
17-Nov-2009, 08:52
The result of a further discussion with Lens and Repro is that the mount may depend on when the lens was made. Looks like I have to have the lenses in hand to answer their question, and that if it's flange-mounted, it's best, as Steve suggests, to give them the lens for mounting.

Michael Jones
17-Nov-2009, 09:42
The result of a further discussion with Lens and Repro is that the mount may depend on when the lens was made. Looks like I have to have the lenses in hand to answer their question, and that if it's flange-mounted, it's best, as Steve suggests, to give them the lens for mounting.

There are at least two different sizes for the mounts of Copal 3 (notwithstanding the Copal 3S). The smaller/earlier (only by a couple of mm) is about 63mm if I recall correctly and the current is about 65mm. I have 2 identical Fuji lenses that are not more than 100 digits apart in serial numbers; both have flanges, but one needs the 63mm mount and the other the 65. Go figure. I guess it was "use whatever is in the parts bin" that day.

This is a longwinded way of stating that unless you know exactly what size is required, send the lens. Good luck.

Mike