PDA

View Full Version : Best flashlight?

mdd99
16-Nov-2009, 17:42
My small, light, bright flashlight of many years died and I'm looking for a replacement. I see there are small LED flashlights now--any good? Maglites seem heavy. What's your favorite portable flashlight for reading f/stops in dim light?

Richard Wasserman
16-Nov-2009, 17:58
I have a tiny LED light on my key chain. I don't know where I got it and I'm sure it didn't cost more than a couple dollars or so. It's surprisingly bright and takes up no space.

Eric Woodbury
16-Nov-2009, 18:12
I have a single AAA cell Dorcy in my pocket. Never fails me (yet). And in my camera bag, I carry a small mini-Mag AAA for focus, f/numbers, and hiking back to the car in the dark. My Pocket Spot light meter gives off enough light to read f/numbers or as something to focus on in a dark scene, but not to find the car.

Jack Dahlgren
16-Nov-2009, 18:15
Almost all the small and light flashlights use LED's nowadays and they are better in almost every way except light spectrum.
I use a red LED bike taillight for night photography because it is easier on the eyes. It weighs about an ounce and I can use it on my bike.

Juergen Sattler
16-Nov-2009, 18:56
Take a look at the Coleman flashlights. I bought one at Walmart with three different light colors - regular white (very, very bright) red and blue. I use the red for operating the camera and white to pint with light. It is small enough that it fits in any pocket.

Steve Hamley
16-Nov-2009, 19:15
I like the lights at photonlight.com. I use the Micro Lights, and this last weekend, the Freedom with the clip for a ball cap was all I needed around the camp and to set up a camera in pre-dawn hours. These are great lights.

This one looks nice and has a red LED to preserve night vision, but is quite pricey:

http://www.photonlight.com/Proton-PRO-AA-Handheld-LED-Flashlights-Headlamps-p/prpro-aa-led-flashlight.htm

I'd really like to have one, but the price is high - but a 2-watt LED will put out all the light you'll ever need.

The spec sheet at the manufacturer's site is better:

http://www.laughingrabbitinc.com/p_proton_pro.htm

And you have to love "Laughing Rabbit, Inc."

Cheers, Steve

J Ney
16-Nov-2009, 20:28
I'm all about the Streamlight Scorpion. The thing is bright as can be and very compact and light. Can be a bit pricey but it will last for a lifetime.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=34

Eric Leppanen
16-Nov-2009, 20:31
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2009-06-blog.html#_20090629Flashlights

Don Hutton
16-Nov-2009, 21:32
I'm all about the Streamlight Scorpion. The thing is bright as can be and very compact and light. Can be a bit pricey but it will last for a lifetime.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=34fantastic flashlight - usually cheapest at Botach - http://www.botachtactical.com/stscfl.html You can usually pick up the CR123s for about $1 each.

Darren Kruger
16-Nov-2009, 21:45
I just use cheap ones. I was using some keychain single LED/laser pointer combo's for around $1 each shipped. Then I got a free 9 LED flashlight from Harbor Freight with a coupon and I'm liking it a bunch, especially the price.

-Darren

George Stewart
16-Nov-2009, 21:55
Surefire Saint Minimus or Surefire's U2 Ultra.

Dave Jeffery
17-Nov-2009, 05:17
I gave up using little flashlights for small head lamps for hands free use. The Black Diamond brand are small and light and run on 2 AAA batteries for about $30 U.S. My mini mag lights etc. never get used now.

Greg Lockrey
17-Nov-2009, 06:05
The absolute best are Fenix, https://www.fenix-store.com/ I happen to have the PD20. Built like a tank and is easy on the batteries with more power than you need. Has four brightness ranges. I have mine on a small camera lanyard hanging on my neck all the time under my shirt. Handy as h___.

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2009, 06:06
The new LED ones are a vast improvement over the old bulbs, and a small AA size does the job of an old D-cell style. However the 4 D-cell Maglite still makes a great weapon to club the bad guys with.

Greg Lockrey
17-Nov-2009, 06:27
. However the 4 D-cell Maglite still makes a great weapon to club the bad guys with.

A Master Lock tied to a RR handkerchief with the enough hangng out of your back pocket is a very effective weapon and it's lighter to carry too. ;)

Don Hutton
17-Nov-2009, 07:45
However the 4 D-cell Maglite still makes a great weapon to club the bad guys with.The 6-D cell is even better. In Detroit, they still them a "Malice Green", not a maglite...

Robert Fisher
17-Nov-2009, 08:36
My Surefire 10X Dominator will vaporize paint 100' away - YIKES!!!!!!!!!

BetterSense
17-Nov-2009, 09:47
I carry a Fenix L1P every day. I bored it out so now it can take either a CR123 lithium or a AA battery. It has been going for years now and was worth every penny.

Alan Rabe
17-Nov-2009, 10:28
I use an Everready headlamp. Has two spots, two floods and two red leds. Works great.

Michael Kadillak
17-Nov-2009, 11:29
I went to a large vendor and tried just at least 10 flashlights. Hands down the new Pelican LED flashlights are head and shoulders above any competitor as it relates to raw luminance. The differences are absolutely stunning. I acquired a head/cap lamp ($25)and a hand flashlight ($115) and everyone I demonstrate them to is similarly impressed. They have a web site and the lumens they advertise are real. The light is as white and clear and daylight. The technology that they have built into these units are over the top and I can get 10 hours of burn time on the rechargable batteries on the hand flashlight. Over the years I have used just about every flashlight imaginable and gave them all to the Goodwill.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.

pocketfulladoubles
17-Nov-2009, 11:33
The absolute best are Fenix, https://www.fenix-store.com/ I happen to have the PD20. Built like a tank and is easy on the batteries with more power than you need. Has four brightness ranges. I have mine on a small camera lanyard hanging on my neck all the time under my shirt. Handy as h___.

Yes, absolutely no question. If you want the best, you want the Fenix - one with the Cree XR-E. Cree has an XP-G LED coming out, but I don't think Fenix has a lamp with one yet. At any rate, some of these are already absolutely blinding at a couple hundred meters.

Frank Petronio
17-Nov-2009, 20:32
Not only that, you can use them to shoot with! Nicer than on camera flash ;-)

Terence McDonagh
17-Nov-2009, 22:29
Surefire. Everything else is second best.

QT Luong
17-Nov-2009, 23:18
So how do you quantify best ? Luminance to weight ratio + construction quality ?

ki6mf
18-Nov-2009, 15:55
I like the type of pen light which has a circle of metal around the bulb this throws all the light towards the direction you are pointing.

Terence McDonagh
19-Nov-2009, 06:14
So how do you quantify best ? Luminance to weight ratio + construction quality ?

Construction quality for me. They're slightly heavier for a given application, but I've used mine to break handholds/footholds in ice, and I've dropped mine down countless rock slopes, all without more than a few scratches.

I will agree with the poster above who pushes for headlamps. For long night treks, my Black Diamond headlamp with the separate battery pack allows me to hike all night through forest. My Petzl Tikka is just about right for everything else. Black Diamond Ions reside in my emergency kit and almost every pack I own as back-ups to the others.

But some times a headlamp just doesn't cut it. A good, powerful flashlight can put out a lot more lumens.

pocketfulladoubles
19-Nov-2009, 10:33

Durability of body, water resistance, energy efficiency, beam throw and shape, etc. Overall, if I could only take one lamp and my life depended on it, I'd trust the Fenix.

Toyon
19-Nov-2009, 16:46
You might find an LED flashlight too bright. I'll assume you don't need a lot of power to look at an aperture scale. I would look for a cheap battery penlight at a dollar store. Using an LED would be like bringing a firehose to a plant watering (unless it is variable power).

Toyon
19-Nov-2009, 16:47

Out zombie shooting again?

Dave Jeffery
20-Nov-2009, 11:34
"Black Diamond Ions reside in my emergency kit and almost every pack I own as back-ups to the others."

Mine as well.

"But some times a headlamp just doesn't cut it. A good, powerful flashlight can put out a lot more lumens."

I totally agree

Perhaps the headlamp is perfect for the lens settings as it offers hands free use and it's no too bright requiring the eyes to re-adjust in low light, and a powerful flashlight might also be good to have for illuminating something in a dark scene to focus on as well as for hiking.

Having both is probably good.

Aahx
20-Nov-2009, 11:48

Hehe.. that's too funny, I just bought several flashlights to do just that, illuminate my subjects. As I am doing a lecture (at a local photo club) on Painting with light in early December I am putting together examples to show the group different ways of doing it. Using color correction filters over the lights as well as showing the different colors of the lights themselves as LED's are cooler temps than Xenon or incandescent, etc.

Anyway.. of the Pelican's and Maglights I purchased my 3 D cell LED Maglight is by far the brightest. The two Pelicans are smaller and easyer to carry though (both use 2 C cells). It realy comes down to trying differnt ones out and seeing what best fits your personal use though. For lighting my way to my Grill at -15F to cook my steaks I use the 2 C cell krypton bulb Pelican as it's easyer to manage and has a nice broad beam. For looking at my camera gear in the dark I prefer the mini maglight in belt holster. For painting subjects with light it all depends on subject size, distance, etc. For emergencys with my vehicle I prefer the big Mag light for maxium light to determine the problem. Or to let other drivers know I am there so they don't run over me. So use, conditions, etc.. are all variables one has to figure out for themselves to get the "best" light.

mdd99
23-Nov-2009, 17:13
Every one of these responses is, uh, illuminating. I do like the idea of the "hands-free" headlamp, plus something brighter for finding my way back to civilization.

Sean Galbraith
23-Nov-2009, 18:49
This is what I use in the darkest of abandonments:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16092

It is the brightest I've used outside of something attached to a car battery.

eshotwell
1-Feb-2010, 13:53
I know this is an old post, but I just couldn't resist putting in a plug for my Fenix TK40. At 630 amazing lumens and just $158.00 it just blows the doors off everything else. Attached is a photo that I took for a local funeral home using the TK40 as the primary light. Approx 30 second exposure while painting with the flashlight. The amazing thing is that parts of this house were at least 200 ft from the camera.

Ed Shotwell

PS: This is my 4th Fenix light. They last forever, but I am a sucker for "more power"!

Lightbender
9-Feb-2010, 00:12
I have a black aluminum Dorcy that I picked up at a discount store. It takes 2 AA's and has a single high-output LED that emits a nice brilliant white beam.
It is blindingly bright.. and after using it fairly regularly over the past year i have yet to change the batteries. Best $10 I ever spent. Probably almost as good as the expensive models mentioned.

Those LED's are truely amazing in respect to those lousy C-cell flashlights I had as a kid that you could barely read by and browned out after an hour or so.

I also have a little AAA size light. Not nearly as bright but lighter and easier to read camera stuff with.

I've been looking for a good cap-mounted light if anyone can reccomend one.

One last word of advice.. if you have a bright light like mine, DO NOT use it to inspect the interior of a mirror-lens. (not that IVE done anything like that before ;)

Lightbender
9-Feb-2010, 00:44
just an update: the Dorcy flashlight i have is only rated at 45 lumens. Those others must be crazy-blinding heavens-gate-opening bright.
Some do have a variable-power which i think would be neccesary.
Question for those owners of the fenix and similar.. do you have to cycle through all the bright settings to turn it off?

Lightbender
9-Feb-2010, 00:51
Ed: great shot!@
Sean: if your still reading this.. is that flashlight pretty durable? It looks like all the stuff sold on that website is imitation junk. While it may be bright i wonder if it stacks up against more expensive models.

Frank Petronio
9-Feb-2010, 09:18
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/katie_012710_172.jpg

Unfortunately I investigated flashlights last month.... The newer tiny LEDs with a single 123 Li battery are pretty great. I have two Romisen RC-C6 lights because they can go flood to spot. Under $20 and hard to fault. Bought a bunch of 123 batteries on eBay for peanuts... nice cause they fit my three Olympus Stylii P&S cameras too. I can actually shoot with them as fill or spot lights.

I haven't succumbed to "Every Day Carry" (or EDC) like the people on the forums but maybe if I had a Surefire I would. The light is the same but like a Leica, they are great to fondle. There are $400 custom Ti homebuilts that are pretty fine too.

My Maglites and cheap plastic incandescents are all buried in drawers....

Roger Thoms
9-Feb-2010, 09:37
I like the Mini MagLites, I have two in my camera bag. One two cell AA and one two AAA. I also have have a two cell AA with the red filter for the darkroom. Good company, still producing their flashlight in the US, plus lifetime warranty. I just sent one of my older flashlights from my tool bag back because it developed an open. No doubt they will return it working for no charge.

Roger

Matus Kalisky
12-Feb-2010, 05:57
I have a head light from Petzl - it has 4 leds and one halogen lamp I like very much (I got it like 2 years ago - would not by one with the halogen anymore - todays LEDS are stronger). It is not the smallest - it takes 4 AA batteries (located on the band on the scruff so it balances the reflector in front) what makes it last forever. Since I was camping on New Zealand I would not change it for anything. I love to have free hands AND the light at the same time.

jomaset
12-Feb-2010, 11:28
Surefire. Everything else is second best.

I used to feel the way you do until I found this guy:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Now my Surefires are not only brighter, but the batteries last longer! I "hopped-up" my mag lights too. Excellent product and great service. Check it out.

PS: wouldn't recommend using his modifications under the darkcloth or to read camera settings...overkill to the Nth degree. Any simple LED should suffice.

Frank Petronio
12-Feb-2010, 11:45
There are even fancier...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=219071

watch out, hide the credit cards

BrianHook
23-May-2014, 03:36
There are many stores available recently that deals with flashlights. Before buying a flashlights one should keep certain things in mind such as brightness, portability and functionality.

Drew Bedo
23-May-2014, 04:57
I have used my cell phone in a pinch.

Pelican used to make a rugged pocket flashlight with a red light for use by astro photographers. Check a telescope shop.

Richard Johnson
23-May-2014, 05:54
I found the bright yellow 2-AA nylon-plastic models from Streamlight to be a good value for household emergencies, about $20 each so you can stash them around the house. They are solidly built for plastic flashlights.

I also have Surefire headlamp and a extra bright double CR-123 model - these are really nice compact flashlights. I have driven with only the Surefire (safely as a test) and the small flashlight is just as bright as my car's headlights. They do cost more but are made in the USA and are top quality.

The old D-cell Maglite is relegated to being a personal defense weapon kept under the seat, just in case.

Jmarmck
23-May-2014, 05:59
I have some cheap plastic thing with LED, strobe, whistle. It cost less than 5 bucks if I remember correctly. I have had it several years. It is tied to the main tripod along with the tripod wrenches. Makes for a nice jangling sound when I move, kind of like a cow bell. Keeps the coyotes away and irritates the owls.

paulr
23-May-2014, 08:21
I went to buy a new flashlight for my camera bag recently, and was dismayed to see there's a cult of the über flashlight, teeming with bored afficionados who argue online, spend hundreds of bucks, and place high value on being able to blind people and set fires.

Which means if you just want a decent flashlight, there's a lot innanity to sift through before you can figure out where to draw a reasonable line.

I ended up going the cheap route, which so far I don't regret. This (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GH2AS4I/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) is a crowd favorite on Amazon. So cheap I got 4 of them. One for my girlfriend, one for the toolbox, a couple to just keep around. Ships free from China, which means the usual ethical quandaries of supporting polution and indentured servitude may apply. I'd respect anyone for saying no thanks and paying double for something similar.

The lights themselves seem great. The optics are fully focusable and very high quality. They are bright. If anything, too bright. I don't know why we need flashlights that try to light up the world like a ball park. I find it better to have something that sips battery power more slowly, and doesn't instantly demolish my night vision. BTW, I don't know yet how much battery life these get. Haven't used them enough. But they take a single AA cell. My one quality concern is the rubber bubble over the on-switch. If it's silicone it will probably last a long time, but I don't know what it is.

For climbing, where my well-being depends on a working light, I spend a bit more. I have a coule of LED headlamps, one by Petzl and one by Black Diamond. The Petzl is very small, and more of a just-in-case llight for if I don't get back in time. The BD is bigger and heavier. I use it for planned pre-dawn starts, and any time I may be in technical terrain or off trail in the dark. Both companies make a wide range of lights and I've found them completely reliable.

Ari
23-May-2014, 08:34
I went to buy a new flashlight for my camera bag recently, and was dismayed to see there's a cult of the über flashlight, teeming with bored afficionados who argue online, spend hundreds of bucks, and place high value on being able to blind people and set fires.

Sounds vaguely familiar...

paulr
23-May-2014, 10:03
Sounds vaguely familiar...

Surely we have no idea what you're suggesting ...

Vaughn
23-May-2014, 10:26
I like the ones I got 'free' from Freestyle. They came with packs of Kodak AA batteries. No longer on their website, but they are similarly shaped like the mini-mags (but beam not adjustable and on/off button on the end). Very bright. I have one taped to my handlebars of my bicycle for riding at night (gaffer's tape, of course) and will be taking a couple with me backpacking this weekend.

AtlantaTerry
27-Jun-2014, 23:40
All my LED flashlights are purchased from eBay vendors. They all use a #18650 battery.

Search eBay for terms such as "18650" and "Ultrafire" and "CREE".

Each of my camera bags or cases have a small 18650 LED flashlight. On my hip, I wear a larger one that has a zoom lens encased in a ripstop Nylon belt holster. (Yes, I'm a geek!)
NOTE: be sure to buy the belt holster from the same vendor as the flashlight so the fit will be right. Very often you can find a package deal: flashlight + belt holster.

Be sure to buy an 18650 AC charger because they don't yet seem to be available locally.

Small 18650 LED flashlights often come with an adapter that allows one to use three AAA batteries instead of one 18650. The nice thing about that is you can find AAA batteries just about anywhere in the world, if needed.

I have used my 18650 LED flashlights as kickers when I was Director of Photography on the film "Family Business" when we were filming on city streets in the middle of the night. The flashlights fit perfectly into microphone shock mounts. They also fit into inexpensive bicycle clamps but instead of bikes, I attach them to my light stands.

BTW, "18650" has something to do with the dimensions. The inner workings are a result of laptop computer battery research.

The batteries I buy are marked:
UltraFire (R)
BRC 18650 4000mAh
3.7V Li-ion

Tim Meisburger
28-Jun-2014, 03:36
Hi Terry. Can you tell me how many lumens they are? I see they go all the way up to about 18,000, but I'm no sure what a useful number would be.

old time photo
28-Jun-2014, 18:21
My small, light, bright flashlight of many years died and I'm looking for a replacement. I see there are small LED flashlights now--any good? Maglites seem heavy. What's your favorite portable flashlight for reading f/stops in dim light?
Sure fire is the way to go Maglites are cheaper A lot cheaper. But when the flashlight has to work maglights don't cut it. I am speaking of the aa type.
I use the sure fire on construction jobs where there is dirt and dust. There the best of the crop.

HMG
28-Jun-2014, 20:55

My 3 yo granddaughter wants a camera. I'm thinking of getting her a Sinar.

My gosh, the OP is talking about reading f/stops in dim light. I'm assuming he's not going to foil a car-jacking (3+ D Maglite) or shoot coyotes at a bazillion yards (Fenix) or whatever.

So here's what you do. Buy one of the Inova Microlights in red. Do you have teeth? If so, you have a holder for the microlight. If you're worried about enough light to get back to the car, get a AA Maglite (We had all the scouts in my troop get them. Never a failure except batteries. There is no tougher test panel than a bunch of Boy Scouts.). With the extra money you save, buy film.

Unless of course you get your jollies by focusing on arcane technical features (been there, done that, and yes, still do).

BTW, I've occasionally read some of the posts on the Candlepower forum. I bet they wonder why we obsess on film and developers.