PDA

View Full Version : Photographers' Forumlary c-41?

Bruce Watson
16-Nov-2009, 13:29
I read a rumor a while back that Photographers' Formulary (http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx) was considering making a C-41 kit (probably E-6 also) suitable for small batch processing (like a Jobo). What I saw was 1 liter kits.

I don't find anything like that on their website, and my email to them hasn't been answered. It would be wonderful to have such a kit since few of us have local pro labs available anymore.

Can anyone either substantiate the rumor or deny it? Anyone else want such a small batch C-41 kit? Or am I the only one?

Sevo
16-Nov-2009, 16:32
AFAIK Tetenal still has several 1l kits, certainly C41 and E6 Colortec, and it almost seems as if the C41 Press Kits still exists besides that.

domaz
16-Nov-2009, 16:45
The rumor specifically was Formulary was going to make a kit without Blix. Blixes are considered very bad practice and Tetenal and several other small batch kits use them.

Sevo
16-Nov-2009, 16:59
The rumor specifically was Formulary was going to make a kit without Blix. Blixes are considered very bad practice

For superstitious reasons only when it comes to small kits. The issue with blix is that it does neither age nor replenish gracefully. At pro lab scale, it is just a way to spend extra money on incompletely bleached film. But that is irrelevant when it comes to the near one-shot development with these tiny kits.

Sevo

Bruce Watson
17-Nov-2009, 09:43
Photographers' Formulary doesn't make the Tenenal kit AFAIK. So this doesn't answer my questions.

What do you know about Photographers' Forumlary making a C-41 kit?

Stephen Willard
17-Nov-2009, 16:41
I have been in contact with Sherry at Photographer's Formulary since last March about their C-41 chemistry. Here is the latest email I just received from her dated October 27th.

HI Stephen
What we are going to be selling is Kodak's C-41 chemistry but it will be packaged to make 1 liter of working solution. So the instructions you have for the Kodak will work as far as steps. It will consist of the developer bleach and fix I'm not sure about the stabilizer I don't think we are doing that portion with the stuff we have.
Sherry

Please email Sherry at formulary@blackfoot.net and express your interest in their efforts.

Furthermore, you can get Kodak C41 Flexicolor SM developer for mini labs that makes a 2 L batch. It is the same chemistry as the one gallon mix that Kodak discontinued. It is hard to find, but I have a source for those that are interested as follows:

Denver Pro Photo
235 S Cherokee St.
Denver CO 80223

Ask for Victor Guarino. He will take care of you. They will ship the stuff anywhere.

Here is the C41 chemistry I purchase from Denver Pro Photo with volumes and prices:

Kodak Flexicolor SM Develper 2L $15.92
Kodak Indicator Stop 16 oz. $7.25
Trebla Beach 5L $31.16
Trebla Fixer 5L $4.75
Kodak Final Rinse 5L $6.25

Hope this helps...

Bruce Watson
18-Nov-2009, 06:41
Just the information I was looking for! Thanks for posting.

Jrewt
18-Nov-2009, 07:59
Holy Crap! I've been looking for information like this since last january!!@#$ THANKS STEPHEN!

Stephen Willard
18-Nov-2009, 09:10
You are welcome!

I forgot to include Denver Pro Photo's contact information as follows:

Phone: 303-698-1790 or 866-360-4940
Fax: 303-698-1720

Victor is a real nice guy and he will help you with all your needs.

Howard Tanger
18-Nov-2009, 17:59
Holy Crap! I've been looking for information like this since last january!!@#$ THANKS STEPHEN!

Did anyone think to look at Freestyle's web site. They have sold C41 and E6 kits for eons. For C41 they have liquid and powder kits. Howard Tanger

Oren Grad
18-Nov-2009, 18:10
Did anyone think to look at Freestyle's web site. They have sold C41 and E6 kits for eons. For C41 they have liquid and powder kits. Howard Tanger

Both of those kits use blixes.

More information and discussion on the blix question here (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/66907-just-how-bad-blix-vs-bleach-fixer.html).

Bruce Watson
19-Nov-2009, 08:42

Yep. But I didn't ask about Freestyle. I asked about Photographers' Formulary.

domaz
19-Nov-2009, 10:04
For superstitious reasons only when it comes to small kits. The issue with blix is that it does neither age nor replenish gracefully. At pro lab scale, it is just a way to spend extra money on incompletely bleached film. But that is irrelevant when it comes to the near one-shot development with these tiny kits.

Sevo

Blix doesn't remove all the silver 100% of the time. Whether it's on a pro lab or a sink lab is irrelevant. What's the point of doing it yourself if your doing it wrong?

Sevo
19-Nov-2009, 10:52
Blix doesn't remove all the silver 100% of the time. Whether it's on a pro lab or a sink lab is irrelevant. What's the point of doing it yourself if your doing it wrong?

Blix, in the common configuration as a near one-shot kit, removes enough silver to leave no residue visible in my scanner IR channel - and has done so for something like 22 years, going by my oldest blixed film. That is enough for me. Arguably, film blix never was any good for replenished processes or large volumes - but we're talking 1l here...

Sevo