PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Color Karden Rain Gear Re-Attachment

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2009, 11:21
I have an 8x10 triplex Linhof Color Karden that has a 52" rail with one of the bottom gear rails that has detached. My questions is what is the best way of re-attaching it securely to the bottom of the rail so it stays put. The rail and the gear are both metal.

It appears that the opposite gear rail has been glued (maybe super glue or some other clear epoxy) and it appears to be holding - at least for now. I am ruling out any welding process because of the heat so I am looking for suggestions as to if there is a specialty glue or some other adhesive so I only have to do this one time. The prospects of being able to use my 42" Red Dot Artar on 8x10 could be interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Wasserman
15-Nov-2009, 12:09
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3341/=4ilv1j

You would have to purchase an applicator gun and nozzles, but I've had really good experience with acrylic adhesives on metals.

Peter K
15-Nov-2009, 15:38
Why not with the original screws M 3 x 7 mm? If the thread is demaged you can also use longer screws and a nut. There is some space inside the tube.

Steve Hamley
15-Nov-2009, 16:54
I'd probably send it S.K. Grimes or a competent local machinist. Repair would be fairly straightforward if you have the equipment. They'd probably move the screw location a few millimeters and install new screws, or possibly Loctite an insert into the probably over sized rail holes then drill and re-tap them.

Cheers, Steve

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2009, 17:58
Why not with the original screws M 3 x 7 mm? If the thread is demaged you can also use longer screws and a nut. There is some space inside the tube.

The camera system came with two heavy silver rails that in fact have screws holding the geared rail to the center rail. On is about 39" and another is shorter. The longer one that I have is a black metal and is 52" long and does not have the screws inserted in the bottom as the others do. That is the one I am posting about.

I may look for a local machinist to affix the gear tack to the rail. That way I would know that it is staying out. Adhesives are holding the front gear in place and it would be my luck to get the camera set up and I would be doing some focusing and "chink" the rail would come loose and that would be the end of that image.

Peter K
15-Nov-2009, 18:06
The longer one that I have is a black metal and is 52" long and does not have the screws inserted in the bottom as the others do. That is the one I am posting about.
The original rails for the Kardan-Color where allways made with a chromium layer. Also the rail for the copy-stand. So it looks like your long one is a DIY.

Peter

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2009, 18:16
The original rails for the Kardan-Color where allways made with a chromium layer. Also the rail for the copy-stand. So it looks like your long one is a DIY.

Peter

Help me out. What is a DIY?

venchka
15-Nov-2009, 18:34
Do It Yourself. A previous owner made, or had made, a non-standard rail.

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2009, 19:58
Do It Yourself. A previous owner made, or had made, a non-standard rail.

Someone knew what they were doing with this if they did it by themselves. Machined recess in the circular rail that perfectly match the geared rail and the circular end. The other feature that stands out is that this rail is less than 1/2 of the weight of the chrome Linhof rail that is 14" shorter.

venchka
15-Nov-2009, 20:30
Alas, they omitted mechanical fastening. Easily remedied.

Peter K
16-Nov-2009, 05:57
Someone knew what they were doing with this if they did it by themselves. Machined recess in the circular rail that perfectly match the geared rail and the circular end. The other feature that stands out is that this rail is less than 1/2 of the weight of the chrome Linhof rail that is 14" shorter.
The Kardan-Color is a heavy camera so Linhof used the same material as for the bench of the Kardan, steel. With this material the geared rail is fastened forever. :cool: