PDA

View Full Version : filters for linhof technorama

orlando graham
12-Nov-2009, 23:03
hello
i have only really begun dappling in landscape photography and currently shoot with an old nikon slr
at this stage i have yet to purchase a filter system but have been looking into the lee range with a view to purchasing a linhof technorama whenever possible
i would like to know which lee system would be applicable for that cameras widest lens and whether i can adapt it to my 28-70mm nikkor (52mm thread) for the time being?

thankyou

Joanna Carter
13-Nov-2009, 01:47
i have only really begun dappling in landscape photography and currently shoot with an old nikon slr
at this stage i have yet to purchase a filter system but have been looking into the lee range with a view to purchasing a linhof technorama whenever possible
i would like to know which lee system would be applicable for that cameras widest lens and whether i can adapt it to my 28-70mm nikkor (52mm thread) for the time being?
The Lee system will fit on most cameras; all you need to move it from one lens to another is the appropriate adapter ring. If you are in the UK or Europe, I am a dealer and can provide Lee product at a slight discount for forum members.

cjbroadbent
13-Nov-2009, 17:26
The Lee system will fit on most cameras ...
(Joanna, nice to know you've got Lee.)
I use a Lee compendium on my Technorama with a couple of adapter rings and Lee neutral density wedges. I tried a few; Lee is best but the setup is a bit cumbersome.
It does take a bit of preparatory experimentation to find the maximum extension that won't vignette. And then you mustn't lose it. Neither is it straightforward to place the ND wedge at a useful height with the correct f-stop. Sometimes with the Technorama you miss a ground-glass. I usualy chicken-out and use orange instaid of the ND.
If you do panoramas with a Seitz, you can modify the removable slit (in factory) to get a darker sky. Any panoramic camera with a slit can be adjusted by narrowing it at the sky end with black tape. Not so the Technorama.

Joanna Carter
14-Nov-2009, 01:14
It does take a bit of preparatory experimentation to find the maximum extension that won't vignette. And then you mustn't lose it. Neither is it straightforward to place the ND wedge at a useful height with the correct f-stop. Sometimes with the Technorama you miss a ground-glass. I usualy chicken-out and use orange instaid of the ND.
If you are using a camera without a GG, I would agree that setting up either a compendium or a wedge is much more difficult. Fortunately the Technorama does allow the use of a GG, thus making life a bit easier.

For aligning the compendium, I find it easier to look from the lens towards the GG rather than the other way around; it just seems easier to see the corners of the screen rather than looking for the edges of the shade.

As for ND wedges, I sometimes use a strong orange grad to help align the wedge, replacing it with the appropriate ND grad at the same position.

If you do panoramas with a Seitz, you can modify the removable slit (in factory) to get a darker sky. Any panoramic camera with a slit can be adjusted by narrowing it at the sky end with black tape. Not so the Technorama.
That will only work if you only do landscape-oriented panoramas; should you want to do portrait-oriented, you could get some unusual results ;) :confused: :rolleyes:

orlando graham
14-Nov-2009, 01:59
thanks for your reply joanna
im from australia by the way
what about filter holder sizes-would the latest rangefinder system be too small?

Joanna Carter
14-Nov-2009, 02:11
what about filter holder sizes-would the latest rangefinder system be too small?
The rangefinder system is primarily designed for lenses no bigger than 67mm diameter and uses 75mm filters, so it would depend on what lenses you anticipate using.

orlando graham
14-Nov-2009, 02:44
more than likely the wider end of the spectrum, ie: 72, 90 or maybe also 150mm