PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic "Graflex" or "Graphic" for my Crown Graphic?

nonuniform
12-Nov-2009, 16:19
I'm just trying to figure out which Grafmatic I should consider. I have a Crown Graphic with a Top RF and Graflok back. Not sure which version of the Grafmatic is better for me - the Graflex or Graphic.

Thanks!

Glenn Thoreson
12-Nov-2009, 17:25
There is only one that will fit your camera. They didn't make one for the cameras with the "Graflex" back. It will be labeled Graflex but it fits the Graphic spring and Graflok backs. The word "Graphic" is what tells you that.
Makes sense, I hope. :D

Michael Cienfuegos
12-Nov-2009, 17:34
There is only one that will fit your camera. They didn't make one for the cameras with the "Graflex" back. It will be labeled Graflex but it fits the Graphic spring and Graflok backs. The word "Graphic" is what tells you that.
Makes sense, I hope. :D

I have a Grafmatic made for a Graflex back. I have it on my 4x5 RB Series B Graflex. You are right, a "Graflex" back will NOT fit a Graphic spring or Graflok back. I have one for my Speed Graphic, and it fits fine. They are definitely two different creatures.:)

salihonba
12-Nov-2009, 17:49
Grafmatic holder Cat. No.1268 is for Graflok back, check it out.

Glenn Thoreson
12-Nov-2009, 18:56
I have a Grafmatic made for a Graflex back. I have it on my 4x5 RB Series B Graflex. You are right, a "Graflex" back will NOT fit a Graphic spring or Graflok back. I have one for my Speed Graphic, and it fits fine. They are definitely two different creatures.:)

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of one. Especially since the Grafmatic didn't come out until about 1950, and the cameras with Graflex backs were starting to go out of fashion. Learn something every day. :D

Paul Ewins
12-Nov-2009, 19:07
Hmm, I guess I'm pimping my own articles, but look here (http://members.optuszoo.com/~paulewins/resources/grafmatic.htm) for a quick guide to getting the right Grafmatic. You definitely need the much more common "Graphic" type. You can't go too far wrong since the "Graflex" type are rare enough that if you got them by mistake reselling them would be very easy.

Have a look at the pages on Bag Mags and Film Pack adapters since people occasionally get them confused with grafmatics.

HTH,
Paul

bbjorkum
13-Nov-2009, 02:35
Graflok-grafmatics are number 1268. Graflex-grafmatics are number 1168.

eddie
13-Nov-2009, 04:52
the 1168 are in high demand for sure. very rare. i am confident you will not be (un)lucky to find an 1168.

cheers

eddie

jbenedict
13-Nov-2009, 06:09
Hmm, I guess I'm pimping my own articles, but look here (http://members.optuszoo.com/~paulewins/resources/grafmatic.htm) for a quick guide to getting the right Grafmatic.

Good articles, Paul.

I would have liked to try film pack but I was just too late! Sure would be handy when just being out and about with the handheld 4x5.

nonuniform
13-Nov-2009, 14:43
Ah, I get it now. I read Paul's article that stated pretty clearly which version I need.

Thanks!

Michael Cienfuegos
13-Nov-2009, 20:24
the 1168 are in high demand for sure. very rare. i am confident you will not be (un)lucky to find an 1168.

cheers

eddie

You never know. There is one on the 'bay right now. Seller wants $150 for it. It is definitely for a Graflex back. Way too much. :eek: