PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 135-W or Fuji 135-CMW??

PBrooks
12-Nov-2009, 15:50
Hello, I just wanted to get opinions of these two lenses. Thanks in advance for your comments.
PBrooks :)

Gem Singer
12-Nov-2009, 16:35
I have owned and used both of these lenses.

The major differences: the Fuji takes 67mm screw-in filters and the Nikkor takes 52mm screw-in filters; and the Fuji 135 CM-W throws a slightly larger image circle than the Nikkor 135 W.

Also, Fuji claims that they use fewer cemented glass elements in the CM-W series due to the EBC lens coatings.

Otherwise, both are excellent lenses.

If I had to choose between the two, i would purchase one where I could get the best deal, based on the condition of the glass and shutter.

I sold the Nikkor to a friend, but I still own the Fuji f5.6 135 CM-W.

PBrooks
12-Nov-2009, 20:11
Thanks Gem, I have read some pretty bad things about the Nikon resolution.

Gem Singer
12-Nov-2009, 20:32
I don't know where you read bad things about the resolution of the Nikkor 135W.

I've never read, nor heard. a remark that would indicate that the Nikkor f5.6 135W has a resolution problem. In fact, just the opposite.

Bob McCarthy has been using my Nikkor 135W on his 4x5 Sinar. He is very particular about the lenses he uses, and he really likes the results he is getting with that lens.

If you have a negative mind set about the Nikkor, choose the Fujinon. I believe that you cannot go wrong with either one of those lenses.

David Karp
12-Nov-2009, 22:22
Another viable and less expensive option would be the 135mm f/5.6 Fujinon NW. It has the EBC multicoating, is smaller than the CM-W, and if it is anything like the 125mm and 150mm NWs, it is a very nice lens. It uses 52mm filters vs. the CM-W's 67mm filters. The CM-W has a 214mm image circle, while the NW has a 206mm image circle.

PBrooks
12-Nov-2009, 22:34
Thanks David, I have a huge gap to fill (I know that sounds bad huh). But seriously like between 65 and 210. I think I should be fine with the 135 fuji cmw with 67 filters, cause all my other lenses have 67 filters. Do you have one of the NW or CMW?

David Karp
12-Nov-2009, 22:47
I have NWs in 150mm and 125mm and find them to be very nice. Most of my 4 x 5 lenses use 52mm filters, so they fit in perfectly. They are also usually very reasonably priced, because people want the newer versions. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between photos taken with the NW or CM-W series. The CM-W lenses have somewhat larger image circles, which can be handy if you need every last mm.

venchka
12-Nov-2009, 22:59
If you should stumble across the Fujinon-W 125mm 5.6 lens with the stealth EBC multicoating (it's there but the letters EBC are not on the lens) in a Copal #0 shutter and it uses 46mm filters and the price is right BUY IT. It's a tiny gem of a lens.

Otherwise, continue to look for a 135mm lens.

Drew Wiley
13-Nov-2009, 11:47
I have an older Fuji 125 W that is multicoated and takes the 52mm filter size. It's
simply outstanding. I doubt the CMW is different in any respect except that they standardized the filter size on most of the series to 67mm.

Gem Singer
13-Nov-2009, 12:54
The OP is looking for a 135CM-W.

Why are you guys recommending that he switch to a 125W or a 150W?

Do you have something against the 135 focal length or the newer CM-W series?

David Karp
13-Nov-2009, 13:29
Hi Doc,

I'm not suggesting either size. I just said that I have a 125 and a 150 in the NW series, and if the 135 NW is as good as these, he could save some $ and have a really nice lens. He asked if I have an NW or CM-W, and I reiterated that I own a 125 and 150 and like them both a lot. The CM-W will fit nicely with his kit, because all of his lenses are 67mm. It will also give him a bit more coverage. I just suggested a 135 NW in case, like me, he is on a budget. If so, the NW is a great deal and a very good lens.

venchka
13-Nov-2009, 15:19
Needless to say David and Drew influenced me greatly. Yes. I like 125mm. I like saving money. I like saving size and weight.

I started with an Ektar 127mm lens. The Fujinon-W 125mm lens comes with a larger image circle and similar overall size as the Ektar. I already had a handful of B+W 46mm filters for the rangefinder lenses. More money saved.

That's just me. The OP wants a 135mm lens with 67mm filters. I can appreciate that.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.

Gem Singer
13-Nov-2009, 16:10
Wayne,

My point is that neither you nor David owns, or have hands-on experience, with a Nikkor f5.6 135W or a Fujinon f5.6 135CM-W lens.

The OP specifically asked for a comparison between those two lenses.

Neither you nor David were able to offer any specific information. Instead, both of you mentioned lenses of different focal lengths, stating that they would be less costly, smaller in size, etc. The OP never implied that he was looking for a lower price or a smaller, lighter weight lens. You merely assumed that.

David recommended the Fuji lenses without comparing them to the Nikkor lenses. He assumed that the older Fuji W series would be equal to the newer Fuji CM-W series if both were EBC coated. There are several other significant improvements in the manufacturing process of the CM-W series.
Of course they are more expensive. That's not what the OP was inquiring about.

Since I know both of you guys, I am assuming that I can talk to you as a friend.
Please don't take my remarks as being hostile.

Drew Wiley
13-Nov-2009, 16:57
Gem - wasn't suggesting a change in the focal length, but was merely implying what a
strong reputation Fuji has in this series of lenses, whether or not they are the very
latest rendition. And sometimes something like a smaller filter size or a little less bulk is a deciding factor.

David Karp
13-Nov-2009, 19:56
I did not compare to the Nikkor lenses because you already did. And, to be honest, in most instances, I don't think it matters whether you buy a Nikkor or a Fuji. Nobody else will know the difference, and chances are, if a photographer did not know which lens was used to their own photo, they would not be able to tell either.

I did not say the two series of Fujis were equal. I do believe, however, that nobody would be able to tell the difference in photos taken in real world use between the two series of Fuji lenses. The lower price or smaller size of the NW might have been attractive, so that is why I mentioned it.

It does not seem to be a problem to me to mention something that is not exactly what the original poster asked about. Sometimes extra information turns out to be useful, sometimes it can be ignored. That is for the original poster to decide.

I know you are not being hostile. No offense taken. Just a different viewpoint on how conversations go.

PBrooks
13-Nov-2009, 21:00
Hey guys thanks for all the comments. I ended up ordering a 135cmw from keh. I think I got a good deal on it. I did look online for the NW but the only thing I could find was on evilbay coming from japan. The written info I read on the nikon came from photo.net and then the resolution test done over at Kerry T's website link. Thanks again for all your comments and I'm sure I will use and enjoy the lens for many years.
PBrooks

venchka
13-Nov-2009, 21:29
Enjoy!

David Karp
14-Nov-2009, 12:31
Enjoy the Fuji. So far, I have not met a Fujinon LF lens that I did not like!

venchka
14-Nov-2009, 18:53
Enjoy the Fuji. So far, I have not met a Fujinon LF lens that I did not like!

Amen! I'm 2 for 2.

Merg Ross
14-Nov-2009, 19:06
It was Gem who introduced me to Fujinon lenses five or six years ago. On his recommendation, I purchased a new Fujinon 125mm from Jim at Midwest. It is a terrific lens, which I use most often on the Toyo AX and sometimes on the Cambo. Thank you, Gem.

Gem Singer
14-Nov-2009, 20:32
My pleasure Merg. I'm glad you are enjoying your Fuji 125CM-W.

I still treasure the set of four Fujinon lenses I use with my 4x5 Canham Traditional. They are: 90SW, 135CM-W, 180CM-W, and 250CM-W.

In fact, i was out shooting with them this morning, along with William McEwen, Bob McCarthy, and Glenn Mellen.

Bob was using his Nikkor 135W. It's his favorite lens to use on his 4x5 Sinar F.

After the shoot, we enjoyed some great Texas BarBQ.

Wish you could have be here with us.

Merg Ross
14-Nov-2009, 21:09
My pleasure Merg. I'm glad you are enjoying your Fuji 125CM-W.

I still treasure the set of four Fujinon lenses I use with my 4x5 Canham Traditional. They are: 90SW, 135CM-W, 180CM-W, and 250CM-W.

In fact, i was out shooting with them this morning, along with William McEwen, Bob McCarthy, and Glenn Mellen.

Bob was using his Nikkor 135W. It's his favorite lens to use on his 4x5 Sinar F.

After the shoot, we enjoyed some great Texas BarBQ.

Wish you could have be here with us.

Yes, I also wish I could join you for your shoots. Too bad Texas is so far away, or perhaps it is California that is far away! You have been a big help over the years, I appreciate it.

By the way, you have a good choice of focal lengths, they fall somewhat between mine which are: 90, 125, 150, 210 , 270. The 180 is a lens that I would probably like, although I have never owned one.

Bob McCarthy
14-Nov-2009, 21:40
My choosing of the 135 mm focal length is, I like a slightly wide normal. I am a fan of Nikon lenses and have been an owner of the range from 75mm to 300mm. But I've also owned, Fuji's, and Schneiders. One Calumet was inherited with a camera purchase.

Perhaps I should speak up regarding the 135 mm Fuji and Nikkor. I abandoned the Fujis I owned when I bought the Technika 2000. The aperture adjustment handle is on the bottom on Fuji lenses and it was a nuisance with the close bottom clearances in the Linhof front end. Yes I know you can use the smallish pointer on the upper part of the shutter, I chose not to do so as I wanted to precisely set the aperture.

The Nikon 135 mm has a poor rep, I believe in large part, because KT came up with rather poor edges in the examples he tested. I in no way want to question KT, but I've owned 2 examples of the lens, and in neither case was the 135mm a poor performer. I've often wondered if the first test was done with everything zeroed out as center resolution was very good, what I see with mine, but my edges are sharp, not poor as were the results of the test.

Realistically either lens will get the job done well. My buddy Scott tested the top of the heap at 135, being the Rodenstock APO Sironar "S". Not to common used, unlike the Nikkor and to a certain degree the Fuji.

My advice is, buy the one that is the best deal. The differences are nothing compared with proper focus, stable platform and pointing the camera at something worth shooting.

bob

Andre Noble
14-Nov-2009, 22:08
Sounds like you are looking for smaller sized lens. Otherwise, I would recommend the Nikkor SW 120 F8. Phenomenally sharp for its huge image circle.