PDA

View Full Version : Reciprocity advice

Patricia Ward
12-Nov-2009, 04:52
Hello,
I will be shooting the artificially lit interiors (no natural light at all) of a few buildings over the next few weeks. I am a student and familiar with using black and white film and its reccomended reciprocity compensations however I will be using fujicolour 160S 5x4 for these shoots and I cant find any guide lines for reciprocity for this film. The exposures are going to be long I imagine very long in some cases so if there is anyone willing to share their knowledge and experience of this film I would be most grateful.
Many thanks, Trish

Jim Michael
12-Nov-2009, 04:59
There is a product sheet at http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/AF3-204U_Pro160C_Product_Information_Bulletin.pdf which has a long exposure compensation table up to 32 sec. I would plot on a graph the 2, 4, and 32 sec exposure compensation points and then extrapolate the curve out to further times if required.

Sascha Welter
12-Nov-2009, 05:14
Some documents from Fuji simply don't mention anything beyond 32secs, one document I've found gives times of more than 32 seconds as "not recommended". No explanation though. Since I have ordered some 160S myself, I'll just try it with some "generic" reciprocity compensation and see what will happen.

If I'd be doing it for work, I'd do a test run first, since I'm doing it only for fun, my pictures are my test run.

neil poulsen
12-Nov-2009, 07:29
From my recollection, the addition of reciprocity of a stop at 32 is new. I know I've looked up reciprocity for Fuji 160 pro, and it didn't have values beyond 2 seconds.

Based on this data, I would estimate that there would be a two-thirds stop correction at 13.6 seconds, or let's say 14 seconds.

Patricia Ward
12-Nov-2009, 12:35
Hi, thank you for all your advice and to Jim for the link.
I had seen this before however I have to say it threw me off because it refers to Lens opening.

As I don't want to open up my aperture I imagine I will be converting the relative aperture into time so that if at 4 seconds the 1/3 correction would mean i would expose for 5.3 seconds and at 32 the+1 would mean I am exposing for 64 seconds? If this is correct I just want to check that I have grasped this concept right?
I know it says its not recommended but I have only found 2 negative colour films one being the Fujicolour 160 and the kodak Portra both of which seem to be for portraiture and I have been unable to find negative film in the UK to fit my subject matter.
Also when reading up on the fujicolour 160s I have seen a lot of people say that they rate it at 100 ISO rather than 160. Has anyone on this forum found that this is better??
Thanks you again for everyones input.