PDA

View Full Version : Wista Metal 8x10 opinions?

Chris Dunham
11-Nov-2009, 19:29
I'm looking at a Wista (Rittrack) metal camera with a 8x10 back, does anyone here have any experience with such an animal? Any opinions re it's suitability for field use as compared to Kodak Master or Wehman etc?

Chris.

Oren Grad
11-Nov-2009, 20:00
The "native" format of the Rittreck is 5x7. The 8x10 back is a truncated-pyramid type expander back. Compared to a camera designed for 8x10, the Rittreck with expander back is very limited in both the range of focal lengths and the range of movements it can support.

If your primary interest is 8x10, you will be much better off with a camera designed for that format. This one isn't even a close call.

Chris Dunham
11-Nov-2009, 20:32
The "native" format of the Rittreck is 5x7. The 8x10 back is a truncated-pyramid type expander back. Compared to a camera designed for 8x10, the Rittreck with expander back is very limited in both the range of focal lengths and the range of movements it can support.

If your primary interest is 8x10, you will be much better off with a camera designed for that format. This one isn't even a close call.

Thanks Oran, that's what I needed.

Regards,

Chris.

Gene McCluney
12-Nov-2009, 09:38
I have one of these. If your primary film size is 5x7 and you want to shoot an occaisional 8x10 it might be OK, as it is a very compact camera to transport (with 5x7 or 4x5 back on). If your primary interest is 8x10, you will be much better served with a 8c10 field camera...